NG.com Beer Thread/Beer Discussion

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Sucks is such a great beer and a great name with a great story on how it got the name.

A related comment.

Many people get arsey about beer: "you like Erdinger!?!?!?!??111!? That's not a proper authentic Hefeweissbier" and shit like that. I say: you drink what you want and like what you like. If any of you are familiar with the British beer/ale/cider scene, you know about 'Camra Nazis'.
So yeah. Drink your shit and enjoy it all!

Heh, CAMRA has a nice backstory and a great reason to exist. I read "Cellarmanship" to brush up on serving cask beer for our restaurant. Holy shit, they are batty. Cask beer can be amazing, but so can keg beer. Ultimately, I think they really need to shift their goals, stop praising shitty cask beer just for being a cask and damning good keg beer just because it is in a keg and start promoting good beer no matter how it is served or they risk losing the current generation of drinkers.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
LOVE the FBS ballzdeepx!

Paulaner original Helles Lager is nice too if that's what you got 2D Master

selfReg

n00b
founders-breakfast-stout-pour.jpg

I hate anyone who has access to Breakfast Stout. Such an excellent beer. I've had one bottle to this day, and that was last winter when I traded for that plus a few other midwest-only stouts to a friend out there. Gave him a pair of Pliny the Elders and a pair of Double Jacks. I pray to try KBS one day.

found a place locally that has a choice craft selection. They had a few cases of my favorite imperial stout that I can get around here. That would be the Ten Fidy:

131005_01_zpsbd083f77.png

there's this pub in downtown SJ that got it on tap for the season. Shit was like a straight up milkshake. Seriously great.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Yeah I can't get Founders in AZ either! Damn you.

Been drinking a bit of Samuel Smiths and some other offerings from Deschuttes and New Belgium.

lithy

20 Year Member
Yeah I can't get Founders in AZ either! Damn you.

Been drinking a bit of Samuel Smiths and some other offerings from Deschuttes and New Belgium.

If you like hoppy stuff, check out La Cumbre's offerings. They're in NM, but I'm pretty sure distribute their cans to AZ.

Also, some place called Fate in Scottsdale has been making a lot of noise among the beer nerds. I'm pretty sure they're on site only, nothing bottled, but it might be worth checking out if it is close or you're in town.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
This thread is going to be 10 years old in 2015. That's pretty awesome.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
To anyone in the NEPA region - Hopslam will be in Shangy's tomorrow at 9 AM

lithy

20 Year Member
To anyone in the NEPA region - Hopslam will be in Shangy's tomorrow at 9 AM

Fucking Shangy's.

They're basically the reason we have shitty selection in Western PA. Breweries sign an exclusive statewide distro contract with Shangy's and then they won't service this side of the state.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

I could never develop a taste for beer, but shit like this always makes me want to try it. Fucking double chocolate coffee oatmeal sounds delicious as hell. I always buy those weird flavors, open one, and am like, well, fuck, this still tastes like a god damn beer.

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
Yeah, the three tier system is completely obsolete IMO. I'm gonna be driving there over an hour to get it. There used to be this spot somewhat close to me that broke the rules and was selling all kinds of singles that were not supposed to be distributed to this area. They must have gotten reported I guess.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
I could never develop a taste for beer, but shit like this always makes me want to try it. Fucking double chocolate coffee oatmeal sounds delicious as hell. I always buy those weird flavors, open one, and am like, well, fuck, this still tastes like a god damn beer.

This one is really good, and by the time you're done with the first one you'll be hooked.

Got some stuff for the weekend
Green-Flash-Green-Bullet.jpg

firestone-walker-double-jack-double-ipa.jpg

tumblr_mckoi9xpm51qd0jy3.jpg

Happy drinkin all.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Not sure yet Lag, just a photo I found but I'm a big fan of just about everything they make that I've tried. They are opening a brewery here in Chicago, can't wait until it's done.

I'll report back though once I try it.

lithy

20 Year Member
Not to sway your opinion early or anything, but I have found Lagunitas's Imperial Stout to be lacking when I had it previously.

I much prefer North Coast Old Rasputin and Bells Expedition Stout.

Domino-chan

, Certified Gamer Chick,
20 Year Member
IMG_0686[1].jpg

Had this over the holidays. All I can say is WOW.

Last edited:

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
Also curious about the Lagunitas' Imperial Stout.

Was gonna try some, but I picked up some Old Rasputin and a few bottles of Stone Ruination IPA. Never had any Stone brew before, it was good.

Also, I tried some of that Rogue Brutal IPA at California Pizza Kitchen. Not really sure it was worth the money($8 for 22 oz), but I can prolly find it for cheap at my local booze shack.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also curious about the Lagunitas' Imperial Stout.

Was gonna try some, but I picked up some Old Rasputin and a few bottles of Stone Ruination IPA. Never had any Stone brew before, it was good.

Also, I tried some of that Rogue Brutal IPA at California Pizza Kitchen. Not really sure it was worth the money($8 for 22 oz), but I can prolly find it for cheap at my local booze shack.

Old Rasputin...is...so damn good.

Place near me has it on tap. It's so easy to drink for the alcohol content. Probably a good thing they sell it in a 4-pack instead of a 6.

Stone Double Bastard is my favorite stone brew. I usually just pick up the 22 or 24oz or whatever it is. Good way to start a night of drinking or a great brew if you just want one.

I'm about to make some Guinness Stew, does that count as drinking?

ExJoe

n00b
The first time I tried Old Rasputin, my friend told me that it pours like oil and smells like vodka. I was not disappointed.

Although I'm a fan of stouts, right now I really like Trappistes Rochefort 10 -- finally saved up enough for a case of it at the end of last year, and the flavor just gets me every single time. Every other Trappist beer I've had was great, but this is on a level by itself.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Just some feedback on the Lagunitas Imperial Stout, It was pretty damn good. I was pleasantly surprised and would say it's some of the better imperial to be had at that price point for sure ($5 a bomber).

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Nice. I love Imperial Stouts I will have to try that one.

Had the new Sam Adams Rebel IPA. A very citrusy drinkable beer. Good stuff. Not really "west coast" style like Sierra Nevada or Lagunitas or Stone but its the most American Style IPA Sam Adams has made.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Hmm ill keep an eye out for that one then.
Decided to crack this open as its been sitting for most of 2013.
Unbelievable. ...
so damned good. If you ever see these (typically in a special box)
Pick one up and save it for a frigid day.20140128_191229.jpg

I'm going to say this is the best imperial I've ever had by a mile. It's sweeter but strong, full deep flavors.
Top notch.

Last edited:

Neorebel

Viewpoint Vigilante
OHHH snap you got the Parabola! Do want. I love the Wookey Jack and the Double jack of theirs.

Also, ExJoe, Rochefort 10 is amazing, one of the best Belgian Quads out there. If you haven't already you might want to seek out some St. Bernadeus Abt 12 or Pannepot Riserva...