Ohms the new Deftones album

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
They just put this out and I'm listening to it right now.
I love it already. Feels streamlined and engaged. The last great album they put out before this in my mind was Diamond Eyes, with Gore being a misstep, hard to listen to for me.

I would rate this higher than Diamond Eyes to be honest. This one is a White Pony baby.
My favourite albums are the first 4, self titled in particular. This one feels part of that lineage.

Quite unbelievable. A great rock record. As if it where their first

Tung Fu ru

Actual Musician,
20 Year Member
I've been listening to it as well. It's pretty fucking good, way better than Gore. But to be fair, Gore is IMO by far their weakest album. The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. I've already been jamming out to Ohms and Genesis since their releases, so I had high Hope's for this album. Definitely didn't disappoint.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Thanks for reminding me about this. Going to d/l now.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I’ve given it a couple of listens. Need more time with it. I like what I hear so far.

I’m similar to you DevilR, in that I like their early stuff better but I would extend it to their first 5 as I really like Saturday Night Wrist. I think that is their most underrated.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I’ve given it a couple of listens. Need more time with it. I like what I hear so far.

I’m similar to you DevilR, in that I like their early stuff better but I would extend it to their first 5 as I really like Saturday Night Wrist. I think that is their most underrated.

Yeah Saturday Night Wrists feels like caps off an era. Maybe their most anthemic and melody driven album, definitely underrated, Chino was going through a Sumo stage so it was a weird time in the life of the band.

What I like most about this album is that they have been able to marry together very interesting guitar scapes and textures with very direct, lean song structures. It's confident and aware of what it is and how to be it. The synths work flawlessly, they where always ment to sound like something out of a cyberpunk soundtrack eventually. that electro sound has been there from the early days, but here it's way more pointedly directed at creating a future-retro sound.

How bad is Gore though? Not too fond of Koi but the song Rosemary is epic and a masterpiece so to me the album is a kind of bloated single with a ton of b sides.
Gore is ridiculous, Stephen was not really on board, Chino was probably going through some musical identity crisis what with all the other projects he was involved in, plus the then current music scene with it's sophisticated indie offerings probably making him want to be a part of it.
That's why I don't understand how they where able to resurge so convincingly, and creatively. Nothing here sounds like a repeat of older stuff, just a true progression of the craft.

Will stop gushing now about it. Just to say that to me it seems like their most simple, trimmed and immediate album since their first, and that above all, the Deftones are purveyors of good taste. How I would love to see them play this album live.

Like you Tung, was already blasting the 2 songs they released beforehand.

rip Cheng forever

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Ok I think I was a little over enthusiastic with this album, I think as I was warming to it, I was prognosticating how I'd eventually feel when it had all sank in.

I'm really enjoying it, I'd say it's half great and half filler. Deftones to me tend to have a lot of filler material in their albums. But the meat is there. It's just those potatoes

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Ok I think I was a little over enthusiastic with this album, I think as I was warming to it, I was prognosticating how I'd eventually feel when it had all sank in.

I'm really enjoying it, I'd say it's half great and half filler. Deftones to me tend to have a lot of filler material in their albums. But the meat is there. It's just those potatoes

Ok, you’re where I was when I first heard it then. It’s a solid, safe album.

Seems like that with a lot of bands I’ve liked for a long time now though, they don’t really progress. They know what works and don’t stray too far from it as not to alienate their fan base.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
Not every band can be (or needs to be) Mr. Bungle and put out a completely different album every time.

I agree with the consensus. Solid album and a huge step up from Gore with a couple of bangers and then a bunch of noise in the middle that just sounds like bulk-bought Deftones.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I have to say
Phantom Bride off of Gore is fantastic. When they bring someone from outside to feature on their albums, to me Deftones shines, and obviously here, no exception.
Cantrell is one of my favourite guitarists and Chino's voice over those guitar licks just works beautifully. It's something really unlike anything else.
I have felt from the time I first heard it that the title is a r efference to the AiC song Phantom Limb, and the verse guitar riff is somewhat an offspring of that song. So it seems like some kind of inside joke.

Gore will be a good album to listen to in 5 years time. It'll sound a lot better I'm sure.

Last edited: