Overrated or well damn deserving: Devil May Cry (The original)

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Well I FINALLY got around to playing this game. I really wanted to like this game, I really did. This game could have been one of the greatest games ever IMO except for 1 small problem, 1 medium problem and 1 big-ass problem:

SMALL
Capcom always seems to have a hard-on for recycling stuff, even more so than SNK ever did. The bosses in this game are cool but when you have to fight all of them on 3 separate occasions (each of which is nearly identical to the last) it gets just a LITTLE repetitive.

MEDIUM
There are places where the camera flat out SUCKS. During regular battles it's pretty much ok, but with every single boss fight I have at least one time where I say to myself, "Ok I know there's a bad guy somewhere over there and he's about to kick my ass but I don't know what to do because I can't SEE him because of the craptastic camera." This is the reason I quit playing Mario Sunshine halfway through and haven't gone back because I get tired of screwing with the camera and dying/redoing areas because of having to make blind jumps, etc.

Both of these problems don't kill the game though and I could have lived with them. Unfortunately...

LARGE
I'd NEVER thought I'd say this about a video game, but frankly the quality of this game is KILLED because the game is too damn hard! I admit I don't play games as much as I used to but I still think I'm pretty decent at them. You have no health (the boss in level 4 can kill you for 2 mistakes). Part of the value of the game is being able to buy new skills for your weapons, but you can't do that because you're constantly having to spend all your money on blue, green, yellow orbs and other stuff in the EXTRA section. When I finally beat the game I had bought a grand total of THREE weapon upgrades (Stinger level 1, Air Raid & the fireball level 1). So basically the game penalizes you for wanting to try something different.

This game is a HUGE disappointment not because of the hype but because I KNOW there's a potentially awesome game in there, you just can't get to it because of the issues above.

So does anyone agree with me on this? Or am I just smoking crack again? loco

Solidus Snake

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Phoenix Down:
Well I FINALLY got around to playing this game. I really wanted to like this game, I really did. This game could have been one of the greatest games ever IMO except for 1 small problem, 1 medium problem and 1 big-ass problem:

SMALL
Capcom always seems to have a hard-on for recycling stuff, even more so than SNK ever did. The bosses in this game are cool but when you have to fight all of them on 3 separate occasions (each of which is nearly identical to the last) it gets just a LITTLE repetitive.

MEDIUM
There are places where the camera flat out SUCKS. During regular battles it's pretty much ok, but with every single boss fight I have at least one time where I say to myself, "Ok I know there's a bad guy somewhere over there and he's about to kick my ass but I don't know what to do because I can't SEE him because of the craptastic camera." This is the reason I quit playing Mario Sunshine halfway through and haven't gone back because I get tired of screwing with the camera and dying/redoing areas because of having to make blind jumps, etc.

Both of these problems don't kill the game though and I could have lived with them. Unfortunately...

LARGE
I'd NEVER thought I'd say this about a video game, but frankly the quality of this game is KILLED because the game is too damn hard! I admit I don't play games as much as I used to but I still think I'm pretty decent at them. You have no health (the boss in level 4 can kill you for 2 mistakes). Part of the value of the game is being able to buy new skills for your weapons, but you can't do that because you're constantly having to spend all your money on blue, green, yellow orbs and other stuff in the EXTRA section. When I finally beat the game I had bought a grand total of THREE weapon upgrades (Stinger level 1, Air Raid & the fireball level 1). So basically the game penalizes you for wanting to try something different.

This game is a HUGE disappointment not because of the hype but because I KNOW there's a potentially awesome game in there, you just can't get to it because of the issues above.

So does anyone agree with me on this? Or am I just smoking crack again? loco
Don't play DMD, you will HATE it. If thought Normal was hard don't play it. I say deserving since DMC 2 for many except me was disappointing. I love them both.

<small>[ February 20, 2003, 09:43 AM: Message edited by: Solidus Snake ]</small>

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Yeah, I played the first few levels of Hard mode and wanted to snap the disc in half, so I can only imagine what Dante Must Die mode is like... oh_no

Darklighterx

J. Maximum Fan Club President
20 Year Member
I thought it was pretty easy. I didn't like the camera in some areas too, but I didn't think it detracted from the overall experience.
Perhaps you're getting a bit old for this? :D j/k

Solidus Snake

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Phoenix Down:
Yeah, I played the first few levels of Hard mode and wanted to snap the disc in half, so I can only imagine what Dante Must Die mode is like... oh_no
Nightmare 3 on Dante must Die is what makes most people quit on DMC on DMD mode.

Shapermc

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
Honestly I bought the hype. I wanted to like this game too. I played it through and was loving it. Then it happen. The first time through the game and then... "Oh crap I am almost done with the game!" It was over like that! All asudden I was done with the game. First time through and then BAM 5 hours later I was done. I had the exact opposite problem as you. I thought that the game was too damn easy. I then went on to beat the game in Hard in UNDER 4.5 hours. oh_no

In retrospect it was not a bad game, but when you buy it release day and have it beat 2 times before the weekend you get a bit disapointed. I mean honestly how hard would it have been to have streached that game out to about a 10 hour game? But I then took it to Wal-Mart told them I got a strange "error" and wanted a new one. Got the new one, took it to EB and excanged it for MGS2 (not like that was much better). Anyways, that discouraged me from getting 2 at all (and I hear that 2 is even easier).

