Opinions and Feedback on Samsung Smart TV

LordCollector

New Challenger
I'm thinking of getting one and just wanted to hear from anyone who has one or has used one enough to give feedback on it. I have been watching youtube vids on it and saw a demo on display at Virgin Megastore. I just want to hear from people if it's any good or if there are some major problems/flaws so I don't make a mistake after the fact. Let me know what you think :)

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I have one. I also have a samsung bluray / surround sound system. I can use the blu ray remote on the tv and it has a dozen or so recipes and games in the menu. It is smarter than my sony pvm.

LordCollector

New Challenger
I have one. I also have a samsung bluray / surround sound system. I can use the blu ray remote on the tv and it has a dozen or so recipes and games in the menu. It is smarter than my sony pvm.

So I take it you're happy with it. Cool.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I have one.

it's slow but it works fine.

We use the following apps:

Netflix - no problems
HBO Go - occasionally it forgets the credentials and you have to sign in again (might not be the TV's fault).
Pandora - no problems
Video Player from USB - no problems but won't play some files like mkv which is to be expected... AVI and mp4 work fine
Party Shots - this is actually pretty cool. fire up the app on your TV and people can download the app on their phone. then when people take pictures using the app it will display on the TV as a slideshow.
shoutcast radio - this doesn't work so well... we listen to the soma fm Illinois St Lounge (bachelor pad music) and it continually restarts and locks up

Now, there are a TON of really shitty filler apps and games that absolutely suck... it's almost like they just created them as filler to make it look like they had a wide range of apps to use.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I have one, but it doesn't pick up WiFi very well and seems slow when it is connected. That said, we don't really use the features of the smart TV and mainly rely on the PS3 for things like Netflix and playing movies the old fashioned way.

Edit: I just saw Video Player from USB listed as a smart TV feature in Adderall's post. I'll agree that this feature works very well and even plays some files the PS3 can't. It's good for viewing pictures, as well, but this works a little more slowly than video files for some reason.

Last edited:

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
I have a Panasonic BluRay player that does all my streaming - It works fine and I'd rather not invest the extra money in the TV and have the hardware be shit in a year or lack of support down the road. Which trust me, will happen with Samsung.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I have a Panasonic BluRay player that does all my streaming - It works fine and I'd rather not invest the extra money in the TV and have the hardware be shit in a year or lack of support down the road. Which trust me, will happen with Samsung.

Pretty much all this, i used all the features the first few weeks i had it and then haven't since. The tv itself is good though.

If i were you, just buy the biggest, cheapest tv that looks good. Don't get too caught up with comparing them side by side in the shop. Once you get it home there is nothing to compare it to anyway.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
buy a TV for the TV. Apps on a TV will be nothing but trouble.

a Roku, Apple TV, Boxee, or any set top box is about $100.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I have a Samsung dumb plasma, the Tv is awesome but I skipped the smart stuff since the ps3 works better anyway.

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I've got a Samsung 46-inch Smart TV that was purchased last year, but like many others here, I just use it for the TV part. I messed around with the Apps a little bit when I was first setting it up, but I mostly either just use the 360, PS3 or hook up my tower if I want to do something more comprehensive than watch a show or play a game.

I've also got a 23-inch Samsung LCD from years back (720p, purchased back in 2006 I think?) that I have never had an issue with. I've used it extensively for gaming, used it as a monitor, dragged to MGC years back-to-back and lent it out to friends for about 2-3 years total with nary a problem.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
A lot of people I know, IRL, have been very positive about the Samsung large screen tvs. I think it's the brightness they are interested in.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
A lot of people I know, IRL, have been very positive about the Samsung large screen tvs. I think it's the brightness they are interested in.

this.

I know I posted about the apps but we didn't even consider using the smart features when we bought it.... we made the purchase solely on how the display looked.

Also, I prefer using the TV apps because I don't have to fuck around with an additional remote (or game controller)

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
I've got a 40" Smart, looked a bit flimsy at first but it's held up well with frequent use. My only complaint would be some of the back inputs aren't spacious enough for some of the cords I've had to use.

It's a pain instore to check out the TVs when they're all playing movies with the Motion Flow on. :(