Neo-Geo AES RGB Output Problem (with pics)

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Right,

Basically I have a 245,XXX Range Home System that I was currently running through Composite, I decided to buy an RGB cable (knowing that it obviously wouldn't look as good as if it were a lower serial numbered system) to sharpen the image up but the picture seems to suffer from some strange vertical lines.

Heres what the image looks like running Composite Cables:
DSC00017.jpg

Then heres what the same image looks like through the new RGB Cables:
DSC00014.jpg

The image is obviously clearer which was the idea but as you can see quite clearly see theres white-ish lines running down the screen (static not scrolling) and I'd like to know whats causing it.. Could it be the cable/TV/fact its a high serial number system? and is it fixable? (RGB mod or otherwise)

Any help would be appreciated..

Cheers Olly.

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
I think the high serial AES do this.. you should have an RGB bypass installed..

Is this an LCD TV or a CRT?

I know that on my LCD, a Neo syncs but has various "blips" etc on the screen..

TrueTrials

Olly C,
15 Year Member
Thats running through an LCD HDTV with each cable but I'll try it on a 4:3 CRT and 16:9 CRT tomorrow and see if its any different, BTW I just PM'd you over at NTSC-uk forums so have a read of that...

Any other input from other members very welcome too!

More stuff to note:

I'm not using a switch box of any kind, I ran those pictures 16:9 on an LCD TV both times only switching the cable over each time to take the pics the rest is the same.

Cheers Olly.

dreamstationx

Marked Wolf
20 Year Member
Hi buddy...
I have dealt with RGB Scart and all cables for years right back to the first consoles to use them, probable the PC Engine in the late 80's.... I am a right twat for being picture fussy and the later Neo consoles are simply NOT that bad at all... Honestly they just seem to have a higher contrast so seem to show more brighter white with a slight glow to it, the old serials are sharper but slight off-white, a little dull looking so if you try both one fater the other, you tend to feel both are good and slightly poor in different ways...

Anyway, the screen you show is something I have not seen beofre at all so it may be even a dodgy lead but it is 100% NOT due to the serial number... You get a slight dot efferct too with the high serials but again its extreamly minimal and on an average decent regular TV its still topps...

Make sure the opinions too are people who are familiar with RGB Scart as many countries out of the UK dont have it...

Also, new Plasma or LCD screens that are all over the place nowdays are SHITE with Scart leads... Most have tons of Scart sockets but the image is proper naff compared to a regular CRT TV. I have a 42" Sony Plasma and the regular TV image is pretty shite... most of the family think its fine but when you are used to a PROPER RGB SCART image on a regular TV, Plasma or LCD are crap... Compontent DVD or Hi-Def is something else however.... I have never tried the Neo on my Plasma with Scart but I will bet its shite...

Cheers
Rich ! :D

chaoticjelly

Kabuki Klasher
dreamstationx said:
Hi buddy...
I have dealt with RGB Scart and all cables for years right back to the first consoles to use them, probable the PC Engine in the late 80's....

Im also an RGB scart aficionado, cables for every system :tickled:

Anyway, the screen you show is something I have not seen beofre at all so it may be even a dodgy lead but it is 100% NOT due to the serial number...

Admitted, my knowledge about AES isnt massive, however I did read over a lot of posts here about RGB, and theres quite a few where people say they have white vertical lines on high-serial Neos.. just search "white vertical" and some threads will pop up in tech support section..

I thought that it must be poor RGB output, since his composite output has no white lines.. I highly doubt that a faulty scart could cause lines like that.. it doesnt really fit into any of the problems ive encountered repairing quite a few scarts for many systems..

Also, new Plasma or LCD screens that are all over the place nowdays are SHITE with Scart leads... Most have tons of Scart sockets but the image is proper naff compared to a regular CRT TV.

Yeah, thats why I asked him, since I just got a Samsung HDTV and Megadrive, Master System wont even sync on it, Saturn is bearable picture quality, and SNES is downright atrocious :lolz: thank god I didnt buy it to play SD material..

Rocks as a PC monitor tho.. half life 2 in 32"! :loco: