Neo Geo AES Cartridge Slot Repair / Replacement (?)

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
Hey guys,

Haven't really come across this problem before with an AES. Seems that someone has messed about with one of the cartridge connectors and bent most of the pins.

The result is that the graphics and sound are intermittent/blocky, if you move the cartridge around in the slot some graphics appear, some disappear, sound goes on and off etc..

I'm wondering if this is fixable somehow, or is the only way to repair, by way of a replacement AES cartridge connector; and where would one obtain such a thing?

neogeo_brokencartconnector_1.jpg

Closer up.. looks bad, doesn't it? :eek:

neogeo_brokencartconnector_2.jpg

Thanks in advance for any advice offered :)

Also, you have to turn the system on and off around 5 times to get it to turn on.. is this a dodgy power switch, or possibly the large capacitor next to the power switch needing replacing or what..? :conf:

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Not sure on the power part but the only way to get a replacement cartridge slot is to pull one from a donor board.

(I just happen to have some here ;) )

RJ

MKL

Basara's Blade Keeper
20 Year Member
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=395-100-524-204-ND

These should be correct replacements. There are several features to consider and I may have overlooked something (will check again tomorrow). Too bad the minimum quantity is 25 pcs and with $13 a piece it becomes quite expensive when you need just one. But perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some of these connectors as they could be harder to find in the future and pulling connectors from dead systems doesn't sound like a great option (you would still end up with used/worn connectors).

dannywhac

Cheng's Errand Boy
Alright Chaotic - looks like someones done the old 'bend the pins forward to make better contact' trick, and its not done the AES any good - by the looks of the piccy, there's still a couple of pins bent back that won't make contact.

You tried slapping in a game board and multimetering to test which aren't making contact? Maybe (although the slot looks a bit unsightly), it can still be saved by bending a couple of the pins forward?

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
channelmaniac said:
Not sure on the power part but the only way to get a replacement cartridge slot is to pull one from a donor board.

(I just happen to have some here ;) )

RJ

The power issue seems OK now.. it only really does it if you turn on and off a few times, which obviously isn't that great an idea anyway..

MKL said:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...100-524-204-ND

These should be correct replacements. There are several features to consider and I may have overlooked something (will check again tomorrow). Too bad the minimum quantity is 25 pcs and with $13 a piece it becomes quite expensive when you need just one. But perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea to invest in some of these connectors as they could be harder to find in the future and pulling connectors from dead systems doesn't sound like a great option (you would still end up with used/worn connectors).

Thanks for that MKL. I requested a sample of the part, from the manufacturers website. It seems that they have their European regional headquarters in the UK. I desoldered the old connector the other day, nice and clean, a good job.

I'll let you know if and when I get the sample if it's the correct one..

I think 25 connectors is far too many to invest in for me personally (I haven't needed one before..) but perhaps if a few people were interested we could do some sort of "group buy" ? I'm not really sure, anyway, we'll see..

dannywhac said:
Alright Chaotic - looks like someones done the old 'bend the pins forward to make better contact' trick, and its not done the AES any good - by the looks of the piccy, there's still a couple of pins bent back that won't make contact.

You tried slapping in a game board and multimetering to test which aren't making contact? Maybe (although the slot looks a bit unsightly), it can still be saved by bending a couple of the pins forward?

Hey danny. Yeah I suspected as much.. the thing is a lot of the plastic posts either side of the pins are damaged or broken off in some way.. I think the connector is trash really..

I did think about seeing which pins weren't connecting in the way you describe, but when moving the cartridge carefully it seemed it was basically a majority of pins..

The underside of the board has evidence of some previous tinkering.. whether there is some other problem with it remains to be seen.. but certainly whoever bent the cartridge connector pins really fucked up good :glee: