Opinion on a new project - AES PCBs

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Hello,

I am considering adding some new videogame items to sell from my website GamingEnterprisesInc.com

I would like to create an AES cartridge pcb and plastic cartridge case. This would just be a bare PCB, that you would have to put your own memory chips on. The reasoning for this would be:

1) If homebrew developers wanted to release a new game, they could buy the raw materials new, and not have to destroy existing AES cartridges.
2) If people wanted to perform conversions, they could buy the raw materials new, and not have to destroy existing AES cartridges.

Anyone think this would be a good idea? bad idea? Is there already a company that offers these items?

Obviously, if I do this, pricing would be key. I will have to look into how cheaply this could be done.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
gameofyou said:
Hello,

I am considering adding some new videogame items to sell from my website GamingEnterprisesInc.com

I would like to create an AES cartridge pcb and plastic cartridge case. This would just be a bare PCB, that you would have to put your own memory chips on. The reasoning for this would be:

1) If homebrew developers wanted to release a new game, they could buy the raw materials new, and not have to destroy existing AES cartridges.
2) If people wanted to perform conversions, they could buy the raw materials new, and not have to destroy existing AES cartridges.

Anyone think this would be a good idea? bad idea? Is there already a company that offers these items?

Obviously, if I do this, pricing would be key. I will have to look into how cheaply this could be done.

Wow welcome to 1991. jk But I really dont think there is a demand for it anymore. I think if you offered this a couple months ago Last Hope could have been around $200 for the AES version instead of me having to sell my finger.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
If you could? Man that would be radzors. Presumably plain, yes? I mean, no SNK branding in the plastic, that could still get you in deep shit technically, could it not?

Any way, hope you carry through with this project, seems like a great one to me :mr_t:

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Xian Xi said:
Wow welcome to 1991.

LOL. ALL of my projects are retro. The Sega Saturn device was only designed about 6 months ago. Long live the 90's, I say !!

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
I'd buy a few to mess with. Making games has always been a side hobby of mine. And nothing would be more fun than playing a homebrew game on the neo if it were that easy to get it into cart format. I mean sure i could code the games and then play them on pc via emu but that just doesn't seem as fun. I think i'd start with a game similar to geometry wars for the 360, thats a game that feels like it was meant to be played on a neo(cept for the dual control sticks, i think you could get away with 1 stick and a fire button though) anyhow, seems like something fun to mess with. If you make it, i'd buy a few.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
gameofyou said:
LOL. ALL of my projects are retro. The Sega Saturn device was only designed about 6 months ago. Long live the 90's, I say !!

It's still cool though. Let us know how mcuh the boards would run and stuff.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
i would be interested in a few blanks but for mvs

id be interested in a flash device also for mvs also

Last edited:

Amano Jacu

Charles Barkley
Xian Xi said:
Wow welcome to 1991. jk But I really dont think there is a demand for it anymore. I think if you offered this a couple months ago Last Hope could have been around $200 for the AES version instead of me having to sell my finger.

I think there's still a lot of demand for conversion of official games. If these boards are cheaper than original AES games, everybody will use them for conversions.

Jonathan

"Corky"
When in doubt, use molds to cast the cart shells by making a cast impression of an AES cart then use plastic to cast the shape of the cart.

JMKurtz

Tech Support Moderator,
20 Year Member
I'm not going to say that it can't be done since bootleggers do it, but you'll need to come up with a solution for the custom SNK chips that are on the boards.

Jeff

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
yep, its not just as easy as having a 'blank' cart, then filling it with the romsets of your choice.

nice idea, badly thought out

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
really. make sure it has nothing to do with snk, Alot of people here get really pissed off when they get boots, and this can lead to bootlegging. You should make them a clear cart that says in the plastic like homebrew cart, or eve your company name so that you can make friends.

-idosk8

xmods (jwm2)

Dodgeball Yakuza
Personally i would be interested in an MVS version as i'm getting rid of my AES console in the next week or 2. But hey thats up to you.

soulthug

Wannabe Thug,, born 1991
15 Year Member
Side note: More people would be interested in repro snaplocks :tickled:

gameofyou

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
Thanks

Thanks everyone for your feedback/ideas.

It seems like this would not be the best project to proceed on right now.

If I ever do take this project on, I will take everyone's advice into consideration. There would be no SNK markings of any kind. The cart shells would be a different color (white, maybe or gold).

regarding the custom ICs: I believe that the Last Hope designers created their own pcbs for their game, so at least for homebrew work, I would think that a standard pcb could be made.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hello gameofyou. Are you the same as gameofyou on ebay? If so, you sold me a SS Batsugun listed as mint that arrived with a tiny rip on the back of the manual. Otherwise it was pretty minty. Nothing too bad, but not what I paid for.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
gameofyou said:
Thanks everyone for your feedback/ideas.

It seems like this would not be the best project to proceed on right now.

If I ever do take this project on, I will take everyone's advice into consideration. There would be no SNK markings of any kind. The cart shells would be a different color (white, maybe or gold).

regarding the custom ICs: I believe that the Last Hope designers created their own pcbs for their game, so at least for homebrew work, I would think that a standard pcb could be made.

the last hope designers got carts from each buyer to modify. aka riped the old ics off and added new

first get working homemade carts then worry about cart colors. dont let the "i have to collect the twist tie purists" push you to some funky cart color.

Last edited: