PAYPAL woes. Opening account requires ALL personal info?

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
So, I want to open up a paypal account, I did so a few days back. But now I got a message that the accoutn is blocked. I haven't even made 1 transaction.

They need a copy of my passport, photo, driver's license etc. WTF? Does anyone else have this problem?

If I open an account and immediately link my creditcard, will this be enough to use paypal the normal way??

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
make sure you ALWAYS log on to www.paypal.com

There are a lot of spoof sites. Usually if they can't verify your info they ask for other things.

On my account I added my CC and bank account and never ran into problems.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
thanks for the response. could it be that I'm using a free mail address (gmail) as well?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
thanks for the response. could it be that I'm using a free mail address (gmail) as well?

Nope. Doesn't matter. Where are you getting this message? Email? Just got to the actual site and check like James said. Never link through from emails.

Take what ever linky you got...or email, and forward it to the offical paypal site. Sounds like a big time scam. In the several years I have had an account I have never been asked or sent anything like that.

2Dfan

Formerly "Dreamer"
20 Year Member
well, I'm getting this message ON my paypal account. It says my account is locked and to unlock it I have to send all the info to paypal...I have never heard of this stuff before as well...

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
well, I'm getting this message ON my paypal account. It says my account is locked and to unlock it I have to send all the info to paypal...I have never heard of this stuff before as well...

Just call their customer support phone number.

Just call their customer support phone number.

Actually, yeah, thats an even better idea. Considering that you said you just opened this account...there should not be any problems anywhere. All they ever ask for is a credit card, and then a bank account in some cases to send/recieve money quicker if I remember right. Reguardless you should not be having this much trouble with a new account....at all.:scratch:

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
back in 2006 I removed my bank account and decided to use it to just buy stuff with funds I get from selling

I didn't touch it for 3 years and I came back to it because a guy wanted to send me $40 and I couldn't touch it. I can't use the funds in my account to buy anything. It's so retarded. It keeps telling me to add a bank account, but I don't want to, nor have I ever had to. I thought fuck if I can't even send it to people to buy things, maybe I can pay that stupid $2 fee to get a check sent to me. Nope, gotta add a bank account.

So yeah, for a couple months now I've had $40 sitting in my Pay Pal account that I can't even touch

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
Kind of strange they're asking for a bunch of info. If you do go to the PayPal website, make absolutely sure the link you go to is a secured link (the opening letters will have a https : the 's' is secured. Still better, as the others suggested, call their customer support to be extra careful. I'm not sure how strict PayPal is these days since I've had mine for close to 10 years now and don't remember jumping through that many hoops to set mine up.