Neo Geo controller port problem

Billkwando

OG OG,
20 Year Member
Hi guys!

My Neo has always been flaky about how you plug stuff into it (normally both carts and controllers have to be backed out slightly from the port after insertion for it to work properly) but lately it's been getting really bad, where I have to adjust it 2 or 3 times before the controller works (and now it seems to like it when I push the plug firmly into the port...bizarro...but even that doesn't always work). This is primarily the 2nd player port (which I have to use for my debug mod) if that matters.

Short of replacing the ports, is there anything I can do to improve connectivity? I saw a pic somewhere on here, of someone sticking an alcoholic q-tip into the ports, impaling it with the pins, but that just looks like a recipe for heartache to me. ;)

Do you folks recommend cleaning the pins with alcohol, and if so, should I consider just dabbing some into the holes on my extension cable plug and doing the old in & out with it? Probably a bad idea.

Last edited:

ne7

Armored Scrum Object
15 Year Member
its prob just dirty pins - isopropyl alcohol on a q-tip or other little easy to jam in absorbent material + give everything a good scrub :)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's dirty pins. You figure that your p2 port will see way less use than your p1 port so the pins just gather dirt, dust and develop a film from moisture in the air. Easiest way to clean it would be with contact cleaner on a Neo controller plug or extension cable and put the contact cleaner on the pins and then insert and remove the plug multiple times.

You can also try simple green and a toothbrush.