Ode to the Neo Hyper 64

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I finally recieved my Hyper 64 system and let me say that if anyone is considering buying one to get one of the New US systems offered up on ebay for $350.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=436816299

I know you can order them cheaper from Cosmico and Mak-jp but this is what you get with the new kit.

1 hyper system (this was the newer one without the RCA jack however it does require the extra power for sound)

2. Samurai showdown 64 cart

3. Cab side art and button covers (these are to big stickers to put on the cab sides of 2-samurai Showdown stickers like my poster, a big SNK and a big hyper64)

4. The manuals

5. it's in english
smile.gif

6. Marquee and mini poster

okay so there I was when I got Home with the SNK box waiting outside my house looking like hell (horriers) of course the post people and I have a understanding to leave things outside since I live in a nice neighborhood and can only run to the P.O. on weekends.

anyway I took it in my house and plopt in on my dining room table and started to disect it. after I found the Hyper system I took it out and ran to my jamma cab (50") I unpluged the harness from my Neo mvs, pluged it into the hyper and started to play. Ok No sound, I knew this would happen but that's ok i will wire the +5v later. Samurai Showdown 64 was cool enough. Sure the graphic were a step between a playstation and a dreamcast but still it looked cool enough. The 2d effects were a nice added feature also. I started with Kazumi and Fought my way to genjuro. Now this was kinda cool. we were fighting in his Dojo and a punch him through the wall into the courtyard and then started to kick his butt some more. the control was kinda awkward at first but I got used to it. Today I'm going to work on getting the power to the sound and going from there. anyway for those with the jamma setup and hardcore neogeo fans it is diffently a nice little system especialy for the price. I also played Buriki one a little bit however the controls were backwards (joystick did punches and buttons moved back and forth) is it supppose to be that way? seems rather odd to me. I think I have a plug adapter that will switch my connection in the Dynamo but the jamma pinout are setup correctly. Anybody know if that is how the game plays. anyway I think I may pick up a beast busters also for it with some guns. Now that will be cool. I was going to get some guns for my cab anyway to play the shooting games on it. Oh well now all i need is SS2 64, FFWA,BB2 and the driving games (I can wire a steering wheel and peddles).

SmokeYa

Crossed Swords Squire
You do not need to wire up the 5 volt connecter in order to get sound. If you have a standard jamma setup, the Hyper64 can get it's power though the jamma connector. For some reason, the sound only comes though the 4pin connector on the front of the hyper64 and not the jamma connector. Just hook up your speakers to that 4 pin connecter. It the unit was purchased new, it should come with speaker wire and a 4-pin connector to plug into the front of the hyper64.

I have both a neogeo-16 and a hyper64 in my mvs cabinet. I just wired up a switch, which allows me to choose to output audio from either my neogeo16 or my hyper64 to the speakers. I can post a wiring diagram if you want.

By the way, the graphics and playability of SSII64 warriors rage are FAR better then the first version.

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
really I will have to pick up warriore rage soon then. Buriki one does not appear all that great. it is so different from other neo fighters with the joystick being used for attacks. I keep wanting to do a fireball motion and uppercut but it never seems to work. Samurai Showdown 64 is really cool though, the end boss seems cheap as hell but the scenes are pretty cool. especially when you get sucked down in they pit and that big guy that looks like something form resident evil starts attacking you. I have been able to finsh buriki with a few fighter but have yet to finish samurai. Well I will be picking up FFWA soon also so then its to decide if I want to get the other on fighting games or use the money for the next auction I go to.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
hey big b

Samuari shodown 64 warrior rage is awsome!! but Buniki one is my fav game (i just love that game!) i used the triangle buttons and and 8-way joystick! Fatal fury 64 is cool! and samuri shodown 64 is awsome! but Xereeme racer and off beat racer is Sweet! (to bad you will never get your hand on them!) you have to buy the cabnet!(i bought the cabnet and guted it and but but a med-res montior and sold it on e-bay as a cail speed) that how i got mine! but you can get Beast Buster 2 Second nighter kit at a price (750 dollars)and it a ok gun game! but not worth 750 dollars! but as a hyper neo geo 64 fan i had to have it! i just cant belive the pricews on the hypers any more! it silly!!! i payed colse to 2,900 dollars for a samurai shodown 64 kit in 1997 now you can pick you that same kit for under 400 dollars!! well I guess that tells ya game over for the hyper! I total sucks! Wouldn't it be awsome if they made on last game for the hyper!!

Big Bruno

20 Year Member
Well I don't Know if I will never be able to get them. I do attend arcade auction on a regular basis and although I have not seen to many hypers come across you never know when one is going to pop up. I imagine they would go cheap to since not to many operators are going to want to sink money in a dead system.

it would be awesome if they made one last game for it. the one thing about the hyper is it has good 2d graphics as well. Even though it is a 3d system it's a shame, they could have also put out some awesome 2d games for it and add some extra effects.

eazy

Cheng's Errand Boy
I feel ya big b

It does have it share of 2d power! It would have been awesome if they would have made a 2d game with 3d effects! Maybe a samurai shodown 5 or a KOF

It A Shame THis System was never ment to make it i think SNK wanted it to fail for the get go! Maybe for write offs! or a easy way out of sell out!

belive me If this Hyper hade the sopport it would have ruled the arcades! (just like the mvs did in the early 90s!) Heck I cant belive they thought the system was only going to make it on a 2 game a year plan!

but the hyper would have be a great 2d system as well as a 3d one!