New neo hardware, its time for a new begining

RVF400

Host for Orochi
you and i both know that the old faithfull 68000 setup is like 10 years out of date, surely now we have a new owner for snk they must be planning a new system for there games?.

i know your gonna say 'it costs to much to produce' but think for a second, it must cost a freaking fortune to produce these carts!, they make fuck all selling them on aes format and we all know they make the most profit out of console ports, more importantly CD/DVD console ports.

what if they decided to make a new console, not based on 3d but good old 2d, using a processor capable of throwing around a shite load of massive sprites around in hi-res. it would not need anything fancy to do this so the chips themselves would be cheap. It could use a DVD drive to store the infomation this way it would keep costs down.

More importantly this system would be the same as the AES/MVS in other words exactly the same hardware (so there would be a home version), but with the DVDS not being compatible with one another.

The tech specs could be simple something pc based like this:

AMD athlon 1800+ (1.5ghz)
ati radeon 9600
512mb ddr400
dvd 24X

or something else completly different, this would be more than enough for 2d don't you think?

has anyone else thought of this?, why haven't playmore considered this?. If playmore decided to do this we could have a KOF or LAST BLADE looking like GUILTY GEAR X!.

your thoughts?

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
They'd most likely develop for some other existing arcade hardware and continue making more money with ports to popular consoles.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
They don't need new hardware. They can just make software using existing arcade/home hardware.

But...

If they did make new hardware, personally I'd rather see something backwards compatible with MVS.

Maybe upgraded with a 33Mhz 68020, lots more RAM and a secondary graphics chip capable of double resolution (640x224, or maybe even 640x448), true transparencies etc. Would be cool if the chip could work in tandem with the existing Neo graphics chip. So maybe the old chip could be used to display backgrounds and the new chip could handle characters and foreground, just as an example. I think the Sega 32X was able to do something similar.

Anyway, that would be cool since all the arcade ops could still use their MVS carts and just do a relatively cheap upgrade to the new MVS mobo. And Neo home users would also have both.

I think that such a system could be a real niche success, given all the respect Neo gets. But will it happen? Probably not.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
but that sucks I and i am pretty sure everyone else want a neo-geo2, why don't we get a petition going, the neo-geo forums are like the center off the neo world, if we all signed up for a neo-geo2, fuck even contributed to it with our vast knowledge (i know there are some very clever people on these forums) then there is a good hope that playmore might go 'hey, i think we got something here' and decide to carry on the neo-geo with a worthy succesor.

RVF400

Host for Orochi
Diggerman said:
They don't need new hardware. They can just make software using existing arcade/home hardware.

But...

If they did make new hardware, personally I'd rather see something backwards compatible with MVS.

Maybe upgraded with a 33Mhz 68020, lots more RAM and a secondary graphics chip capable of double resolution (640x224, or maybe even 640x448), true transparencies etc. Would be cool if the chip could work in tandem with the existing Neo graphics chip. So maybe the old chip could be used to display backgrounds and the new chip could handle characters and foreground, just as an example. I think the Sega 32X was able to do something similar.

Anyway, that would be cool since all the arcade ops could still use their MVS carts and just do a relatively cheap upgrade to the new MVS mobo. And Neo home users would also have both.

I think that such a system could be a real niche success, given all the respect Neo gets. But will it happen? Probably not.

like the super FX for snes?, thats a great idea, it could even work with the aes!

MeanBeanMachine

Crazed MVS Addict
Eh, I came to the conclusion long ago that a lot of shouting here is backed by little. And even if really everyone here would buy one, that still woudn't be a viable business model. The big companies have the marketing power. They should just move on to some available hardware. After all they did try to bring out something new with the Neo64 and we all know how that went.

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
MeanBeanMachine said:
Eh, I came to the conclusion long ago that a lot of shouting here is backed by little. And even if really everyone here would buy one, that still woudn't be a viable business model. The big companies have the marketing power. They should just move on to some available hardware. After all they did try to bring out something new with the Neo64 and we all know how that went.

That went bad because they STUPIDLY went for 3D, when their fan base are 2D hardcore, and their expertise was always in 2D.

The Neo64 was probably forced on the engineers and devs at SNk by some dopey suits who saw Playstation selling well and decided it was time to kill off 2D. STUPID.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
good 3d = amazing 2d

theres no point having 2d specific hardware

RVF400

Host for Orochi
ok how about using there left over neo64 hardware then?, i bet that does good 2d

Diggerman

Zero's Tailor
kernow said:
good 3d = amazing 2d

theres no point having 2d specific hardware

And the entire point of my idea is to be backwards compatible with MVS.

Otherwise there is zero reason for SNK/P to make new hardware.

And good 3D does NOT equal amazing 2D. That's a misconception. Sega Saturn was better at 2D overall than PSX. 2D benefits mostly from tons of memory (to store all those animation frames) and fast blitting hardware with hardware sprite, scrolls and various deformation functions built-in.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
No reason to get new hardware. I am happy with my
Neo. You in the other hand, can get a PS3 or something.:glee:

RVF400

Host for Orochi
i bet a 2d specific hardware would piss over a 3d hardware doing 2d though......

i like the idea of haveing hardware built into the cart itself that would work

Reznor007

Host for Orochi
RVF400 said:
i bet a 2d specific hardware would piss over a 3d hardware doing 2d though......

i like the idea of haveing hardware built into the cart itself that would work

No. By using a 3d video chip you can pull off all sorts of 2d effects without even trying. Mario World 2 Yoshis Island used the SuperFX chip to handle all of the warping/morph effects in the game, and by using a 3d graphics chip, you can do that much in the same way.

Guilty Gear was also on 3d hardware(of course) being Dreamcast based stuff.

D

Devils Child

Now you're talking. A next-gen Neo would be sweet. Use a 3D video chip though, because it keeps SNK/Playmore free to diversify the product lineup. A 3D graphics accelerator can handle any 2D effects out there. Anyone seen Viewtiful Joe on the Cube? Gorgeous 2D platformer, kickass special effects, all being rendered by an Art-X/ATI 3D graphics chip. Processor wouldn't even have to be 1.8 gigahertz or whatever. Slap a 500 megahertz G4 in there, built by Motorola, I am sure Motorola still has tons of G4 chips and I mean hey, the Cube uses a G4 type chip and its nice. SNK/Playmore could really benefit if they tried to upgrade their hardware. I heard they were going to branch out and begin developing for more advanced machines than just the Neo... I don't know if that means new system, but it could mean new arcade hardware.

snkfever

Cheng's Errand Boy
if they put chips inside their cartridges that would also lessen the piracy problems.

SHO

Raiden's Valet
RVF400 said:
you and i both know that the old faithfull 68000 setup is like 10 years out of date, surely now we have a new owner for snk they must be planning a new system for there games?.

i know your gonna say 'it costs to much to produce' but think for a second, it must cost a freaking fortune to produce these carts!, they make fuck all selling them on aes format and we all know they make the most profit out of console ports, more importantly CD/DVD console ports.

what if they decided to make a new console, not based on 3d but good old 2d, using a processor capable of throwing around a shite load of massive sprites around in hi-res. it would not need anything fancy to do this so the chips themselves would be cheap. It could use a DVD drive to store the infomation this way it would keep costs down.

More importantly this system would be the same as the AES/MVS in other words exactly the same hardware (so there would be a home version), but with the DVDS not being compatible with one another.

The tech specs could be simple something pc based like this:

AMD athlon 1800+ (1.5ghz)
ati radeon 9600
512mb ddr400
dvd 24X

or something else completly different, this would be more than enough for 2d don't you think?

has anyone else thought of this?, why haven't playmore considered this?. If playmore decided to do this we could have a KOF or LAST BLADE looking like GUILTY GEAR X!.

your thoughts?

console manufacturers makes next to no money on the console they sell.... actual fact... they prob loose money

they generate profit from software...3rd party developers have to pay a % of the profit to the console manufacturers

snk cant afford to do that... just isn't enough 3rd party developers making 2d games... and why would ppl buy a new console aim at 2d... cos everyone likes 3d nowadays...

i am not against the idea but i can not see this happening

why would snk want to bring out a new system? they making money thru software. just like what sega is doing... they pull the plug on the dreamcast

Mushiki

flaming petrosexual,
15 Year Member
SNK should develop their own NAOMI derivate, just like Sammy did.

And considering that NAOMI has a scalable graphics architecture, updating the hardware would be extremely easy.

They really do not need to make their own hardware, NAOMI/Atomiswave are great for 2D and fairly good for 3D. SNK has also worked with the PlayStation2 architecture, so System246 development wouldn't be difficult.

Regarding home releases, any of the current systems can run NAOMI/Atomiswave/System246 level software, so ports would be practically arcade perfect.

Last edited:

SHO

Raiden's Valet
i say snk develop a top class joystick for the other console and try to perfect the game on the other console

bring out a heavy duty joystick on the xbox and make perfect port on it:)

Genjuro01

n00b
SNK response.

Emailed the Hong Kong office not to long ago on the topic that is being discussed. I dont think that SNK will adopt anything from the Naoimi. I am quite sure that they will create there own architecture again that will last many years.
They did respond to me, but it is in NIHON-GO and I am not exactly completely fluent as of this time but am improving with my turor.
I will interperit it this morning and post in the rumors section what they said. One line does say future but that could mean anything. Will post it soon.:buttrock: