Neo PCB Adapter Idea

DavidG

I don't have one of these yet, but may get one down the road. I have no real need for one right now.

I've been checking in the odd time on the mods and hacks for this device and seen the need for a simple SD adapter. The ideal solution is to have a SD card company make a special adapter. Since that may not be possible without a large payment the next best method is to wire up something by hand. The issue here is that not everyone can do such a mod.

There are two PCB solutions that can be done cheap.

The first is a two piece pcb that once combined would match the size and specs of a original SD card with a micro SD slot. This idea would require one very thin 2 layer pcb to be made which will have the gold contacts and the micro SD card slot. Then a second blank board or plastic would be cut and combined to the pcb with a cut out for the card slot. Not all pcb shops can deal with multi layer boards and routing more than once. Most will make your boards and route one time at the end. This method would require the shop to handle this like a 4 layer project. The top 2 layer pcb is blank but would have the SD slot cut out before it's combined with the bottom board. Once joined both are routed to the size of a normal SD card. Again not all pcb shops can do this.

The second solution is one pcb that is the exact thickness of a standard SD card, 2 layer and would be about 12mm longer than a normal card. The extra room would allow for the micro SD card slot to sit just outside the systems case.

The first solution would be idea but requires the final pcb to be a 4 layer board on paper when it really isn't. This would increase the cost but would be the best method.

The second solution is cheap and easy but would stick out of the system just a little.

You're looking at around $5 US for the first idea and $3 US for the second. These prices are the cost for the boards and the SD connector. You still must factor in that whoever makes these will have around 2000 of them in hand with the first run and must also solder down the connector + test. Final sale price would be around $10 or whatever they wanted to charge.

I will design both solutions and offer the designs here for free within a month or so. I will also provide the part number from Digikey for the SD slot used in the design. Simply take the gerber files to any shop and enjoy.

:-J

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Designing something that allows you to play bootleg romz on a bootleg system.

Seems appropriate that you want to get involved...

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
At least David doesn't make any qualms about this being a real system or anything of the sort. And when it comes to making up the bootlegs at least David knows his shit unlike 99% of the dumb-asses that have appeared over the last 4 months. I still find this pretty funny though.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
7BL2upR.gif

DavidG

Don't like it, don't make it, don't buy it - simple isn't it? :lolz:

Here is a sample of what it will look like *if* someone should make it.

I will get around to confirming the connections when I get the SD connector in.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Just clicked a link in chat. For a minute I thought this was about making some kind of aes / mvs flashcart solution. Then I saw this was in the x section. Meh.

If someone makes it, power to them I guess. Not my cup of tea though.

How much for the 8 slot?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

That's exactly what I was going to make but saw interest dropping off so I scrapped it.

TMOSteel

20 Year Member

I know this has already been posted but I'm not sure if its actually going to see production:

20130314.jpg

http://neogeo-x.blogspot.com/2013/03/x-card-reception-des-betas.html

I'd like to see something made eventually, if anything to have the flexibility to play with the Universe BIOS, which I am sure will never be supported "officially".

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member