Opinions required on a few carts

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
Hey guys, I'm a little over half way through checking my carts and I've got a couple that have me concerned...

The first one I'm pretty sure is an obvious boot, but I'd like to be sure before I go after the seller (ebay)...

IMAG0577_zps3de5b136.jpg

Aero Fighers 2 - the chips don't match mvs scans, but it seems the numbers and the layout all do? Either way I'm betting its a boot :(

IMAG0576_zps316f869e.jpg

Top Players Golf - all the chips look like legit chips, but it doesn't quite match anything on mvs scans... i appear to have all toshiba chips where the scans have a mixture

IMAG0575_zps8d42dc58.jpg

Magical Drop 2 - once again the brand of the chips seems to throw me

IMAG0563_zps24675f73.jpg

KoF 99 - repair?

IMAG0562_zps4e5991be.jpg

KoF 98 - repair?

IMAG0552_zps038a2f1a.jpg

Art of Fighting 3 - i was thinking this one might be a repair?

Thats it so far... more to come I'm sure. Any help appreciated :D

genetik

Mr. Big's Thug
They all look legit. Even the Aero Fighters 2. It's not because the markings on the chips is a tad different from the one on MVS Scans that it means it's a boot. The combination of windowed chips, irregular or wildly different board and bad solder jobs usually indicates that it's a boot. SNK didn't always use the exact same looking chips. Just by looking at MVS Scans, you will see that sets for the same game do vary a lot from one another. KOF 99 looks like the repair set, but the other 2 are just using different chips and are not repaired.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
All those carts are real. Like I've said before, looks for patterns of a real cart, not a 1:1 match of what's posted on mvs scans. Use it as a guide but no gospel. Mask roms with the ngh numbers stamped on them are one of the patterns. SNK has gone through many chip manufacturers and board layouts. Silkscreen labels and specific boards they used were what was available at time of manufacture. Just because your particular variation isn't posted on the site doesn't mean it's a boot. It has most variants but not everything. I have several games that are legit but don't match any of the uploads. It just means that nobody has yet taken the time to upload it to the scans site yet.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
thanks guys, still relatively new to this so still learning what to look for... the AF2 cart really did have me worried as those chips seem quite different, but the layout, cart and label all appear to be good...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im just curious if someone would ever bootleg tpg?

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
im just curious if someone would ever bootleg tpg?

lol you've got a good point... if you're also trying to ask "why would you buy it"... well... i'm an idiot... and it was relatively cheap... so theres that... :P

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
All boards look legit.

You can PM Ack if you like.

Ask him if he'd like some boards scans.

See if your specimens are worthy.

KRiSX

King's Dry Cleaner
so this one i bought pretty much knowing its a boot... was pretty cheap... its League Bowling... looks like the right boards but the windowed chips all over the place would say its not... plus its missing the in/out ports

IMAG0590_zps51cab9ee.jpg

confirmed?