New, unopened disc-based consles in box

vincewy

Loyal Neo-Disciple,
20 Year Member
I have a dilema and question for experts here.

I have a few new, unopened new consoles (Dreamcast and Neo-Geo CD) that are not even opened, I'm at a point of debating whether to open it and let it run for a little bit or just keep them in the box.

I've heard about new disc-based consoles having the belt dried up if you don't use them (the heat keeps the units' belts moist and smooth), so what's everyone's opinions here? How long can I let my new consoles sit in the box w/o the belts dying on me? Even if the units are dying, can the belts be easily replaced or repaired?

RAINBOW PONY

DASH DARK ANDY K,
20 Year Member
vincewy said:
I have a dilema and question for experts here.

I have a few new, unopened new consoles (Dreamcast and Neo-Geo CD) that are not even opened, I'm at a point of debating whether to open it and let it run for a little bit or just keep them in the box.

I've heard about new disc-based consoles having the belt dried up if you don't use them (the heat keeps the units' belts moist and smooth), so what's everyone's opinions here? How long can I let my new consoles sit in the box w/o the belts dying on me? Even if the units are dying, can the belts be easily replaced or repaired?

the belt is part of the cd drive, so you could buy an old system and swap the drives. i've never heard of this, i bought a sealed sega cd last year, that was basically sitting since like 95 or whenever the last year of production was, and it works perfect.