Neo-Geo AES Sound Issue

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
My AES #14,219 seems to be having a wierd sound issue with early Neo-Geo games. Everytime I turn a game on, I seem to keep hearing this wierd constant humming sound coming out of the game. Character selection sound effects also seem almost next to unnoticable. I've already tried cleaning the carts and system and it still does the same thing. I put these same games on my AES #335,815, and doesn't have that problem at all. What gives? I think the system needs to be repaired, but I don't know where I can do that. Please help.

Last edited:

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
Sounds like something is wrong with the analog channel out of the YM2610. I think it's pin 27 from (6th from the bottom right edge) that is the analog channel. It runs from there down into the audio circuit and is summed in with the left and right channels. I would check the caps and resistors along that path to make sure they are all still good.

If you're unsure how to do this stuff, drop me an email at jmkurtz@columbus.rr.com -- I offer free evaluations.

Jeff

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
I took a look just in case and really saw nothing that obstructed the path other than a little bit of dust, and the resisters and caps seemed fine. I closed it, popped in KOF '94 and Samurai Shodown 2 just to test it, and it still had that same constant humming sound. I dropped you in email in regards to this just in case.

SNKNostalgia

Aero Fighters Flyboy
It can be a lot of things. Try moving the system away from other equipment, or try it out on different TVs or stereos first. Checking the grounds and using different cables. If no dice, then clean the crap out of the systems contacts as well as the carts. I had an AES that did something wierd like that also, it turned out to be some connection problem with mobo. After removing it and putting it back in, it just started working fine again.:spock:

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
try slightly lifting up the right side of the cart then turn on the system. Sometimes that can work for sound issues on the neo.

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
Thanks but, trust me, I've tried all kinds of things to it but it still does it. Its something that happens within the game, and I know its not a connection problem because I also have another Neo-Geo AES on the same connection, and all of these games work fine on it.

Lets say I put on Samurai Shodown 1 or KOF '94, it will start fine, but once I get into the game menu, the constant sound starts the moment I choose a menu. The game audio such as music and sound effects works fine, its just that hamming background sound that gets irritating.

Just to let you know, I mostly own KOF and Samurai Shodown games in my collection.

These are the games that have that constant humming background sound...
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Samurai Shodown 2
  • King of Fighters '94
  • King of Fighters '95
  • and anything done before 1995.

Games that have a next to unnoticable character selection and menu sound effects...
  • King of Fighters '96
  • King of Fighters '97
  • King of Fighters '98
  • King of Fighters '99

Oddly, KOF 2000 and onwards sound remarkably fine. It's just these older games that don't.

Anyways, thanks everyone. I've already sent my system to JMKurtz, hopefully he'll be able to fix the problem.

Last edited:

Yuri-chan

Armored Scrum Object
UPDATE: I finally got my Neo-Geo sound issue fixed thanks to Jeff Kurtz. I fully tested all my older games as well as the new ones, and all my games work fine with it!! My husband and I would like to thank you, Jeff!! :) It's times like this when I think message board posting is well worth it. :emb: