NEOSD MVS Support thread !

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yes, I already made sure the spacer was inserted correctly. You can't even insert the cart into the slot if it's backwards. I have inserted the cart in one movement firmly all the way to the bottom of the slot. It makes no difference. All 10 of my original MVS games run on first boot no matter how I insert the cart. Could it not be the cart itself? I don't know what else I can try other than roughing up the cart contacts with steel wool. :(

poodude

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Here is a pic of two original carts with the NeoSD in the middle. The original carts fit much more snugly inside the motherboard, and you can see the original pcbs appear to be a hair thicker. I swapped the multicart divider with an original mvs divider to see if it made any difference, and it did not.

Will the shells have full support around the entire pcb so that its always snug and perpendicular inside the shell? Original MVS carts have supports but would need to be trimmed to fit the NeoSD. My 120 in 1 shell has no support at the top which can give it a little room to move inside the shell.

IMG_20161229_000456.jpg

neosd

Neosd Developer
Hello,

Please, send us your serial number to our contact email : contact@neosdstore....

We will send you a firmware update.

Thanks

Here is a pic of two original carts with the NeoSD in the middle. The original carts fit much more snugly inside the motherboard, and you can see the original pcbs appear to be a hair thicker. I swapped the multicart divider with an original mvs divider to see if it made any difference, and it did not.

Will the shells have full support around the entire pcb so that its always snug and perpendicular inside the shell? Original MVS carts have supports but would need to be trimmed to fit the NeoSD. My 120 in 1 shell has no support at the top which can give it a little room to move inside the shell.

View attachment 41654

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Just a quick update here to show that 4 slots are working with the Neo SD. I thought I would share this in advance of my update video (which will come later, perhaps when the shells arrive).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEhGPNnoBSQ

Hats off to the Neo SD team - my last firmware update landed on christmas day!! No kidding, the 25th - it was the best XMAS present for me lol.

Running perfectly on the MV-1FZ boards I have and the 4 slot too.

Last edited:

dragonpt

Over Top Auto Mechanic
10 Year Member
Just a quick update here to show that 4 slots are working with the Neo SD. I thought I would share this in advance of my update video (which will come later, perhaps when the shells arrive).

Hats off to the Neo SD team - my last firmware update landed on christmas day!! No kidding, the 25th - it was the best XMAS present for me lol.

Now that's cool

Glad it now works OK on 4slot ^^

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member

Your game selecting is working as it should given you do not have a battery. You'll have to go into test mode and change the cabinat game select softdip to free every time you power on if you want to swap games like you do in console mode (during attract mode). Or simply insert a coin first , then game selecting will be allowed in Arcade mode without the need to enter console mode.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of multislot owners who totally forget about this setting. I get asked about it so many times, maybe Ill change the default setting to 'Free' rather than 'Only when creditied' in the next unibios release.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
Your game selecting is working as it should given you do not have a battery. You'll have to go into test mode and change the cabinat game select softdip to free every time you power on if you want to swap games like you do in console mode (during attract mode). Or simply insert a coin first , then game selecting will be allowed in Arcade mode without the need to enter console mode.

I'm actually surprised by the amount of multislot owners who totally forget about this setting. I get asked about it so many times, maybe Ill change the default setting to 'Free' rather than 'Only when creditied' in the next unibios release.

Thanks, that's great news =D I had no idea about that, but tbh I've only had a 4 slot a few months and it hadn't been used much at all until the Neo SD arrived.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
i get this address error on capcom vs snk :

address:00007924
ac adrs :c4080003
r/w :write

and the registers info i think.
could it be unibios problem?
i reseated cartrigd many times to try solve bad allignment.
cleaned with isopropanol,reseated unibios.
my region is japan and mode is arcade.
in the menu setting i set reset to menu.
arcade mode to no.
mcu version:1.04 R02
68k version :1.02
prog version:f874
cha version :548c
you have snk vs capcom(bootleg- pcb-pcb alt).
i took capcom vs snk without anything behind it.
i let the game start and let do the intro ect...
then i get the error,sometimes corrupt graphics.
tested crc and all fine,its the first game that does this.
all other games working fine.
game is from good source.
flashed a few times,thought maybe some corruption in the flas process.

Last edited:

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
That is not a unibios crash for sure but its hard to make sence of what your saying. Is it the main svc set crashing or one of the other versions? All the info from the crash screen is needed (data and address registers). I would guess a banking related crash atm.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
i tryed the main and pcb version if thats what you mean raz
just reseated the unibios,cleaned contact points.
electronics are strange,days weeks without problems,now its the first time.
all other games works flawless.
could be alignment of the neosd?
im gona be happy if that shell arrive here.
gona get a picture if it happens again.
if i startup the neo geo,i get also on the unibios screen artifacts,could it be a bad contact problem?
2na6xp1.jpg

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
It might just be that you need the latest firmware update. I had similar problems on various test firmwares but no exceptions at all on the last few revisions.

