OnLive is the New Dreamcast

Curt

apostate
A ultra powerful cheap web centric device well ahead of it's time perhaps doomed to fail. Hell even the controller owes it's evolution to the DC's pad.

I have already made a post about OnLive, but it's really been growing on me. In fact it's one of my favorite things I own. (Note to TRY it is absolutely free, the App can be downloaded at http://www.onlive.com) the console is usually given away free during game promotions, i.e. it's free with Lord of the Rings and Arkham City.

I like it's sales better than Steam, and that's saying something.

OnLive is clearly the future, maybe not the WHOLE future but definitely a part of it.

Recently OnLive made some blockbuster deals that include titles from Activision, EA, and Bethesda.
This means we could be Seeing Battefield 3 on it running better than any Console ever could, hopefully on par with a good PC rig. (This is unconfirmed)
Other titles from those developers would include titles like Fallout 3/Vegas/Skyrim/Rage, and maybe even Modern Warfare and Crysis.

Take a look at some of the confirmed titles just announced in addition to their already very strong library.

A Game Of Thrones ('Most Likely' from Publisher)
Air Forte (Confirmed by developer)
Aliens Colonial Marines
Assassins Creed Revelations (Confirmed)
Assault Heroes 2 (Confirmed)
Atom Zombie Smasher (confirmed by developer)
Avadon: The Black Fortress (confirmed by developer)
Bastion
Batman: Arkham City (Confirmed)
Borderlands 2 (Confirmed)
Brothers in Arms: Furious Four
Bulletstorm (Confirmed)
Call of Juarez The Cartel (Confirmed)
Capsized (confirmed by developer)
Civilization V (Confirmed)
CreaVures (Confirmed by Publisher)
Darksiders 2
Dead Island (Confirmed)
Dragon Commander ('Most likely' from Developer)
Driver: San Francisco (Confirmed)
Dungeon Siege 3 (Confirmed)
F1 2011 (Confirmed)
Fallout Tactics (Confirmed)
Fallout: A Post Nuclear Role Playing Game (Confirmed)
Far Cry 3
Flotilla (Confirmed by developer)
Football Manager 2012 (Confirmed)
From Dust (Confirmed)
Ghost Recon Future Soldier
Gotham City Impostors
Guardian of Light
Happy Feet Two: The Video Game
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince (Confirmed)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 1 (Confirmed)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2 (Confirmed)
Hitman Absolution
I Am Alive
Innergy
inSANE (2013)
Inversion (Confirmed)
L.A. Noire (Mentioned by Steve Perlman)
Lego City Stories
Lego Harry Potter: Years 5–7 (Confirmed)
Limbo (Confirmed)
Lord of the Rings: War in the North (Confirmed)
Just Cause 3 (2012)
Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World (Confirmed by developer)
Metro: Last Light
Might and Magic: Heroes VI (Confirmed)
MLB 2K11 (Confirmed)
NBA 2K12 (Confirmed)
NCIS: The Video Game
Operation Flashpoint: Red River (Confirmed)
Orcs Must Die (Confirmed)
Orion: Prelude (most likely coming)
Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 (Speculative Rumor ONLY)
Red Bull X Fighters, International Freestyle Motorcross (Confirmed)
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad (Confirmed)
Renegade Ops
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (Confirmed)
Saints Row the Third (Confirmed)
Sniper: Ghost Warrior (Confirmed)
Spec Ops the Line
Splot
Steel Storm (most likely coming)
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition (Confirmed)
Swift Justice With Nancy Grace
The Adventures of Tintin: The Game
The Darkness II
The Dream Machine (most likely coming)
The Grinder
The Haunted: Hell's Reach (Confirmed)
This is Vegas (rumor of being cancelled)
The Testament of Sherlock Holmes ('Most Likely' from Publisher)
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (Confirmed)
Tomb Raider
TrackMania 2
Trine 2 (Confirmed)
Vessel (most likely coming)
Wargame: European Escalation (Confirmed)
Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine (Confirmed)
Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II – Retribution
XCOM

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
Anyone else here given it a try? Lets exchange id's
Mine is "Decimus"

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i dont understand it, does it stream your games. or do you download them to your device and then you can play them? im not too fond of it, if i got a shitty connection.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
i dont understand it, does it stream your games. or do you download them to your device and then you can play them? im not too fond of it, if i got a shitty connection.

It streams, I think you need at least a 6000Kbit connection.

I like it's sales better than Steam, and that's saying something.
Two different services offering two different things.

Last edited:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
With no original titles I fail to see how It's like the dreamcast other than, yes, this device may be ahead of its time.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
do you work for onlive?

I considered asking this earlier today, and the last time he started a thread about it. Glad someone else noticed how everything Curt has said so far about OnLive has read like an advertisement. It doesn't even sound like fanboyism. Just paid endorsement.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah, it doesn't really interest me either. Even for $50 or whatever they wanted for it last month, I really didn't see the attraction.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member

this is one of Onlive's main problems. People dont understand it.

It's definitely the future of computing. We are already seeing it with other cloud services.

You are getting full cranked up PC detail settings, and all you need is a good internet connection and a shitty computer.

Last edited:

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
The price of the games is holding me back from caring about the service. I don't want to pay nearly full retail and not own anything at the end of the day. That being said, I do understand the service and understand that it is probably the future of gaming, I just have this old fashioned need to own something.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
It's easy to feel really enthusiastic about something not many people care about and come off like an ad. I was like that about Deus Ex.

When I helped beta test on live over a year ago, I was really unimpressed but alot of that had to do with where I was using it. I was testing it on my beefy gaming pc...so it made no sense.

Recently however, I've used it to play games at work, with only my little dell vostro 1500. It's a wonderful idea, they've just gotta convince people with shitty computers to put down their xbox controller and try a pc game.

....that said, with little to no exclusive content, not actually owning any games and the unfamiliarity of such a program, I don't think it's gonna survive.

BobbyPeru

Man of Letters
It will be funny to look at this thread in ten years when no new physical consoles exist and say, "what was our problem?".

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
i'd reconsider it if it would download to the device they sell and play it offline (i'd reconsider with that option)

Curt

apostate
No, I don't work for OnLive, just a fanboy. But I would if I could, I think it's a strong company that will eventually go public and will do well.

It's not an advertisement because I'm not selling anything. Shit's free yo.

The pricing argument doesn't fly, the games are dirt cheap. With a playpak you can get new releases for $35 compared to $60. And many games go on sale for as little as $3.50. Games designed specifically for the OnLive platform are coming in 2012. (These are going to be the games with obnoxiously good graphics better than consoles)

I stand by my comparison to steam, they are both online PC game stores dealing with digital distribution (no hard copy), in fact I would bet that Steam has been looking into streaming as I've read interviews with Gabe Newell mention it positively. Also you can compare the UI's pretty fairly and again I think it's better than Steam.

And while you don't of course own a physical copy the games are yours indefinitely. It's been quoted that there is only a 0.1 chance that a game will ever be removed from onlive, and likely only due to technical/legacy issues.

My dreamcast analogy is mostly based on that it's "ahead of it's time" but also because of the general attitude/misunderstanding of the public/gamers. It was hard to convince the masses when the Dreamcast was out that it was legit and worth buying ahead of a PS2, but people that did love it really loved it. I get a similar vibe around OnLive.

Lately I've been having to game on a budget, and I enjoyed Deus Ex on it because I was able to get it cheaper, I also like ability to play portions of the game on my computer and boot it up on the big screen when I feel like it, seamlessly.

Also sorry if it came off as an ad, part of my job involves writing ALOT of copy and often having to advertise stuff so that must have rubbed off. I just think a lot of you might really enjoy it. (If you have a nice Internet Connection) and I'd like you folks on my friends list and to be able to spectate/cheer/jeer you.

I am honestly really excited about this new technology and what the future may hold.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm a bit skeptical of it but I need to get the set-top device when it's free with a game sometime for when it's eventually hacked. I'm planning on buying a big fancy TV next year so I may as well have this as a TV gadget.

One concern I have is that computer games often use a lot of finely-detailed elements (fancy HUDs with many things 1 pixel in width), using that at my TV (or PC's (lol yeah right)) non-native resolution and compressing it will make it look a bit blurry...

And as a guy who plays very precise games like beatmania, I don't have good feelings about input lag. Assume we have 25ms ping, at 60fps each frame is about 17ms, so in a best-case scenario you're looking at an input lag of about 1.5 frames inherent to the service. For some games that won't matter, but combining this lag with the idea of an upscaled lossy image and I'm getting the feeling that things like no-scoping in FPS is gonna be brutally (and artificially) hard.

fake edit: turns out onlive does support 1080p, so at least the only blur will be from compression and not from loss of 1:1 pixel mapping.

Curt

apostate
I'm a bit skeptical of it but I need to get the set-top device when it's free with a game sometime for when it's eventually hacked. I'm planning on buying a big fancy TV next year so I may as well have this as a TV gadget.

One concern I have is that computer games often use a lot of finely-detailed elements (fancy HUDs with many things 1 pixel in width), using that at my TV (or PC's (lol yeah right)) non-native resolution and compressing it will make it look a bit blurry...

And as a guy who plays very precise games like beatmania, I don't have good feelings about input lag. Assume we have 25ms ping, at 60fps each frame is about 17ms, so in a best-case scenario you're looking at an input lag of about 1.5 frames inherent to the service. For some games that won't matter, but combining this lag with the idea of an upscaled lossy image and I'm getting the feeling that things like no-scoping in FPS is gonna be brutally (and artificially) hard.

fake edit: turns out onlive does support 1080p, so at least the only blur will be from compression and not from loss of 1:1 pixel mapping.

Dan Brings up some good points. EVERYTHING gets hacked and I'm sure you could probably hack the little box and do something with it, but by it's nature it's very cheap and doesn't need to be powerful, so I'm not sure what good it would be. I think the hardware itself probably only costs a couple dollars to manufacture. As for hacking the service itself... I think thats one of the biggest reasons the service is getting such good developer support, because it's being sold as "piracy proof" and Because you never get access to the data I think this is probably true. I can conceive of people using fake credit cards and selling fake accounts (like on steam) but I think that's fairly easy to combat and is more of a Credit Card Fraud than piracy. (Also it should be noted that Mods are coming and there will be a separate subset/community built for modders and people who want to try new stuff but by their nature Mods are tricky and could jeopardize the service for everyone else if not done right.

The compression argument is absolutely key. I DO NOT like the compression artifacts found when I see them, but I think it's getting better all the time and like Dan Mentioned we will get 1080p soon, and eventually 4k and 3d (1080p x2 for each eye). The lag argument is also very valid and as good as OnLive is it's not perfect... This is where it gets cloudy (lol just realized I made a funny). Onlives Founder has said he is working on some new Technologies including a cloud based wireless standard called DIDO that could have 3 to 4 ms lag... But this seems like a way off and no ones seen this in person aside from them, but I'm inclined to believe its possible.

These things we are talking about are really the only things holding it back from being as good as a PC version run natively and of course it can't. Native Beefy PC's will always be better. OnLive is about Convenience and Value.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
No, I don't work for OnLive, just a fanboy. But I would if I could, I think it's a strong company that will eventually go public and will do well.

It's not an advertisement because I'm not selling anything. Shit's free yo.

The pricing argument doesn't fly, the games are dirt cheap. With a playpak you can get new releases for $35 compared to $60. And many games go on sale for as little as $3.50. Games designed specifically for the OnLive platform are coming in 2012. (These are going to be the games with obnoxiously good graphics better than consoles)

I stand by my comparison to steam, they are both online PC game stores dealing with digital distribution (no hard copy), in fact I would bet that Steam has been looking into streaming as I've read interviews with Gabe Newell mention it positively. Also you can compare the UI's pretty fairly and again I think it's better than Steam.

And while you don't of course own a physical copy the games are yours indefinitely. It's been quoted that there is only a 0.1 chance that a game will ever be removed from onlive, and likely only due to technical/legacy issues.

My dreamcast analogy is mostly based on that it's "ahead of it's time" but also because of the general attitude/misunderstanding of the public/gamers. It was hard to convince the masses when the Dreamcast was out that it was legit and worth buying ahead of a PS2, but people that did love it really loved it. I get a similar vibe around OnLive.

Lately I've been having to game on a budget, and I enjoyed Deus Ex on it because I was able to get it cheaper, I also like ability to play portions of the game on my computer and boot it up on the big screen when I feel like it, seamlessly.

Also sorry if it came off as an ad, part of my job involves writing ALOT of copy and often having to advertise stuff so that must have rubbed off. I just think a lot of you might really enjoy it. (If you have a nice Internet Connection) and I'd like you folks on my friends list and to be able to spectate/cheer/jeer you.

I am honestly really excited about this new technology and what the future may hold.

Fair enough. I can't really argue with that logic. Maybe if someone around here picks one up and I see it, I'll be sold on it.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I am very curious as to what the technical details are about this 4ms wireless input thing. Found this whitepaper that I'm about to read: http://www.rearden.com/DIDO/DIDO_White_Paper_110727.pdf and there's some articles if you google them. I'm really skeptical of how this would work, I'm not an expert on radio but this would have to be thinking so far outside the box that it's either a technical breakthrough that the DIDO guys were the first people to actualize (or care about), or something so lofty that they're the first people crazy enough to actually think it out loud.

Wireless is inherently laggy. Like, some (all?) satellite internet have such bad latency, you use a dialup modem for upstream, because it's actually faster transmitting packets using old shitty dialup than beaming them up to the satellite. Even something as simple as point-to-point networking with Packet Radio (which is basically a modem connected to a HAM radio) has tons of ping. If they're doing this over the cell phone networks or something then you still have a huge hop for your signal to reach the nearest tower, then the hope that the cell network's infrastructure is stable and fast enough to not add tons of time.

Sort of extreme examples, but yeah, wireless and/or distance to a server = latency.

edit: as for hacks, I'm not really interested in pirating stuff on OnLive, more like if anything cool comes from it, like being able to run XBMC, ROMZZZ, or use a browser on my TV that isn't crappy like the PS3's. But from the sound of things you say the devs are letting the community tweak it and create their own stuff for it, so who knows, if they were cool with some emulators and stuff getting ported I might not need to hack it.

Last edited:

Curt

apostate
I am very curious as to what the technical details are about this 4ms wireless input thing. Found this whitepaper that I'm about to read: http://www.rearden.com/DIDO/DIDO_White_Paper_110727.pdf and there's some articles if you google them. I'm really skeptical of how this would work, I'm not an expert on radio but this would have to be thinking so far outside the box that it's either a technical breakthrough that the DIDO guys were the first people to actualize (or care about), or something so lofty that they're the first people crazy enough to actually think it out loud.

Wireless is inherently laggy. Like, some (all?) satellite internet have such bad latency, you use a dialup modem for upstream, because it's actually faster than transmitting packets using old shitty dialup than beaming them up to the satellite. Even something as simple as point-to-point networking with Packet Radio (which is basically a modem connected to a HAM radio) has tons of ping. If they're doing this over the cell phone networks or something then you still have a huge hop for your signal to reach the nearest tower, then the hope that the cell network's infrastructure is stable and fast enough to not add tons of time.

Sort of extreme examples, but yeah, wireless and/or distance to a server = latency.

Ahh I'm glad you brought this up. I spent a few hours pouring over this and doing some research of my own about the Electromagnetic Spectrum/RF transmissions etc. And it was really fascinating, but there are a few very big holes. One of them is the service is based on "DIDO Data Centers" but it's all very vague and they never really tell us what's going on in those data centers. It's about getting the Signals to be broadcast on their own individual channels at full bandwidth... Again very foggy, but sounds nice. I am skeptical as well, and this is one of the big criticisms I like the founder the guy is legit, he helped design the Macintosh, Quicktime, WebTV and won an Oscar for Brad Pitts face in Benjamin Button.

The biggest criticism I have seen is that it claims to break a spectrum capacity barrier called "Shannons Law," And I think this is fair. As I see it it really just avoids the law and works around it, it doesn't really break it. So I think that could be slightly misleading.

And again Dan brings up another good point, that no matter what there must always be latency.

Another fair criticism is that the 3 to 4 ms claim is that it doesn't really address how the servers themselves are acknowledging the input data, generating it's own data, and shooting it back to you so quickly. So that's another thing I'd be skeptical about. DIDO is not legit yet, but the OnLive service is so I'm inclined to be optimistic.

Last edited:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Another fair criticism is that the 3 to 4 ms claim is that it doesn't really address how the servers themselves are acknowledging the input data, generating it's own data, and shooting it back to you so quickly. So that's another thing I'd be skeptical about. DIDO is not legit yet, but the OnLive service is so I'm inclined to be optimistic.
I just assumed DIDO would be strictly upstream actually. The problem of the servers pushing your data into the games and having the feed come back to you, I was assuming that'd be the same. There's a lot of enthusiasm in this whitepaper and I'm only a few pages in, let's see what I think after the meat and potatoes...

OK wow this only sounds like it would work if there's no interference. Basically multiple access points would constructively interfere with each other to where the net result is a clean signal that your computer can use very quickly. But if something dirties the signal or makes it otherwise imperfect, you will have to lower the bitrate or employ error correction, each of which will reduce throughput. That or these will all be very short range. In any case this will still use a traditional network infrastructure with just a different way of making the first hop into the internet (DIDO AP versis Wifi AP).

Plus wireless signals have inherent latency based on distance, unless these DIDO APs know exactly where they are (at least relative to each other) then the signals that constructively interfere will be out of phase, making this either less-than-ideal or pointless. With so much dependence on the other APs, I wonder if they do some simple triangulation to map themselves out periodically. If this is done once per hour for example and someone moves their AP, you have a phase shift that they won't account for until they poll each other again. And what if a user turns one off? I guess there can be constant feedback between the clients and the APs regarding signal quality and then they leave the APs to sort out how to correct the signal if there's a change. Still sounds really messy.

And this says nothing about how lag... I still have a bit more to go. This is all really lofty so far and even if you have absolutely 0ms of latency with your device (OnLive in this case) reaching the AP, you still have to traverse the internet to reach the server like everything else. I'm kinda pissed off I've worked myself up about this hahaha... well just a few more pages now.

EDIT: So my final say having read to the end of this. None of what they're saying is incorrect but it's very optimistic. It could work but it would be enormously complex to implement reliably. I could elaborate but I don't want to make this about DIDO.

Though I take issue with them talking about transmitting data to rural/faraway users by bouncing beams off the ionosphere, YES this is a very well-understood concept in radio and is used by radio operators and the like (you can even carefully aim an antenna to bounce a signal off the moon or a satellite) but these are purpose-built (sometimes) and precisely-aimed powerful antennas and equipment that basically make do with a sporadic naturally-occurring phenomenon.. a guy in Texas with a HAM radio could possibly skip all the way to New York where he'd otherwise be limited to talking to others in his town, BUT The key difference is, he's not TRYING to reach New York in most cases, he's just trying to reach somewhere different than usual. You could compensate and align things and stuff but I can't see how you could really control where the signal eventually propagates after a skip reliably enough to work as someone's internet (unless, like the Texan being so happy he reached the novelty Yankee, the users are OK with having internet whenever The Earth feels like letting them have it).

Even say you have a stationary antenna pointed at the ionosphere, the nature of, well nature, means that you're not going to get 100% the same results every time you beam up into the ionosphere as to where your signal will land and how pure it is, it's susceptible to interference by the sun (different signals bounce differently depending on time of day, and sunspots can affect how the sun affects bounce day-to-day) and other radio signals... this is extremely idealistic and yes it CAN work but to make it work reliably as someone's link to the internet would be very complex and hard to solve. Like maybe they could have an array of few antennas that work on different frequencies during different times of the day that are precisely-aimed, and there's knowledge of sunspot data within the system that gets compensated for (then again if that data's found to be wrong and you lose your link somehow then what happens).... ughhhh I almost wish they left this part out, it's giving me a headache to think about.

OK SO my main point is this, I don't see how DIDO will reduce latency significantly, since it is only changing one link of a very long chain to (and from) a server. The rest of the internet is left untouched, and that's where the bulk of your latency comes from. If you have WiFi and are connected to a faraway server, your ping could be something like 500 total, but the WiFi only comprises, let's say, 10ms of that (5ms up and 5ms down), you still have the 490ms of latency that it takes for your data to reach the server and for the server to push the data back to you across the whole nodes of the internet backbone that connects you two.

