Noob question: for a CMVS 1C can I supply too much power?

Cross

n00b
I am consolizing an MV 1c. I have a 5 amp, 12v supply for the system and 2 video converters. Is it possible to supply too many amps?

And are both 12V and 5V necessary?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The device will only draw the amperage it needs, so no worries there. It's feeding too much voltage that fries stuff.

I've never messed with a 1c, so someone else would have to answer the other question. On my 2 slot, you can do a simple modification to make it 5v only, as the 12v only drove the speaker amp which is unnecessary in consolization.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The device will only draw the amperage it needs, so no worries there. It's feeding too much voltage that fries stuff.

I've never messed with a 1c, so someone else would have to answer the other question. On my 2 slot, you can do a simple modification to make it 5v only, as the 12v only drove the speaker amp which is unnecessary in consolization.

Yeah the MV1C is easy to 5v only mod as well providing you don't need the speaker amp.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm retarded. I just remembered that the CMVS I got from the Pope is a 1c, and runs off a 5v 3a power supply, so yes, it's obviously possible.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I am consolizing an MV 1c. I have a 5 amp, 12v supply for the system and 2 video converters. Is it possible to supply too many amps?

And are both 12V and 5V necessary?

12v isn't normally necessary, but your video encoders might need it. What kind of video encoders did you buy?

Cross

n00b
12v isn't normally necessary, but your video encoders might need it. What kind of video encoders did you buy?

I have the J rok and a monoprice.

You guys answer 2 questions, and 2 more pop up haha thanks though

Can I still supply that 12 volts just because?

And which neo geo systems plug totally ok into a jamma harness? (I have a 1c and 1fz and I remember one of them could, but I don't want to chance it now)

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I have the J rok and a monoprice.

You guys answer 2 questions, and 2 more pop up haha thanks though

Can I still supply that 12 volts just because?

And which neo geo systems plug totally ok into a jamma harness? (I have a 1c and 1fz and I remember one of them could, but I don't want to chance it now)

No, you need the 5v rail. The majority of the board and the cartridges are powered by 5v. Only the audio amp section is powered by 12v because 5v isn't enough to drive the sound amp to run unamplified speakers.

Only the 1-slots are jamma compatible. The multislots are close by not quite.