New longer Batman Begins trailer

Nesagwa

Beard of Zeus,
20 Year Member
Good ole Morgan Freeman always helpin out the white folks.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
For some reason, I've been extremely hyped for this movie...until this new trailer.

Now it looks like yet another typical Hollywood movie. Even just in the trailer, there seem to be a lot of humorous quips, and Wayne has some artificially added Hollywood-type love interest from his past. Does that character replace the older (and thus, less Hollywood), non-love interest Leslie character?

I'm still hoping for this to be great, but I guess I'm slightly less optimistic than I was after the other trailers.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
Southtownkid, said love interest, given her name, IS from a rather grim and violent storyline from the comics (from when Todd McFarlane was involved actually) so it may just be a seed for potential sequel villains like Dr. Connors popping up in both Spider-Mans and so on.

I'm REALLY looking forward to the movie. Funny quips I don't mind because that's what Batman's all about when he's dressed like Bruce Wayne, though there are more than I had hoped for. Hopefully those are all from early in the movie or something.

Christopher Nolan directed Insomnia (one of the rare cases in which the remake is just as good as the original IMO) and Memento, so I think he's a good choice. Plus he made a really big deal about how there's no CG and all the action is stuntmen, actual vehicles getting smashed, sets blowing up instead of CG fireballs, etc. Between that and the cast basically making this the most well cast comic book movie ever (besides American Splendor I guess?) I can't wait.

I'm very impressed by how much of the story is still somewhat influenced by Batman: Year One. I mean Carmine Falcone and such are still in the movie (just got billed, guess they only had so much space on that marquee site).

Oh, and RUTGER HAUER is in the movie, he plays a character that's basically Roland Dagget from the animated series. AWESOME.

The look of the movie at any point where he's Batman is awesome. I think it's also cool how they were saying that the Batmobile they built looks as it does because it's a working vehicle that's actually driving fast and making various jumps. Makes me all nostalgic for stuff like Ridley Scott's earlier movies and the older movies in general where everything's tangible and looks like the real deal.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Neo Rasa said:
Southtownkid, said love interest, given her name, IS from a rather grim and violent storyline from the comics (from when Todd McFarlane was involved actually)
Was she from Batman: Year Two? I haven't read that since it came out in the late '80s. What a letdown that was compared to Miller's Year One... Oh well, at least if she's an actual character, that's a little better than I thought.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Was she from Batman: Year Two? I haven't read that since it came out in the late '80s. What a letdown that was compared to Miller's Year One... Oh well, at least if she's an actual character, that's a little better than I thought.

Wow, I hadn't a clue Year Two was released in the 80s. I do remember the Dark Knights Strikes Again being released in the 90s, but then again that one sucked ass.

Year One was great, I liked Gordon's part of the story even more than Batman's.

I haven't cared for this movie at all, to be honest. So much comic book Hollywood whoring going on nowadays.

Neo Rasa

Whip's Subordinate
You got it Southtownkid.

Year Two is bullshit LIE, it's just a compilation of issues that deal with that Reaper storyline (she's that character's daughter if they're taking this in the direction we think). It was never meant to really be a continuation of Year One until after it was compiled in that respect. I mean yeah golden age Batman had a gun and would kill people all the time, but his taking a firearm in "Year Two" as well as most of the plot is very forced even by superhero comic standards.

What you need to read is:

Year One
The Long Halloween
Dark Victory
Catwoman: When in Rome

Year One we all know and love. Long Halloween takes place two years later over the course of a year. Serial killer killing people on holidays (and it's set up so that until the end any of the principle characters could be the killer in addition to other minor characters), Harvey Dent still trying to bring down the families with help from Batman. Tons of homages to the original Godfather, it's wonderous. Dark Victory is the weakest of these, but it finishes up stuff with Harvey Dent, introduces Robin (Zucco is brought in earlier), etc.

Selina Kyle disappears for a while during the latter graphic novels, you learn why from reading them and where she went. That Catwoman storyline is actually very recent, from the people who did Long Halloween and Dark Victory, and details her side story.

All together great stuff.

Interestingly, Riddler is loose in these because the main characters use him as an informant/sounding board for ideas on the situation instead of catching or killing him. It's handled very nicely.

People might think this movie seems like whoring out but man I've got the Doctor Strange movie on tape, and those Incredible Hulk ones that have Thor and Daredevil in it. You guys don't realize how good we have it now. ;)

TemJin3000

Axel's Trainer
two things:

1. i cant remember who Dagget was...although i really love that animated series (btw, that new "the batman" cartoon, sucks sooooo much balls...) it pains me that i cant remember a character like that, so please refresh my memory. much appreciated! i like Rutger Hauer alot, even when he does crappy films.

2. can someone please tell me who Gary Oldman is playing in this film? thats the biggest question on my mind, im a big fan of his as well...he's one of the reasons i really became a film geek.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Neo Rasa said:
Dark Victory is the weakest of these, but it finishes up stuff with Harvey Dent, introduces Robin (Zucco is brought in earlier), etc.
Yeah, believe it or not, I actually lettered Dark Victory (except for the prologue chapter) but am uncredited because of a policy of DC's to only give credit to whoever the paycheck is made out to; in that case either Starkings or Comicraft. So I agree it's maybe not quite as good as Long Halloween, but I still think it's damn strong. It's a little bit of a sore spot with me, beacause of all the stuff I've lettered over the last decade, it was the thing I was most proud of. At least I'm credited in Daredevil Yellow by the same team, but it's not the same thing...

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Have any of you ever read Arkham Asylum? I'd like to pick that one up.

jaydubnb

Windjammers Wonder
TemJin3000 said:
two things:

1. i cant remember who Dagget was...although i really love that animated series (btw, that new "the batman" cartoon, sucks sooooo much balls...) it pains me that i cant remember a character like that, so please refresh my memory. much appreciated! i like Rutger Hauer alot, even when he does crappy films.

2. can someone please tell me who Gary Oldman is playing in this film? thats the biggest question on my mind, im a big fan of his as well...he's one of the reasons i really became a film geek.

I think Goldman is Gordon. And wasnt Dagget Clayface?

dullbuoy

Leon Ther,
LoneSage said:
Have any of you ever read Arkham Asylum? I'd like to pick that one up.

one of my favorite Batman books. mainly cuz of Dave Mckean's art. There were maybe like 3 panels in the whole entire book where you can actually "see" Batman, for the most part he's been blended into the shadows.