New Year's Resolution: Theft

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I must say it sucks to hear about the property that some of you get stolen/vandalized...

I was with a friend going to see a movie tonight when someone pryed their way into her car and nabbed the Garmin GPS system. I guess it's the only time she's left it in the car (the glovebox to be exact) since she received it as a gift for Christmas. The keyhole is now wrecked, and the automatic locks no longer work so it's going to be quite a bit to get repaired. They left other valuables in the car, along with a few of my CDs and a gift of mine that hadn't been opened yet.

Is there such a thing as GPS detection where thieves can go around and track which vehicles have a unit handy?

-1 for petty theft!

:angry:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
actually that's pretty funny.
my friend was at a resturant and him and 3 other cars got broken into.
just car stereos though.
and one of the cars had the same exact gps system,
another had a sirus receiver and blue tooth head phone thing.
but they skipped over it and ruined locks and broken my roommates window
for that. gotta be some dumb ass crack heads or something.

SSS

neo retired
portable GPS guides are the new stereos. It's suggested to keep a few alcohol wipes handy in your car. Simply hiding the unit isn't enough, you also need to remove evidence it was there. Use the alcohol pads to wipe away the suction cup rings from the window or dashboard.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Cheaper all around to just ask for directions at the gas station.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
Cheaper all around to just ask for directions at the gas station.

As a former clerk I can tell you that I hate being asked for directions.

Especially when it is something whacky.

One time someone asked me how to get to some city in Oklahoma.

I love when people get upset too when you didn't know how to get somewhere.

Also, maps for the win.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Lagduf said:

Also, maps for the win.

Word.

Learn to use a fucking road atlas.

Hell, if it is just Interstate driving you should know how to get somewhere (roughly) just by the numbering system. E-W roads are numbered with even numbers lowest numbers in the south (I-10 runs through the Florida Panhandle all the way to Southern California) N-S roads are odd numbers lowest numbers on the West Coast.

Even numbered prefixed roads are loops or bypasses I-640 is a Knoxville bypass, I-295 is a loop around Jacksonville.

Odd numbered roads are spurs that dead end somewhere. I-140 is a spur off I-40 out to the Knoxville airport.

Had someone ask me once how to get to a road. Problem was they were on that road, and I'll be damned if I knew which part of that road (which runs for about 20 miles all the way through town and beyond) they needed to be on. I also give directions about 5 times a day to people trying to find my work. It's both ridiculous that everyone has to transfer them to me because they can't give directions as much as it is ridiculous that everyone has to ask how to get there.

I bet most of these people don't even know a city map has a road index and a grid system that makes things take 3 seconds to find where you need to be.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Lagduf said:

Also, maps for the win.
You will give me directions and like it.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
SouthtownKid said:
You will give me directions and like it.

I would give you directions.

And smile.

You would never know on the inside that I was a spiteful man who hated his job who was secretly cursing you.

Better hope you were nice to me, otherwise you might end up where you really didn't want to go.

Cue sinister music.

Last edited: