Neo Geo MVS arcade newbe questions

Ultra7350

n00b
I purchased a dedicated Neo Geo MVS 4-slot arcade. Since Im new to this arcade I had a few questions.

Is there any benefit of having the universal bios 3.2 with the 161 in 1 multi cart?

My arcade has a memory card slot. Is it used only to save high scores only? Where do you buy these memory cards?

Once a game is selected on the 4-slot board can you go back and switch to another game on a different slot? Or do you have to wait until the game is finished before you choose a different slot?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
My arcade has a memory card slot. Is it used only to save high scores only? Where do you buy these memory cards?

You can purchase them on ebay or here when they come up for sale, it's not just for high scores but game progress as well in most games.
They also work in the home AES system as well, so it was you carrying around your progress on Neo hardware in general.

Once a game is selected on the 4-slot board can you go back and switch to another game on a different slot? Or do you have to wait until the game is finished before you choose a different slot?

During gameplay you cannot switch games if that's what you're asking. After a game is over or in attract mode you can switch slots using the game select button.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
All this info and lots more can be found with little research, google is your friend.

s. k. technique

Kuroko's Training Dummy
15 Year Member
Sounds like you got a nice setup there with a memory card too. I think the uni bios is a must have, it will allow you to change your region, uncensor some games, unlock characters (although the 161 - 1 has loads of hacked roms), use AES mode. The other cool feature is when you bring up the menu, it pauses the game which is handy when you need a break. Your 4 slot is socketed too, so its a simple plug and play install.

ScarletSpeedstr

War Room Troll
I purchased a dedicated Neo Geo MVS 4-slot arcade. Since Im new to this arcade I had a few questions.

Is there any benefit of having the universal bios 3.2 with the 161 in 1 multi cart?

If you don't mind, how much did the 4-slot cost you? I've been trying to make a decision on an MVS setup, and I was quoted $1600 for a refurbished 4. Seems high to me.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
If you don't mind, how much did the 4-slot cost you? I've been trying to make a decision on an MVS setup, and I was quoted $1600 for a refurbished 4. Seems high to me.

LOL, that's way overpriced, if it's refurbished, does it look brand new? I wouldn't pay more than 500 for a really good 4 slot.

ScarletSpeedstr

War Room Troll
LOL, that's way overpriced, if it's refurbished, does it look brand new? I wouldn't pay more than 500 for a really good 4 slot.
It looks fair right now, and they said they'd do a complete overhaul on it, but even if it looked like it shipped from the factory I am still thinking $1600 is kind of ridiculous. It doesn't even have any of the rare carts in it, or hell, a Metal Slug for that matter.

My other option is a 2-slot for $800 delivered. I actually like the cabinet, its in great shape, but am thinking I'd prefer a 4-slot. I suppose I may just need to wait it out for a while.

MuppeT

War Room Troll
Just get a a cab in nice condition... doesn't matter the slots... they can be always changed.

Ultra7350

n00b

I paid $300. It came with one game. The cab was in really good shape but it had some issues. The 4 slot board had sound problems, had to rebuild the monitor chassis, replace the PS, replaced the EL panels and new marquee glass. Installed a new CPO and gave it a good cleaning. I put a few hundred into it but I did all the work. It looks really nice now plus it works great.
I only use 2 of the 4 slots. 161 in 1 multi cart and Windjammers in the other slot. I may use the other slots if I pick up a cart that is not on the 161 cart.

Last edited:

ScarletSpeedstr

War Room Troll
That seems like a fair price. I will admit though, reading what the machine still needed reminded me of Aykroyd's response to what Ecto-1 still needed. The 161 in 1 cart is appealing, but there is the OCD thing that won't allow me to use it. I've been collecting the originals w/ a marquee and am trying to stick to that. That said, sure would be nice to have something to actually play them on.

Switching out the board on a 2 slot for a 4 sounds like a good idea. I'm assuming it wouldn't be too terribly difficult to switch out the marquee and get that setup to match. Decisions.

Zapperkhan

Kula's Candy
I bought a 2 slot with shopped monitor for 345 like a year and a 1/2 ago. Condition overall was great. A couple of scratches on one side.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
I wouldn't sell you my 4 slot for 500 but that's my personal fully restored 4 slot. I guess it depends, if you're buying from an OP then chances are the cab needs work as they don't really care much for the condition of the cabs.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
I wouldn't sell you my 4 slot for 500 but that's my personal fully restored 4 slot. I guess it depends, if you're buying from an OP then chances are the cab needs work as they don't really care much for the condition of the cabs.

Agreed on both counts.