Overall computer issues...

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I just updated the CPU from an E7200 duo core to a Q8300 quad core...I don't really game on this computer, it's mainly for general use (internet, mainly).

Everything's up and running fine. I ran CPU-Z and it detects the Q8300 is in there. But, running the system info in Windows 10 still shows the E7200 still installed. CCleaner also shows that the E7200 is in there.

Even the device manager shows the E7200 as the processor, but in two instances (shows it twice under the processor tab).

Any way to update this info in Win 10?

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
Does windows 10 still have that thingie MS put on WinVista and 7 to test the "windows experience"? it used to be on the PC properties page, but since MS moves everything around every new version it might be anywhere now.

supersega

Mr. Big's Thug
Have you tried resetting the CMOS? Stupid question, I know, but its worth a shot.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It may be that win10 uses the CPU as part of its registration process. Its possible you may need to reactivate the OS for it to be updated.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Does windows 10 still have that thingie MS put on WinVista and 7 to test the "windows experience"?

I am fairly certain that Microsoft ditched this in Windows 10.

It may be that win10 uses the CPU as part of its registration process. Its possible you may need to reactivate the OS for it to be updated.

I think this is right as I had to re-certify after some hardware updates too.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
CPU doesn't count as a vote for activation. It can be changed. If you have to reactivate, it is likely due to a combination of other things.

When you changed the CPU, your board should have prompted you to enter the BIOS on the first boot. Go into the BIOS and verify the CPU shows correctly there. If in Windows, it still shows up wrong in Device Manager, download the latest Chipset driver for your board. In Device Manager, right-click on each shown under Processors and click Uninstall. Then install the chipset driver, then restart. See if it then shows the correct proc.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
That whole Windows Experience thing is still there in Win 10, but there's some cmd stuff you need to do.

The BIOS did report the Q8300 just fine.

What I ended up doing was just updating Windows 10 and it just magically corrected itself. It's just annoying that it didn't update itself when I first booted the computer with the new processor in.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Alright, so after everything was said and done, now the computer will randomly error out and give me the following error:

Drive 0 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-0 Alert!
Failed to detect one or more during POST. Strike F1 key to continue. F2 key to run the setup utlility, or press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.
It's happens almost every other day now. Powering cycling the computer loads up Win 10 fine. I just ran chkdsk and I get no errors.

Before the error comes up, Windows gives me a screen that pretty much says that there's an error and it's gonna restart to fix it.

I've already tried reseating the SATA cables on the drives and on the board. I still need to get a duster all up in there to clean up even further.

Other than scrapping this computer (Optiplex 330 that I've upgraded over time...free from my wife's office), anything can be done at this point to stop this error?

Tech&Music

Another Striker
If cleaning the SATA ports and changing the SATA cables doesn't fix that issue, there's a few things that could be the case.

One is a bad HDD. A wonky controller board doesn't always show up until it is too late. If you can get another SSD or HDD to test with, that could help ruling it out.

Other than that, there could be a loose connector. Gently push against the SATA connectors on the board and HDD. If it gives, then it's broken. On the HDD that means you would need to replace it (you could replace the controller PCB if you need to get data off of it and it won't work at all), but if it's the motherboard, well, game over. Sure, you could get a replacement motherboard, but it would have to be the exact motherboard for the Optiplex 330 or compatibles, as they aren't standard mobos. And at this point you might as well get something different.

If nothing of this is the case, then the SATA controller on the mobo might be going bad, which can give the impression of a bad HDD. My dad's dead Toshiba laptop had a dying SATA controller, which had me believe the HDD died. Well, I've should have tested that drive, because the replacement SSD I got did nothing either. Ended up trashing it and getting a better laptop. And if this is the case, then again, it's the motherboard and the same goes for what I've mentioned before this.

Though if you could borrow a computer or have a second system around somewhere that you could use to test the HDD and see if that computer throws any similar errors, that would be great. If you can, and you find out it doesn't throw any of the errors that the Optiplex does, then it confirms it is the Optiplex at fault. Same for if you have a second SATA HDD/SSD which you can throw an installation of Windows 10 on to see if that triggers the SATA error on boot up. No error means there's something wrong with the other HDD. Same SATA error and it means there's something wrong with the Optiplex.

Last edited:

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
It is not the HDD, it is not the cable or the motherboard, its the stupid Windows 10, I have had that same Sata error problem on a few PCs, how I fixed it? reinstalled Windows.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
It is not the HDD, it is not the cable or the motherboard, its the stupid Windows 10, I have had that same Sata error problem on a few PCs, how I fixed it? reinstalled Windows.

That's not how computers work. Keep your old wives tales out of tech threads.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I'm gonna eliminate the bad HDD theory first. When I have time, I'm gonna use the stock HDD from my PS3 and load windows 10 on that first. If it's a constant "no drive" thing with that HDD, I might go back down to Windows 7.

I already let my wife know that if there's another queue to get another office computer, put us on it.

New thing happening, too. Just installed a new(ish) video card, and now audio and video stutter/get choppy while watching YouTube vids in HD at 60fps. Happens using Flash and HTML5 with Chrome. Using Edge, I get zero stutter; all 1080p 60fps videos play perfect. I've already scoured the internet and nothing seems to work. I really don't want to end up using Edge. Any ideas on what to do?

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
blablabla....just google it Mr. Engineer, theres not solution for this but to reinstall windows.

Uninformed and tech shitposts are not what an answer is. I've already read many posts of people claiming that Windows 10 has corrupted/deleted their BIOS or made it so HDDs aren't detected anymore. Most people go about a workaround route and no actual PoC or replication work is done. In the technical field you cannot rely on reports of non-technical people.

Tech&Music

Another Striker

Windows isn't initiated until after the BIOS POST. The SATA error is independent of Windows. Unless it indicates it cannot find an operating system, which isn't case here, it's not Windows, it's any of the things I mentioned earlier.

chinitosoccer

Camel Slug
Windows isn't initiated until after the BIOS POST. The SATA error is independent of Windows. Unless it indicates it cannot find an operating system, which isn't case here, it's not Windows, it's any of the things I mentioned earlier.

OP never said that it crashes before Windows boots up.

I have had this same problem and it started after I swapped the Sata cables in the motherboard, Windows was running just fine before that.

Last edited:

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,

I have had this same problem and it started after I swapped the Sata cables in the motherboard, Windows was running just fine before that.

There was really no need for OP saying that, the error itself is a classic BIOS error:

Drive 0 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-0 Alert!
Failed to detect one or more during POST. Strike F1 key to continue. F2 key to run the setup utlility, or press F5 to run onboard diagnostics.

The key (for me) is the "Press F5 to run onboard diagnostics". I have never seen any Windows giving the option to run that, only BIOSes do that.

Tech&Music

Another Striker

Are you being serious? The error given is clearly a BIOS error, not a Windows error. Since when did we have to hit F keys to respond to an error message? I thought that was perfectly clear, but I guess not for you? Perhaps computers are simply not your strongest point?

EDIT: Does this look like a Windows 10 error message to you?
30arg4y.jpg

Last edited:

supersega

Mr. Big's Thug
Are you being serious? The error given is clearly a BIOS error, not a Windows error. Since when did we have to hit F keys to respond to an error message? I thought that was perfectly clear, but I guess not for you? Perhaps computers are simply not your strongest point?

EDIT: Does this look like a Windows 10 error message to you?
View attachment 36536

That is way not Windows 10. Either the SATA controller is dead or you need to grab another SATA cable. I've got a few (maybe 20, haven't counted in a while) if the OP needs one.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
That is way not Windows 10. Either the SATA controller is dead or you need to grab another SATA cable. I've got a few (maybe 20, haven't counted in a while) if the OP needs one.

I have a shit ton of them somewhere. I have stuff set out in case it errors out again. I'll start with a new SATA cable.

I'm not sure if it's the SATA controller on the board. When I hit F2 right at the error screen, it brings me to the BIOS. In the BIOS screen, it shows all the drives connected to the controller except for my main HDD (OS installed on it). That's leading me to believe that either the cable is bad or the HDD is on it's way out (it was an office computer, after all).

Guys, there's no need to argue. I'm taking all the help in this thread to heart and I really appreciate it all.

[EDIT] Dunno what happened, but I guess that I attached a pic of Win 10's BSOD. I'm never at my computer when it happens, but if it does do that, the screen flashes quickly so I don't know what error to search the webs for.

Attachments

• How-to-Fix-Windows-8-Blue-Screen-of-Death-Errors.jpg
    How-to-Fix-Windows-8-Blue-Screen-of-Death-Errors.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

supersega

Mr. Big's Thug
I have a shit ton of them somewhere. I have stuff set out in case it errors out again. I'll start with a new SATA cable.

I'm not sure if it's the SATA controller on the board. When I hit F2 right at the error screen, it brings me to the BIOS. In the BIOS screen, it shows all the drives connected to the controller except for my main HDD (OS installed on it). That's leading me to believe that either the cable is bad or the HDD is on it's way out (it was an office computer, after all).

Guys, there's no need to argue. I'm taking all the help in this thread to heart and I really appreciate it all.

[EDIT] Dunno what happened, but I guess that I attached a pic of Win 10's BSOD. I'm never at my computer when it happens, but if it does do that, the screen flashes quickly so I don't know what error to search the webs for.

That means the graphics card drivers are screwy. Will it boot in safe mode?

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Graphics card is fine. I just replaced it and updated the drivers.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
In that case, I guess either your SATA cable's fucked over or the controller is. Do you have an SATA PCI card handy?

I don't have a SATA card handy. Still though, would the controller not detect all the drives if it was bad?

supersega

Mr. Big's Thug
I don't have a SATA card handy. Still though, would the controller not detect all the drives if it was bad?

Depends. Another idea that just popped into my head, try another SATA port. If that doesn't work, the RAID or something in the BIOS might be fucked up. I know that was a huge deal in the IDE days, but SATAs a little more versatile with that stuff.