END RESULT: OVERRATED

FeelGood

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
I was seriously looking forward to DMC as well, and was turned off by the ennui of the battles that I feel like I've faced a million times over.

Plus the fact that Dante's character designed was a bit ... cliche to say the least.

RiotoftheBlood

Chin's Drinking Partner
I really like DMC, in fact it's one of the few 3D games I've really gotten into. I thought it was difficult at first as well, but I was eventually able to fight my way through, and I think that's how a good game should play. I tried the Hard mode, and I haven't been able to get past level 16 or so, wherever it is where you fight the Dark Knight for the last time. I will get back to it in the future.

I liked the music, liked the level design, and liked the enemies. There's much more inspiration in this title than the sequel.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Aside from GTAIII, DMC is the only other game I've really enjoyed on the PS2.

I liked pretty much everything about it except for one issue, the difficulty.

The game was too easy on Hard Mode, but insanely difficult on Dante Must Die Mode. I couldn't find a medium into which I was comfortably challenged, it was either easy or controller smashing difficult.

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Sorry, but that game is incredible. I beat the game a while ago but I still kept it since I'll likely play it again.

I don't remeber the last game that gave you such a visceral thrill in smiting one's enemies with such style. I never got bored of killing things.

The game was on the easy side, but damn was it fun.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
I think you're meant to play through the game on easy first so you can build up your character some. I enjoyed it while I played it and thought it had alot of style.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
EvilMike:
I think you're meant to play through the game on easy first so you can build up your character some. I enjoyed it while I played it and thought it had alot of style.
Well that would make sense, but I took the Resident Evil approach (screw the Easy mode since it's useless and go for the gold). :)

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
Simply Put: I love this game, and every aspect about it. Artistically, I find it one of the most impressive games to date, not to mention gameplay wise. Art in motion!

naitram

The Old Man
Paid $20 for it, and still sold it.

The game is fun at first, inside the castle is beautiful and the gameplay is somewhat fun. But reappearing monsters is a lame excuse for game length, and once you get outside the castle the game gets boring (the water levels ughhh). And the story was laughable.

Sorry Verb, can I still come over this weekend? wink

Kid Aphex

samus' love slave,
Verbatum:
Simply Put: I love this game, and every aspect about it. Artistically, I find it one of the most impressive games to date, not to mention gameplay wise. Art in motion!
That pretty much sums up how I feel about it as well.

This game is so heavy on atmosphere, its absurd. The music is ambient and eerie and fits things perfectly...and the environments are gorgeous.

10/10 game; easily. i played through all levels of difficulty because i liked it so much

Verbatum

Rugal's Panther
naitram:
Paid $20 for it, and still sold it.

The game is fun at first, inside the castle is beautiful and the gameplay is somewhat fun. But reappearing monsters is a lame excuse for game length, and once you get outside the castle the game gets boring (the water levels ughhh). And the story was laughable.

Sorry Verb, can I still come over this weekend? wink
Yes, I suppose you can!

BIG

sony fanboy
I didn't think DMC was all that hot.It's got nice graphics and the story was kinda cool,but the game itself was pretty much average,nothing ground breaking.DMC2,IMO,was even less spectacular.

Devil_Gans

Bu, ,
DMC was awesome.It was original when it first came out.Its deserving.Those who say otherwise don't know what they are talking about, sorry...

I like everything about it.The gameplay, the music, the gothic athmosphere, the enemies that require different strategies to beat and the boss battles.The game also has a formidable challenge, allowing limited continues(depends on the amount of yellow orbs you buy).The harder modes are a blast to play.You will either love them or hate them.The enemies and bosses have personalities and Dante was cool.The camera angles are OK.I have seen far more worse worse camera angles than this.
Unlike the sequel, the enemies in the original were way harder to beat and they require different tactics and elemental attacks to beat.DMC is the type of game that makes you master most of the moves before you stand a chance against the tougher enemies and bosses.Its not a game where you can slash mindlessly.Try the harder modes and see if mindless slashing will get you that far.You have to buy moves for the ifrit or alastar to get stronger and add more strength to your weapons.The juggles with the alastar or the ifrit were cool to execute.
DMC1/2 are stylish games.No other game combines style with horror this well.It works in DMC's case.

The legendary dark knight mode was cool with a new music and the Yamato sword which extends into a sparda sword when you DT.Its WORTH playing the hard mode just to unlock this mode.

DMC is not overrated as it is a quality game that is worth playing.You will either love or hate the harder modes such as the almost impossible DMD mode.
Many people realised how good DMC1 was when they played the sequel which was good by all means.It just didn't live up to the original.

<small>[ February 20, 2003, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Devil_Gans ]</small>