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
just flashed alpha mission 2,and let the game run,thats what i also did with capcom vs snk.
i remember that i played capcom vs snk once on neosd,but cant remember if that fault was there or not.
that could be,but contacted neosd via pm,but its late now gadget.
so must wait till he respond.
no problem in alpha mission 2,game is still running and no error.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
just flashed alpha mission 2,and let the game run,thats what i also did with capcom vs snk.
i remember that i played capcom vs snk once on neosd,but cant remember if that fault was there or not.

Hello,

Send us an email with your serial number, we will send you an update.

Thanks

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
i have problem to get in my account also,pfff,what a evening.

I feel... that you should just stay in chat... you have a tendancy to hurt yourself on the main forums..

Just sayin'..

xROTx

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
neosd,sended you pm with serial nmbr.
@rot,sometimes electronics can do weird stuff,after the problem with capcom vs snk,i flashed alpha mission 2 and no problems,also the crc on capcom vs snk passed.
so only capcom vs snk i have problems with.

Last edited:

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
@rot,sometimes electronics can do weird stuff,after the problem with capcom vs snk,i flashed alpha mission 2 and no problems,also the crc on capcom vs snk passed.

What's weird... is you actually replied in a serious manner.... to me trolling you...

xROTx

PS.... YUP... chat is safest option for you:D

samaron

n00b
Continuing the discussion in this thread regarding this post.

Is there any chance you have the boards oriented wrong?

Edit: and no, you don't require a memory card for the NeoSD to funtion properly.
Yes, the front pcb with the neosd logo on it, should be looking to the tv.
Maybe he is plugging it on the opossite way

I'm fairly sure it is oriented the correct way. The triangle is facing the same side as the one on the shell. As instructed with the converter, I insert it so it is facing down. The SD slot is then pointing to the left.

Yes, had a look at it earlier. In theory it should work, according to that information. Guess I jinxed it somehow!

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Okay, my next question is: Do you, or does someone you know, have access to an MVS setup of some sort? Just to be able to rule out the NeoSD.

Try also: Remove the NeoSD from the cheap knockoff shell and reseat them together, then try inserting them without the shell, making sure they are inserted in the correct orientation.

Last edited:

samaron

n00b
I unfortunately do not have access to an MVS, nor do I know anyone that does. I would've tested it in a MVS already if I had one available.

I have tried the NeoSD without the shell, but the same result occurred. I have also seperated the boards and reseated them a couple of times.

The triangle on the PCB does have the same orientation as a regular cartridge, right? So on the Daedalus that part should face down. I placed the PCBs inside the shell so that the triangle is on the same side as the one outside on the shell.

Little off topic:
I don't think the shell is a knock off. Under the Puzzle Bobble label was an Art of Fighting label. The boards just had replaced chips with EPROMs. Guess the cart were repurposed at some point (and again now by me).

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Fair enough. We're now past the point where I can give useful suggestions. Hopefully one of our more technically minded forum members can help you trouble shoot. I'm pretty sure we have other members on here from Norway, maybe if you're lucky one of them lives near with an MVS setup.

PS - Yes the arrows function the same on the NeoSD as they do on a regular MVS cart.

samaron

n00b
Allright, good to know about the arrow triangle mark. Just had to make sure I weren't crazy, lol.

I'll poke around at a local forum and ask for someone who has a MVS. Hopefully someone has one. If not, I probably have to send it abroad to another trustworthy member for testing.

But just to be sure... The screen shouldn't look like a psychedelic trip even if the converter were incompatible?

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
hi neosd,firmware update went well.
im now flashing capcom vs snk and gona test.
but im happy its not my system or the neosd thats broken.
im verry cautious with all my systems.
the game is now running for 10min,and no problem anymore.
so big thx to you neosd for the firmware.
so i can say problem solved.

Last edited:

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
hi neosd,firmware update went well.
im now flashing capcom vs snk and gona test.
but im happy its not my system or the neosd thats broken.
im verry cautious with all my systems.
the game is now running for 10min,and no problem anymore.
so big thx to you neosd for the firmware.
so i can say problem solved.
That's great news =D

fille1976

Crossed Swords Squire
game is still running,for more then 1hour,still no problem,so me verry happy.
metal slug x passed crc check fine,im impressed by you guys.

Last edited: