New Style Stick?

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Any reason why they are overlooked in favour of the original?

Are they worth owning as a spare/secondary pad?

Please, Discuss!!! :)

ericb

NEST Puppet
There are countless "New vs Old Sytle Stick" threads, and they all boill down to one thing: preference. I don't know, I like them both, but I still perfer the old style. The new style is nice because it's cheap and easier to transport because it's smaller, but honestly, most people like the old style.

And if you buy one and don't like it, I'm sure you can resell it on the forums here or on eBay, so you might as well pick one up (if you get a good deal).

Freelancer

Banned
I love both sticks, but I prefer a the old style for fighters and the new style for Metal Slug type games. Why? I find the ABCD buttons on the older stick to be too clunky and hollow and don't hold up to the constant tapping required in the slugs. The new style's ABCD buttons are similar to the soft-switch buttons found on the NES Advantage.

For fighters, the old style is simply the best. Ultra precise and a good overall layout.

SeaWolf69

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
Yep,

I like them both as well, they have a different feel than each other but handle pretty much the same. I like to use the new style ones with my AES & the old style with my cabinets. I think because when I'm playing the AES, I'm at the couch, I can kick back & relax with them. With the old style ones, I have to sit up and they feel more stable on my lap. Still, it more of what type of mood I'm in to which sticks I want to use. I can go either way, my friends prefer the old styles. They say that it is more responsive controller & they like the clicks it makes. :smirk:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Old style is more precise for fighters and other games that require complicated movements. New style are ok for shooters and sports games, but are awkward for fighters, mostly because the stick is too short. That's my opinion, anyway.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Thanks for the replies so far, but i missed one crucial detail : are the wires longer on the new style stick? The short wires on the old one mean i constantly pull it out just a little, resulting in the select and D buttons not working.

Freelancer

Banned
Plisken said:
Thanks for the replies so far, but i missed one crucial detail : are the wires longer on the new style stick? The short wires on the old one mean i constantly pull it out just a little, resulting in the select and D buttons not working.

The cord length is about the same.

Vincere

No longer Tristesse
Plisken said:
Any reason why they are overlooked in favour of the original?
Because you don't have to turn your right elbow like crazy to play with the four fingers like on the shitty old-style.

Are they worth owning as a spare/secondary pad?
Please, Discuss!!! :)

My secondary pad will always be the old-style one. As long as my new-style works.

IMO

Orochi Iori Y

Frenzy Football Player
Both are good, but I prefer the new style for the button layout and button style. With the old stick I have to use my thumb and three fingers to comfortably use the four buttons, with the new style I can use four fingers instead and I like the feel of that better. Just a matter of preference and the way you are comfortable playing though....

Underdog

Camel Slug
Tristesse said:
Because you don't have to turn your right elbow like crazy to play with the four fingers like on the shitty old-style.

Yeah, I looked at the old style but it looked like playing with it would be like trying to play SNK fighters on the Agetec DC stick: Painful.

Freelancer

Banned
Underdog said:
Yeah, I looked at the old style but it looked like playing with it would be like trying to play SNK fighters on the Agetec DC stick: Painful.

It's not as bad as it seems. You'll adapt.

Underdog

Camel Slug
Freelancer said:
It's not as bad as it seems. You'll adapt.

I dunno. I have a new-style stick right now and it works alright. If it becomes a problem I might check out an old-style. They still look pretty rough, though.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Is the new style heavy so that it won't move when you are performing moves with the joystick?

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
galfordo said:
Old style is more precise for fighters and other games that require complicated movements. New style are ok for shooters and sports games, but are awkward for fighters, mostly because the stick is too short. That's my opinion, anyway.
Spot on there galfordo....i agree totally, new style stick rules for shooters! & they are plentiful and cheap...i still use my new style stick for fighters though as i do not want to use my old style sticks as they are nearly new. i'm geting funny like that now.... neo obsession :crying: .

Freelancer

Banned
neo_X7 said:
Is the new style heavy so that it won't move when you are performing moves with the joystick?

It's not heavy at all.
And yeah, it will move a bit regardless due to its weird kidney bean shape.

Rade K

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The new style stick is only good for black dudes with giant hands who grip it like a gamepad.