Neo Geo CD Games Load Time Question

I will be getting a Neo Geo CD shortly. I was wondering what is the newest fighting game on the CD that does not have very long load times? So I can purchase the others before it. Also do The Last Blade and Metal Slug have bad load times? Thank you.

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
There was a neogeoCD site with a load times chart, I think it was http://www.neogeocd.net/

Well, the only KoF with acceptable load times is 94, so I guess the fighting games up to it are quite OK. I can think of Fatal Fury Special and Art of Fighting 2 being bearable.

Metal Slug loads quite a lot, but I think it was acceptable. However Last Blade 2 was TERRIBLE, something like 2 minutes between each fight. I'm not sure about LB1, never tried it.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Like he said, KOF94 is easiest.......

The reason being is that it only has to load each stage........KOF's after this one had to REDICULOUSLY load EACH CHARACTER in a stage, so you can have like over 4 loads = unplayable, really.

Samurai Showdown 2 & 3 work very well on the cd, the loading screens are entertaining and not overbearing.

Realistcically though, id stay away from the modern CD fighters.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Amano Jacu said:
There was a neogeoCD site with a load times chart, I think it was http://www.neogeocd.net/

Well, the only KoF with acceptable load times is 94, so I guess the fighting games up to it are quite OK. I can think of Fatal Fury Special and Art of Fighting 2 being bearable.

Metal Slug loads quite a lot, but I think it was acceptable. However Last Blade 2 was TERRIBLE, something like 2 minutes between each fight. I'm not sure about LB1, never tried it.
yeah.. the site used to be www.neogeocd.com
it has now been transferred to neogeocd.net

the load times page will be coming along maybe PARLTY by Christmas time (or until I can get some time to calculate load times.)

There is a lot planned for the site, so keep watching :) .... I just have to free up time to get everything around and ready.

†B†V†

HHurme

n00b
Maybe putting the old Load Times page online would be a good idea until the new one is ready? The information was very useful.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
If you are not used to the Neo Geo cart based, non-load time situation, the CD system wont bother you that much.

Load times are only bad when they are contrasted against a cart based system running the same game.

Dont let load times stop you from buying a masterpiece like Last Blade 2.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
HHurme said:
Maybe putting the old Load Times page online would be a good idea until the new one is ready? The information was very useful.

good idea... there were only a handful of games on the old page though.... and when I calculated some of the times..... they were not coming out the same... I know there can be differences...etc..etc.

But I will throw the older page up.... hopefully by sat :)

†B†V†

Baseley09

Hair Group,
Bluevoodu said:
good idea... there were only a handful of games on the old page though.... and when I calculated some of the times..... they were not coming out the same... I know there can be differences...etc..etc.

But I will throw the older page up.... hopefully by sat :)

†B†V†

Your right, i tested some of those times against my own and found some big differences (well, talking about seconds here;) ), but still, good idea.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Hey, I have posted some of these load times... ;)

Perhaps the differences are due to different ways of calculating the time. I used a stop watch for it and started it when the console clearly began to load, e.g. by displaying a progress bar or something like that. This may lead to the load times being somewhat shorter because there are always some additional one to three secs of "black screen" before the NGCD really starts loading the game.

Perhaps it's best to work out basic rules for measuring load times, else the ones ppl will submit will be different as well.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
Takumaji said:
Hey, I have posted some of these load times... ;)

Perhaps the differences are due to different ways of calculating the time. I used a stop watch for it and started it when the console clearly began to load, e.g. by displaying a progress bar or something like that. This may lead to the load times being somewhat shorter because there are always some additional one to three secs of "black screen" before the NGCD really starts loading the game.

Perhaps it's best to work out basic rules for measuring load times, else the ones ppl will submit will be different as well.

BTw.. I got your email :D

I will be responding to it soon. I will be using some of the files you sent me btw.... I have not forgotten about those. I just need time to sort them! :( time ..... is something that is sparse.

but... your help in the load times/tech docs is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
†B†V†

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
I don't think the load times on Samurai Shodown II were too bad. That is a must have if you get any Neo Geo system. I play the Cd version on my Neo Geo CDZ.

Bluevoodu

Kyokugen's Student
it is a very good game :)

†B†V† sam sho 3 loads weren't THAT bad either.