Now that Feinstein's disarmemrment bills are effectively sunk we need "videogame control"

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm just going to start voting against Feinstein even it means getting some insane right wing zealot in office. It might be worth it to get her out. It just might.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Pro gun control, pro censorship cunt, who uses her status as head of the defense sub committee to steer contracts towards her husbands company. Also one of the least attractive human beings to grace American politics.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
The NRA's assertion that video games lead to mass violence is also reprehensible.

The NRA has really fucked up their public relations campaign in the wake of Sandy Hook. Armed guards in every school is absurd, period. And now they're throwing videogames under the bus as a scapegoat when they NRA should know all too well about things (guns) being used as a scapegoat.

Oh well at least they hired Colion Noir. They need to get some shooters from CA in their spotlight, or anywhere else that has a lot of younger and diverse shooters.

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith

(the key part starts at 2:37)

...and also:

A 2002 study published by the U.S. Secret Service found that only 12 percent of perpetrators of school violence had an interest in violent video games. But 37 percent “exhibited an interest in violence in their own writings, such as poems, essays or journal entries.”
http://www.secretservice.gov/ntac/ssi_final_report.pdf

It's like Lieberman and Feinstein are not even willing to acknowledge that this stuff is out there, all courtesy of our own government, plainly spelling out how full of s**t they are about video games.

:oh_no:

Feel free to save those links for future reference against any ignorant dope making such a ridiculous, unfounded claim.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Also Feinstein is fucking dumb.

Does she not remember the completely inept CA State Senator Yee's attempt to "ban" the sale of violent videogames to minors?

The Supreme Court of the United States, in a 7-2 decision, struck down that garbage.

Feinstein is a statist through and through.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper
It's not so much that this is illogical as much as it's anti-logical.

Scrolling down on the second link, there is a chart showing the rate of violent crime, overlaid by a chronological chart of of releases of notable violent videogames; while it's bad to off half-cocked and making a hypothesis without extrapolating the data first (correlation does not prove causation), but it's easy to infer that playing violent videogames actually makes people less violent in real-life.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
law degrees should be mandatory for senators..

so that voters don't accidentally elect fucking morons

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
law degrees should be mandatory for senators..

so that voters don't accidentally elect fucking morons

Seriously. I'd love to start seeing requirements for running for any office other than being rich.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
You guys are making a mountain out a molehill. When you actually track down the senator's comments, they are rather innocuous, or at best ambiguous.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The NRA's assertion that video games lead to mass violence is also reprehensible.

The NRA has really fucked up their public relations campaign in the wake of Sandy Hook. Armed guards in every school is absurd, period. And now they're throwing videogames under the bus as a scapegoat when they NRA should know all too well about things (guns) being used as a scapegoat.

That is when you knew the NRA was in trouble. Any time you have a bunch of lobbyists blame another lobby, you know their back is to the wall.

But anyways, I like the NRA blaming a sick media culture.

But when Bob Costas questions the "Gun Culture" of the NFL???? The gun aficionados go crazy.

The gun culture (but maybe not guns themselves) is part of the problem.

Violent media is just a part of the USA's Gun Culture.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Perhaps it's the culture of self righteousness thats the problem, perhaps the congress should intervene, since we are not savvy enough to make decisions for ourselves.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That is when you knew the NRA was in trouble. Any time you have a bunch of lobbyists blame another lobby, you know their back is to the wall.

But anyways, I like the NRA blaming a sick media culture.

But when Bob Costas questions the "Gun Culture" of the NFL???? The gun aficionados go crazy.

The gun culture (but maybe not guns themselves) is part of the problem.

Violent media is just a part of the USA's Gun Culture.

I'd view it as the NRA leadership being in trouble - trouble in the sense that they have no idea of how to do public relations with those not a part of their group (and frankly even NRA members are annoyed by their fearmongering scare tactics.) If I was the NRA I wouldn't have even offered a "solution." Evil and/or sick people do terrible things. No amount of legislation can change that.

EDIT: I really don't like Feinstein.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
i think the NRA had to do something. From a political standpoint, the NRA basically has two stock answers.

1. Freedom (essentially trying to get people to think of guns as an abstract concept)
2. More Guns (Dumb reasoning that only resonates with people already in the tank)

The problem with the first and more compelling answer is that when there are white, suburban children getting shot up, it is hard to think of these things in the abstract.

Anyways, the Gun Crowd is in for a tough fight. Mostly because they go about it all wrong. All this "Cold dead hands stuff". All this implied threat of violence if we don't get our way. I can't think of one social movement in the last 100 years that achieved success through violence or threat of violence.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I think you're spot on there.

Liberty in in the abstract is always a tough sell.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Sure.

I'd add that a lot of respected small to medium sized arms companies are principled with deep committments to the second amendment. The old moneyed arms makers (Colt, Freedom Group, Ruger, etc) are all beholden to the shareholders and (in some cases) government contracts.

As long as the SAF continues to kick ass in court then it's allllll good.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I'm glad Bill Ruger is dead.

Well, not that he is so dead but that he isn't in charge of Ruger anymore.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
How about the fact that "The Rifleman" hasn't had a negative review for 30 odd years.

can you name a gun that deserves a shitty review? or how about a manufacturer that makes shitty guns? they are few and far between

it's an extremely competitive market, and if they don't respond to complaints quickly, they'll get pushed out of the market

further, who decided that all reviews for the past thirty years were not negative? it's just a silly claim

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I'll have to defer that question to someone who is more into the gun culture than myself. But poke around. Nobody trusts Rifleman reviews. It's the Nintendo Power of the gun world.

Do other modern firearm related periodicals have many negative reviews? Not so much either. But those periodicals also rely on said industries.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I'll have to defer that question to someone who is more into the gun culture than myself. But poke around. Nobody trusts Rifleman reviews. It's the Nintendo Power of the gun world.

Do other modern firearm related periodicals have many negative reviews? Not so much either. But those periodicals also rely on said industries.

Perhaps you should hold a position at Scotland Yard.