And anyway this whole lag-reduction (not elimination, reduction, and not by much...) is only possible if DIDO becomes a real thing and becomes very widely adopted and implemented as the whitepaper says it needs to be. This is like someone saying that they have a solution for traffic congestion: that we'll have flying cars some day.

The mention of OnLiive really pisses me off at the end, unless there's a straight line where the links to and from On-Live are User -> DIDO AP -> DIDO Data Center -> OnLive Server with extremely long (hundreds of mile long) ethernet cables (let's not get into why THAT can't work) then this won't help it. It pisses me off most of all because this isn't something that will help OnLive specifically, why did they even mention it? There's tons of applications out there that need low latency to work best (and ideally everything would have it anyway) SO THIS ISN'T EVEN ABOUT ONLIVE. They just singled it out as an example.

Well OK they do say that OnLive could be colocated with a DIDO data center, still unless there are tons and tons of data centers within a short distance of the clients (think about as widespread as DSL DSLAM units) you're still gonna have to hop around the internet to get to the DIDO data center in the first place. Even if we assume there are local distribution centers for the Data Centers ala DSLAMs, and then DIDO is basically your ISP, you would need to roll out a shitload of DIDO and a shitload of OnLive in the same place to make this practical. Even going within an ISP's link to another one of its nodes to reach OnLive isn't gonna work, this is where we reach the whole "hop around the internet" issue that causes latency in the first place.

I need to go relax, I think this raised my blood pressure lol. Shit, I never get to use this knowledge and look where it gets me...

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
conceptually i love it.

i dont like the lack of built in wifi (no tvs anywhere near my router/modem- yes i saw the bridging options)
i dont like not having the games. i have to agree with bobbyperu here- the game prices, even with the playpack discount, seem a bit steep. also im something of a media whore- i like physical copies of games/movies/music.
lastly- while this is a tremendous first step towards cloud computing/gaming, i dont think this will last, then i will lose all money i have put into it. Unlike my mvs/nes/2600/snes/genesis/dreamcast (hell, even my pippin), i will not be able to go back and play this old system when it is obsolete.

i like it- i just dont think we are ready for it.

Curt

apostate
I've gone over Dan's analysis of the DIDO paper and I generally agree with him, and he knows more about Engineering than me.
DIDO is a nice concept and worth patenting, and I can see it being used in Limited case scenarios (Ie A University/Small Town) but to become a legitimate alternative to Cell/Wifi etc, I think that is a REAL stretch.
As I understand it part of what the system needs is a large amount of Intelligent Redundancy to avoid noise/dropped signals so that will add a lot of cost to the infrastructure and likely Latency just because of that.
The Ionosphere part was one of my favorite bits, and is pretty key. It sounds like they may have some tricks up their sleeves to deal with some of the things you were mentioning though, but only to a certain amount.
I don't think you should be mad that OnLive was mentioned, they're both his babies and I think it's in his best interest to tie them together if possible.
The DIDO WhitePaper undoubtedly has problems and there is a lot to be addressed, and it's detracting from the other product which I think is pretty good. OnLive.
Not worth getting riled up imho, but these "Cloudy" ideas are a fun mental exercise and my brain likes to think the big thoughts/dream from time to time.

Last edited:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
I remember thinking how cool it was that I was using my Dreamcast to check out picpost.com

Maybe OnLive will recreate a similar experience for me

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
it just now hit me that one of the latest online technologies out there is google music. that's the closest i can think of to compare onlive service.

the only thing i would like, like i said is maybe some local installs to run the game faster, im big into fighting games, and just like street fighter and some capcom games do installs on consoles to run faster, this could be a viable option to run faster, sure you wont have the game, but youll have data saved to run your game faster.

Curt

apostate
I think the DREAM would be for OnLive and Steam to Partner up on some titles. Maybe not the entire library, but say you Buy "Deus Ex" on Steam, you can install it and run it locally, run it on Onlive anywhere, play it on your computer, Play it on your tablet, and put it on the big screen. That would be awesome.