Overclocking Genesis 3

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Hello all.

Appologies in advance for the non-neo related topic. :drool:

I have been scouring the net for any info on overclocking the (Majesco) Sega Genesis 3, with no success.
I have found several places that tell you how to overclock the original Genesis/Megadrive but none that tell you how to do the Genesis 2 or 3.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Is it even possible?

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Not possible unfortunately. Unlike he Genesis 1 and 2, the Genesis 3's 68000 CPU is integrated into one large IC with all of the other components.

If you overclocked that IC, you would be overclocking everything as well which wouldn't be good.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
68HC000 said:
Not possible unfortunately. Unlike he Genesis 1 and 2, the Genesis 3's 68000 CPU is integrated into one large IC with all of the other components.

If you overclocked that IC, you would be overclocking everything as well which wouldn't be good.

Ahh.. Much like trying to overclock the Mini SNES.
I should have known. :)

Thanks for the reply, mate.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
While we're at it...

You wouldn't happen to know of any Stereo mods for the Genesis 3, would you?
I understand that certain boards only output mono.

Not sure which one mine is, it's the one with the big IC mounted diagonally on the mobo.

20 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:
Ahh.. Much like trying to overclock the Mini SNES.
I should have known. :)

Thanks for the reply, mate.

Yep same deal.

The Genesis 2 is possible though.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Curse the idea of consolidated ICs. :mad:

Any idea on t3h 5t3rE0?
I hope that can be done (if I need to) (I don't actually know if my board is mono or not).

*I like the weird, drifting body sig, by the way :tickled:

20 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:
Curse the idea of consolidated ICs. :mad:

Any idea on t3h 5t3rE0?
I hope that can be done (if I need to) (I don't actually know if my board is mono or not).

*I like the weird, drifting body sig, by the way :tickled:

It should have stereo out on the AV jack. I assume you're still referring to the model 3.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
68HC000 said:
It should have stereo out on the AV jack. I assume you're still referring to the model 3.

Is the model 3 the one that doesn't have the diagonally mounted IC on the mobo?? ......??

I'm getting a little lost.... haha! :drool:

20 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:
Is the model 3 the one that doesn't have the diagonally mounted IC on the mobo?? ......??

I'm getting a little lost.... haha! :drool:

The model 3 has the diagonally mounted large IC that houses the 68K, VDP, GLU, VRAM, Z80, and YM2612.

20 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:
And that one is stereo?

Yep.

The model 1 is the only one that does not have stereo accessible through the AV jack.

SegaGenesis1.jpg

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Aha!
Nope, we're not on the same page. :loco:

I'm talking about different board revisions of the Genesis 3.
As far as I know: there are 2 variants of the Genesis 3, one of which does not provide stereo sound from the AV out.

20 Year Member
Gummy Bear said:
Aha!
Nope, we're not on the same page. :loco:

I'm talking about different board revisions of the Genesis 3.
As far as I know: there are 2 variants of the Genesis 3, one of which does not provide stereo sound from the AV out.

In that case, if there's a headphone jack, then you can get stereo from that. I've never owned a Genesis 3 so i'm not too familiar with it.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
68HC000 said:
In that case, if there's a headphone jack, then you can get stereo from that. I've never owned a Genesis 3 so i'm not too familiar with it.

Nope, no heaphone jack.

Ah well...
Thanks for trying, mate. :)

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
The 2 Genesis 3 decks I owned only outputted mono from the av port. It might be possible to mod it for stereo however. You never know.

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Monolith said:
The 2 Genesis 3 decks I owned only outputted mono from the av port. It might be possible to mod it for stereo however. You never know.

Agreed.

Oh well.... the search continues. :confused:

Drewmantrivia

Crazed MVS Addict
My genesis 3 was the stereo out version. The AV port was damaged so i had to remove the whole thing and add jacks to the back of the system. I just tapped off of the pin holes to make my connections. I think that Segasonicfan might have found where on the board to tap off for stereo sound. He might have posted it over on the gamesx.com. Take a look there and see if it pops up.

Yup found his link.http://nfggames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2070&hl=

Last edited:

Gummy Bear

Windjammers Wonder
Drewmantrivia said:
My genesis 3 was the stereo out version. The AV port was damaged so i had to remove the whole thing and add jacks to the back of the system. I just tapped off of the pin holes to make my connections. I think that Segasonicfan might have found where on the board to tap off for stereo sound. He might have posted it over on the gamesx.com. Take a look there and see if it pops up.

Yup found his link.http://nfggames.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2070&hl=

Excellent find!

Thanks a lot, mate. :tickled:

20 Year Member
I've always prefered the Genesis 1 for it's superior audio and video clarity.

Also, it's overclockability :).

Monolith

Pleasure Goal
What would be cool is if someone would do a post with the S-video and stereo mods available for Genesis 1-3,along with complete pictures,not schematics, as some people are not used to reading those. I know alot of people who cant read them,they don't understand the symbols but if they can see what is done in a pic,like what resistor or cap goes where,they can do the work fine.