Neo Geo CD POWCD-X PSU repair or replace?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I have a defective POWCD-X PSU for a NGCD top loader. Tested the output side with a multimeter and there's no voltage. I opened it up and the heat shield was loose so I soldered it back together but it didn't fix the problem. Desoldered the heat shield and checked the PCB. The small 1uf cap looked bad so I replaced it. Still nothing. I also checked the input AC and output DC at the board to make sure there's no problem with the wires. Input AC is good, output DC reads zero for both 5v and 10v. The top of the large 68uf cap is rounded and has some give in it but that could be normal.

There's a cap kit available here: https://console5.com/store/powcd-x-cap-kit-snk-neo-geo-cd-cdz-power-supply-100v-240v.html

Not sure whether to bother with that or just buy one of those aftermarket PSUs.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I have a defective POWCD-X PSU for a NGCD top loader. Tested the output side with a multimeter and there's no voltage. I opened it up and the heat shield was loose so I soldered it back together but it didn't fix the problem. Desoldered the heat shield and checked the PCB. The small 1uf cap looked bad so I replaced it. Still nothing. I also checked the input AC and output DC at the board to make sure there's no problem with the wires. Input AC is good, output DC reads zero for both 5v and 10v. The top of the large 68uf cap is rounded and has some give in it but that could be normal.

There's a cap kit available here: https://console5.com/store/powcd-x-cap-kit-snk-neo-geo-cd-cdz-power-supply-100v-240v.html

Not sure whether to bother with that or just buy one of those aftermarket PSUs.
recap and keep it OG. Just check the voltages before trying it on the console (obv)

maki

Edo Express Delivery Guy
recap it and clean corrosion if there is some, just did that the other day to POWCD-J

Attachments

• PXL_20221130_185131364.jpg
    PXL_20221130_185131364.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20221203_110536595.jpg
    PXL_20221203_110536595.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4

madmanjock

Bare AES Handler
20 Year Member
recap it and clean corrosion if there is some, just did that the other day to POWCD-J
Why did you say this over a year later? To show off the contacts you cleaned? Okay.