Neon Genesis Evangelion Platinum Collection (thin) less than $50 new!?

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
Before I start, I'd like to say hi to all the neo-geo.com peeps, esp the ones livin in Vegas. It's been awhile since I last posted (april of '04) - had sold my AES and kinda got busy. Good to be back though.

Anyways, comin back to Neon Genesis. Believe it or not, I haven't seen one single episode of this supposed revolutionary series. I've been meaning to, bad, ever since they came out on VHS; I know it's been ages. But it was an expensive series to get, and before long, there were different versions of them coming out (DVD lol, platinum, etc). So I just decided to wait and let the anticipation of finally seeing this series linger and marinate.

Good thing I did too cause a complete collection just came out for it (actually Nov. 22), and it's under $50!!!! Came across it while at amazon.com. So now I'll definetely pick it up and I'll finally get to experience the series. Hopefully I'll like it.

The set is 6 discs, and are in thin cases. I thought it was chinese bootleg at first, but it says ADV, plus it's being sold at amazon.

I apologize if someone posted it already

H

hermegildo

BakuretsuMutekiSid said:
The set is 6 discs, and are in thin cases. I thought it was chinese bootleg at first, but it says ADV, plus it's being sold at amazon.

I apologize if someone posted it already
If it's through Amazon's marketplace it could still be a bootleg.

If it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't.

Neco_Coneco

Enemy Chaser
hermegildo said:

ITS REAL

Its adv's thinpack collection. They release a thinpack of pretty much all their series now and they are always very cheap. They usually come out a couple months after the singles are released

slerch666

updyke,
hermegildo said:

MSRP is $89.99.

You can find it cheap as shit in several online shops. It's a legit release.

It's the Platinum video (remastered w/ cel crawl removed), minus the Platinum collection's extras. ADV has been doing this with a lot of their releases, for better or worse. You can find several complete collections (w/o extras) pretty damn cheap, like Chrono Crusade for ~$50 when the series just ended in August (or around then anyway).

H

hermegildo

slerch666 said:
MSRP is $89.99.

You can find it cheap as shit in several online shops. It's a legit release.

It's the Platinum video (remastered w/ cel crawl removed), minus the Platinum collection's extras. ADV has been doing this with a lot of their releases, for better or worse. You can find several complete collections (w/o extras) pretty damn cheap, like Chrono Crusade for ~$50 when the series just ended in August (or around then anyway).
True.

I remember these kind of releases.

ADV did the same thing with Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and some other stuff I can't remember.

I might buy it to make some room in my shelf. I currently have the old, 8-disc boxset and it's just too big.

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
slerch666 said:
It's the Platinum video (remastered w/ cel crawl removed), minus the Platinum collection's extras.

Do you recommend getting this box set w/out those extras? I normally like extras. What are they btw?

slerch666

updyke,
hermegildo said:
ADV did the same thing with Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 and some other stuff I can't remember.
Actually, it's slightly different than the BGC 2040. Evangelion was remastered by the Japanese companies that released it and ADV licensed that, while BGC 2040 (and Nadesico and some others) were remastered by ADV directly.

These thin pack boxes are just the series, w/o extras while the Essential Anime collections retained the extras and had better video/audio (5.1 for the English tracks).

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Evangelion sucks, but speaking of anime whats with that Cowboy Bebop Remix shit I saw in the store last week.

slerch666

updyke,
BakuretsuMutekiSid said:
Do you recommend getting this box set w/out those extras? I normally like extras. What are they btw?

If all a person wants to see is the show, then yeah, go for it. The problem is the price difference between getting it WITH extras is about $210 MSRP ($30 a disc, 7 discs). The MSRP on the thin box is $90. Are the extras worth $120 for you? With online discounts you can get the extras version for ~$126, while the extraless version is ~$55. Are the extras worth $70?

The extras are:

Disc 1:
clean opening and closing animation
Episode: 01 commentary by director Matt Greenfield
Episode: 02 commentary by Matt Greenfield and Spike Spencer ("Shinji"); and previews (English commentaries... meh)

Disc 2:
Clean opening and closing animation
Commentary with Tiffany Grant and Allison Shipp
Full length animatics for episode 9

Disc 3:
Audio Commentary with Matt Greenfield and Tiffany Grant
Audio Commentary by Matt Greenfield and Wade Shemwell

Disc 4:
Commentary with Tiffany Grant and Matt Greenfield
Full length animatics for episode 15
12-page profile booklet filled with screen shots
That Little Red-head Gir

Disc 5:
Commentary with Matt Greenfield and Sean McCoy
full length animatics for episode 18 - 20
The Mythology of Evangelionl

Disc 6:
One-of-a-kind numbered decal
Profile booklet filled with screen shots
Japanese commentaries and character profiles

Disc 7:
The Mythology of Evangelion Part II
Animatics for Episode 24 and 25
Commentary with Matt Greenfield (ADR Director) & Sean McCoy

If you are a fan of English commentaries by voice actors and the ADR directors, then yeah, it's worth it. If you're looking for the extras that were on the EVA rerelease in Japan, then look elsewhere. That's what severely disappointed me w/ the Platinum ed's extras. There were so many extras on the R2 Renewal DVDs that ADV just didn't even bother to obtain (or possibly they couldn't obtain). English commentaries, from people who weren't directly involved with MAKING the show, do nothing for me (yes, same goes for Japanese voice actor commentaries).

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
DashK said:
that series still isn't worth 50 bucks, it has NO rewatchability.

This is one of the few times were I agree with DashK. I would add something to these comments, but I don't want to flame in this thread... yet ;)

slerch666

updyke,
Nesagwa said:
Evangelion sucks, but speaking of anime whats with that Cowboy Bebop Remix shit I saw in the store last week.
It's basically the same video that was on the original release, with remastered/authored audio done in Dolby Digital 5.1. Bandai claims it has "scenes added" but there are in fact, none added. The Japanese R2 release had no scenes added, so there are no scenes to add.

It also has commentaries by the Japanese voice casts as extras, which the originals did not. I'm guessing they probably corrected the encoding issues they had with it originally.

Is it worth spending the money on again? Depends on how much you want 5.1 audio I suppose, as the price isn't different from the original release at all.

slerch666

updyke,
Verythrax said:
This is one of the few times were I agree with DashK. I would add something to these comments, but I don't want to flame in this thread... yet ;)
If I tell you the ending was the greatest ending of anything ever, would you flame then? (no, I'm not being serious(

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
slerch666 said:
It's basically the same video that was on the original release, with remastered/authored audio done in Dolby Digital 5.1. Bandai claims it has "scenes added" but there are in fact, none added. The Japanese R2 release had no scenes added, so there are no scenes to add.

It also has commentaries by the Japanese voice casts as extras, which the originals did not. I'm guessing they probably corrected the encoding issues they had with it originally.

Is it worth spending the money on again? Depends on how much you want 5.1 audio I suppose, as the price isn't different from the original release at all.

Meh fuck that. Ill stick with the 3 disk bootleg I bought. Artifacting and all.

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
slerch666 said:
If I tell you the ending was the greatest ending of anything ever, would you flame then? (no, I'm not being serious(

If THAT thing (that bizarre thing at the end, if you know what I mean) was really real, that would rock as an ending - and I'm not that serious, cause it wouldn't save the series from suck really bad.

slerch666

updyke,
Nesagwa said:
Meh fuck that. Ill stick with the 3 disk bootleg I bought. Artifacting and all.
Had scenes actually been added, and the video truely remastered like the R2s were (I believe), and the price wasn't exactly the same as the previous release (that is, it should be CHEAPER) then I may have bought it. As it stands I'm sticking with the Perfect Collection LE box I have of it.

Bandai found their Evangelion (you know, that series they can just milk and milk and milk for money).

slerch666

updyke,
Verythrax said:
If THAT thing (that bizarre thing at the end, if you know what I mean) was really real, that would rock as an ending - and I'm not that serious, cause it wouldn't save the series from suck really bad.
You mean the ending to the movie? Yeah, that was kindy freakish.

I meant the TV ending was the greatest ending of anything ever. ;) That always seems to rile people up. Talk about Evangelion nearly always reverts to "that ending sucked! Fuck Anno!"

Verythrax

OWES ROT MONEY!
slerch666 said:
You mean the ending to the movie? Yeah, that was kindy freakish.

I meant the TV ending was the greatest ending of anything ever. ;) That always seems to rile people up. Talk about Evangelion nearly always reverts to "that ending sucked! Fuck Anno!"

No I'm talking about the TV ending, the school stuff.

MAYBE SPOILER

If Shinji really discovered that the whole series was just a bad dream, that would justify why the series is THAT bad.

PS: maybe I'm just a sucker for happy japanese school life :emb:

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
slerch666 said:
Had scenes actually been added, and the video truely remastered like the R2s were (I believe), and the price wasn't exactly the same as the previous release (that is, it should be CHEAPER) then I may have bought it. As it stands I'm sticking with the Perfect Collection LE box I have of it.

Bandai found their Evangelion (you know, that series they can just milk and milk and milk for money).

Maybe theyll release the Movie again in a case that doesnt suck.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
DashK said:
halo 2 ending > eva ending
Ironicly, I agree with youi.

BakuretsuMutekiSid said:
Before I start, I'd like to say hi to all the neo-geo.com peeps, esp the ones livin in Vegas. It's been awhile since I last posted (april of '04) - had sold my AES and kinda got busy. Good to be back though.
Go post in the Vegas meetup thread

H

hermegildo

Hey slerch, would you buy this $50 boxset even if you had the old 8-disc boxset? Is there a big difference in video quality between both?

Is the added price for the extras in the regular Platinum set worth it?

slerch666

updyke,
hermegildo said:
Hey slerch, would you buy this $50 boxset even if you had the old 8-disc boxset? Is there a big difference in video quality between both?

Is the added price for the extras in the regular Platinum set worth it?
I bought the first DVD when they did the Platinum edition as singles. I never really did more than spot check it, as I've seen the show too many times to be bothered to watch it again.

Would I personally buy the the set for $50? No. That's mostly because I don't want to watch the show again anytime soon. If I could find it cheaper, maybe used, say $30 I probably would buy it.

The visual quality difference is pretty striking. The colors are corrected. There's no dust/dirt/crap on the transfer. You know that annoying cel jiggle/crawl on the original releases (that ADV really fucked up when they tried fixing it on the first DVD they released of it)? It's gone (a definite bonus).

The 5.1 tracks (both JPN and ENG) are nice as well.

Are the extras on the singles worth the extra $75? Are you a dub fan (I listed the extras in a post above)? If yes, then probably. If you're a Japanese language track fan, then no. The only real Japanese extras are those animatics for certain eps. That is severely disappointing. Here's the extras on the Eva Renewal box on R2 JPN:

Scripts for every eps
making of
q&a w/ Japanese cast
TV spots (commercials, which we don't really need)
Live action piece involving 3 of the female voice actresses

Not the greatest, but they would have been nice to have.

I also own the 8 disc set (along with the "jiggle" corrected DVD 1, and Genesis Reborn (which has remastered video) and Resurrection). One time is more than enough for me to own it. EVA is ADV's cash cow. In a few years time, I really expect them to release the show again, this time with all the current English extras and all the R2 extras, just so they can make more money with it since some crazy fans will buy every version released.

Last edited: