NGDev Reprints

mjmjr25

went home to be a family man
10 Year Member
I agree. It would be a good way to get some more reprints out.
But I don't understand what the problem with doing preorders for the reprints... there has to be a market there.

I think it is a strategic business plan to not pump out reprints.

If they constantly stocked as they sold out eventually the secondary market would be flooded. I can buy new from them at $700 or I can buy used on the forums at $500. As there are more and more on that secondary market the price becomes more competitive and pretty soon they are $300 on the forums / ebay. Now when they release the next game at $700 who is going to buy it knowing if they wait 18 months they can get it for half that price. I think the demand they see now (selling out titles in a day or two) would rapidly dissipate and destroy their market model. I think it has very very little to do with the availability of PCB's or shells.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Price for Fast Striker reprint in 2013 was only 359 euro. Now it is 399 euro. A significant increase. Pretty sure the other games have also increased in price. Fast Striker was the most expensive reprint in 2013.

Yeppers. Looks like prices have increased on this print. I'm sure these are smaller runs, though, so it makes sense. Last batch was a big reprint, but I can't imagine the demand is still high enough for lots of reprints this time, hence a more expensive run.

For the first time Gunlord is tempting me. I know it's a great game, but not one I wanted to play on MVS... It tempts me, though. I should grab a DC version of it just to play.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Gunlord feels like a console game. That's the reason I got the homecart version instead of mvs like Fast Striker and LHPB.

LegoSlug

Over Top Auto Mechanic

If they constantly stocked as they sold out eventually the secondary market would be flooded. I can buy new from them at $700 or I can buy used on the forums at $500. As there are more and more on that secondary market the price becomes more competitive and pretty soon they are $300 on the forums / ebay. Now when they release the next game at $700 who is going to buy it knowing if they wait 18 months they can get it for half that price. I think the demand they see now (selling out titles in a day or two) would rapidly dissipate and destroy their market model. I think it has very very little to do with the availability of PCB's or shells.

I noticed some recent ebay auction sales of their games have sold for reasonable prices. So prices are leveling out in the secondary market. While it is unlikely these games will ever be as cheap as other MVS carts, we might see $300-400 sales eventually.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Yeppers. Looks like prices have increased on this print. I'm sure these are smaller runs, though, so it makes sense. Last batch was a big reprint, but I can't imagine the demand is still high enough for lots of reprints this time, hence a more expensive run.

For the first time Gunlord is tempting me. I know it's a great game, but not one I wanted to play on MVS... It tempts me, though. I should grab a DC version of it just to play.

I have a copy of the DC version that you can borrow for awhile if you want. LMK.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
They should have a email list so people that are very interested can be on the know. Maybe they do have one, I'm happy with Gunlord but the other games I'm not super psyched about, I'd like a MVS kit someday but I'm fine with the DC copy.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They do have an email list. I get their notifications when something is up. It's probably limited to customers who have bought from them directly though.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,

hm, good points.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Is that the only reason? I figured it also was a collectors thing....that people would go postal on them if they made another batch of those "highly limited" AES games.

Then again, aren't the MVS releases also supposed to be limited? They obviously don't mind re-releasing those. So maybe it does come down to money, which is a real shame. No idea how I'm ever supposed to afford the three games of theirs that I missed.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Very good point indeed. I don't know if it would necessarily drive demand down enough to lower prices to half of direct sales. Possibly on the used market, but don't underestimate collectors' desire for that minty fresh NIB shit. I've seen some serious nuts out there that would NEVER buy used. Even though there's not that many die-hards, relatively speaking, I'm sure there's enough for them to maintain their current business model. Not saying that their current model is really the best if they want to keep pumping out a game every year or so.

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple
Is that the only reason? I figured it also was a collectors thing....that people would go postal on them if they made another batch of those "highly limited" AES games.

Then again, aren't the MVS releases also supposed to be limited? They obviously don't mind re-releasing those. So maybe it does come down to money, which is a real shame. No idea how I'm ever supposed to afford the three games of theirs that I missed.

Me either! Lol. I could probably afford used copies once a year over the next 3 years.

T. J.エs shanty

Zero's Secretary

...this is definately one of the reasons. Some collectors would be VERY angry, if they released a new batch of homecarts for their existing games. The limitation is a pretty big reason their games are sold out as fast as they are and command those high prices on the second hand market...

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
...this is definately one of the reasons. Some collectors would be VERY angry, if they released a new batch of homecarts for their existing games. The limitation is a pretty big reason their games are sold out as fast as they are and command those high prices on the second hand market...

It is my understanding that the reprints only include the cart, cardboard box and bubble bag, so the collectors should still have all the other shit they got with their LE (OST, posters, shockbox with inserts, mini marquees, etc.). Am I wrong?

Regards.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
they could sell posters or other shwag

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Gunlord feels like a console game.

Exactly my thoughts, I would even go further in saying, that Gunlord is a Home Computer affair. Those Amiga roots are uncanny... and as much, as I love this most popular Commodore baby, it looks and feels somehow deranged on the Neo.

Still, as soon, as I forget, on what I actually am playing it... the allure gets me for good ;).

...I assume, that it would be near to impossible to get that attraction on a Candy, though. But hey, to each is own...

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
It is my understanding that the reprints only include the cart, cardboard box and bubble bag, so the collectors should still have all the other shit they got with their LE (OST, posters, shockbox with inserts, mini marquees, etc.). Am I wrong?

Regards.

You are correct. That extra stuff is really the only thing that adds any value to the limited edition MVS carts. I don't know if posters and a soundtrack are really worth the premium price. The only thing that I care about in the LE is the shockbox, and we can actually print that up our selves if we want to.

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Well, but what about the AES version? They can't very well sell a loose cart so a snapcase would have to be included....and the second wave of preorders comes without all the SWAG anyway. So a reprint would not be different from those at all.

That being said, I'd still love for some AES reprints to be made, obviously. :)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Homecart is easy to tell because of the serial number sticker in the back.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
they could also just do alternate art for the home reprints... might even get some collectards to buy yet another copy then.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
they could also just do alternate art for the home reprints... might even get some collectards to buy yet another copy then.

The idea is ace, but new art means new expenses... and bearing those is so unalike Tim&René, I don't even want to further speculate on this.

If there will be a difference, then in form of something easily attachable. Or maybe they'll just get a sober black marker and do it all the way NAM-1975 style...? Or the classic NGF stamp method... tis so fancy, it won't ever go out of vogue ;).

MidnightMonkey

Loyal Neo-Disciple

Seems about right. Most other reprint games do that.

Fuck a stamp though lol. I mean don't get me wrong. It's not like I'm keeping Raizon behind glass or anything. But I don't want no damn stamp on that shit!

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
Guys, randomly someone (in another forum) posted the Wii U games for 2015 including indies/digital only and I saw Gunlord... is that for real or just was something not 100% confirmed?

jeffensminger

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
Guys, randomly someone (in another forum) posted the Wii U games for 2015 including indies/digital only and I saw Gunlord... is that for real or just was something not 100% confirmed?

I know they tried to get it crowd funded but they came nowhere near the goal they set. I'm pretty sure it's not happening.