Old black & white family photo thread

aria

Former Moderator
Yeah, he's the main figure in that crop.

Thought so from your description --good position for a group photo. I have a far less impressive story, but I totally lucked out in my class panorama in grad school; we all walked in in a big line and I ended up dead center of the entire 250ish class. Because of that I bought a copy.

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
FSLO-979105890-185266.jpg

Second row from the front, head roughly under the "S" in "AGGIES" My grandfather, Thomas G. Hunter.

well today I learned what an Aggie Muster was. Thanks for sharing.

aria

Former Moderator
Here's another burst, I've got others I'll upload later:

Several more of Brezhnev:

FT_Brezhnev_1sm.jpg

My grandmother is standing to the right of the General Secretary in this photo. I love that he always wore his Hero of the Soviet Union pin (one of three, though they retroactively removed the one he added late in life to celebrate his two other pins--which was still an exceptional number). According to my father-in-law, if you got one of those medals there were serious benefits the Soviet era (e.g. cops would pull you over and immediately apologize):
FT_Mahin_Brezhnev_1sm.jpg

There's my mom again on the right:
FT_Nima_Brezhnev_1sm.jpg

The man in the black hat is Heinrich Lübke, President of (West) Germany. His wife, Wilhelmine Lübke, is the woman closest to him on the right.
FT_Lubke_1sm.jpg

The man in the center of this photo is Charles de Gaulle, at this point the President of France (and 6'5"). His wife, Yvonne, is just behind him on the left.
FT_DeGaulle_1.jpg

This photo has, from left to right: My grandfather, Shah Mohammed Reza Pahlavi, King Fredrick IX and Ingrid of Sweden, Queen consort, of Denmark; the woman on the right edge is Queen Farah.
FT_Pahlavi_FredrickIX.jpg

My mom said Brezhnev was nice to everyone. He gave my grandfather a bear hug (how Russian!) and loved to give speeches at meals (how Russian!).

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I wanna read about Bob's pep-pep on wiki but I understand if he's reluctant to post the link.

northernsoul

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
I think these are from the late 60's, maybe early 70's-my father fighting some roof tiles. I have a bunch more of my family in 1930's to 1950's British Colonial Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore, and of my father during the Malay Emergency, but these are the only ones I have access to on my laptop. Maybe I'll scan a few later.

Found another photo, but after looking I suspect my sister may have become the keeper of the family photos. I could only find a few pics. This is one of my Grandfather (My Dad's Dad), shortly after he had been posted to Stanley in Hong Kong. He was captured in the fall of Singapore and spent WWII as a POW on the Burma railway. The picture is dated 1952.

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
I have a bunch more of my family in 1930's to 1950's British Colonial Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Singapore, and of my father during the Malay Emergency, but these are the only ones I have access to on my laptop. Maybe I'll scan a few later.

Those would be awesome (the ones you've posted so far have been too!).

aria

Former Moderator
A few others I had previously digitalized:

My dad's parents:

Reza_FakhreIran_HaEri_sm.jpg

My grandfather in the middle of his career: he rose to be a general, like his own father did. Because he grew up as an army brat, my dad learned to drive a jeep around the base at age 12, and flew via military cargo planes. His first commercial flight wasn't until he was already in his late 20s. My dad first saw Paris because he got to ride along with a military cargo plane sent to go pick up food from a famous chef for one of the Shah's lavish parties. He say other cities because the Shah sent a plane to pick up a horse.
Reza_HaEri_sm.jpg

This was my other grandfather's "poet photo" that he preferred on his books.
Fereidoon_Tavallali_01sm.jpg

[I'm sure some of you sort-of expected my family photos to look like this or this].

aria

Former Moderator
I just remembered someone in my family created family tree on Geni:

Here's my great uncle, who was a diplomat. For many years he was chargé d’affaires (2nd in command) at the Iranian Embassy in Washington; he was picked to be the Ambassador to Argentina, but as he arrived in Buenos Aires the Shah's regime fell. He retired to DC.
Djamchid_T-1.jpg

This is my great aunt. She married into the Spanish royal family and had children, but later divorced/remarried. I have an aunt who similarly married into the Portuguese royal family, but royals can be weird and she remarried.
Parvin_TF-1.jpg

Going back much further:

Here is my great-grandfather (mom's dad's dad) who was a provincial treasurer, trader, land-owner (back when that was a way of describing what you did). He died in 1957. When he was younger, they would take pictures in both traditional and modern garb (probably taken in the 1920s-30s):
Jalal_F1.jpg
Jalal_F2.jpg

On my Mom's Mom's side, here is my great-great grandfather and his children (this photo must be from the ~1910s or earlier). The man in the center is my great-great grandfather who was an aristocrat, my great grandfather is seated to the viewer's left; he became a surgeon.
Ismail_Massiollah_F.jpg

aria

Former Moderator
This is my great-great uncle, who was assassinated on order of Reza Shah, who had alas rescinded the order but, being before the age of Blackberries, the message wasn't received in time.
Untitled.jpg

It's kind of interesting, one my great aunts (not related by blood) has royal lineage that makes it easy to trace her roots. For example: I know for certain that her 15th great grandfather was this guy; her fourth great grandfather was this guy. Yet at one point in between the descendants became involved in the tea trade because their last name comes from that business.

Maury V.

Lucky Glauber's #1 Fan,
Damn, if I was back home, I would upload MANY photos from my family's side. I have a lot of history I would LOVE to share! D:

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
44893_1607167414956_3793682_n.jpg

Great Great Grandparents.

Both born in 1850, Grandfather died in 1932.

49930593_126902280802.jpg

FAR back ancestor, he was a famous revolutionay war colonel/captain defector. Was famously routed and hid in a pond after his company was tricked by revolutionaries (he was a loyalist) and has a pond named after him (the one he hid in).

After this, George Washington convinced him to defect, so he memorized the british war plans and paperwork and returned them to George Washington.

Washington defeated Cornwallis at Yorktown and much of the credit was given to John for this act. King George put a bounty of 5000 pounds on his head.

He spent the rest of the war treating soldiers on both sides. He died at 81 years old.

aria

Former Moderator
44893_1607167414956_3793682_n.jpg

Great Great Grandparents.

Both born in 1850, Grandfather died in 1932.

49930593_126902280802.jpg

FAR back ancestor, he was a famous revolutionay war colonel/captain defector. Was famously routed and hid in a pond after his company was tricked by revolutionaries (he was a loyalist) and has a pond named after him (the one he hid in).

After this, George Washington convinced him to defect, so he memorized the british war plans and paperwork and returned them to George Washington.

Washington defeated Cornwallis at Yorktown and much of the credit was given to John for this act. King George put a bounty of 5000 pounds on his head.

He spent the rest of the war treating soldiers on both sides. He died at 81 years old.

And he founded this church!

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
And he founded this church!

I'm sure it was for profit/favor. My family has a long lineage of profiteering, douchebaggery and passive-aggressive behavior.

I have the transcripts of their hearing regarding native american reparations in the late 1800s (a few generations lived in Missouri Territory and "intermingled" with the natives a bunch of times). They sound just like the douchey members of my family in both verbiage and behavior. It's amusing and shocking to realize that being a royal asshole has been passed down for 5 generations.