PCE Super SD System 3 - Terraonion New Product (Dec 2017)

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'm curious what other US customer's experience is with it shipping via Correos.

Tracking shows it was admitted on the 12th, "Departure from the International Office of origin" on the 16th, then no tracking updates since then on the Correos tracking page. It's not in USPS's tracking system yet either. I'm not freaking out (yet :P), but I assumed there would've been some further update on the tracking.

I'm just antsy and excited to get it in soon so I can start playing with it.

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Correos' tracking sucks, it's why I went with UPS this go around. Plan on being in the dark until you get your package.

neosd

Neosd Developer
I'm curious what other US customer's experience is with it shipping via Correos.

Tracking shows it was admitted on the 12th, "Departure from the International Office of origin" on the 16th, then no tracking updates since then on the Correos tracking page. It's not in USPS's tracking system yet either. I'm not freaking out (yet :P), but I assumed there would've been some further update on the tracking.

You will get tracking info at USPS.com once the packet arrives customs there, until then you will not get any info.

yes, correos sux on customer end for some things (such as this one), and our side for everything. If i would tell you guys what i had to do to get our packets procesed you would be scared about how bad they work.

They are not just prepared for large amount of packets on the user side.

This is the main reason we dropped correos and started to work with DHL today, every shipment costs 4 euros more but the time and work it saves us has no price.

BTW, as soon as i can get some air we are going to remove correos from the webshop and replace it with DHL, we will rise the price on 4 euros aswel.

From now, every correos shipment except south american shipments will be shipped with DHL instead of correos, even payed with correos (without any extra cost).

Alex,

Neo NooNaN

Quiz Detective
Just got my ship notification. I had selected Correos not knowing their reputation, but mine was sent DHL. Thanks for making that move, NeoSD!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member

When I bought my original NEOSD back in late 2016, I picked Correos. It took 2-ish weeks to arrive.

And I don't think the USPS website ever updated that the package made it into the States. Even after delivery, it never made it into USPS tracking.

So...yeah.

Relikk

n00b
Correos' tracking sucks, it's why I went with UPS this go around. Plan on being in the dark until you get your package.

Yeah I have a strong feeling mine will arrive before I see any movement on the tracking page. Last notification was on the 14th.

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,

This is all mine says:
14/03/2018Admitido
17/03/2018Salida de la Oficina Internacional de origen

I’ll update when it shows up but looks like you will get yours before I do.
Edit:
Came today but I missed the mail man hah oh well glad it’s hear.
So correos shipping to USA mine came via usps was shipped March 14th arrived March 26th. Pretty quick considering.

Last edited:

grendelrt

Super Spy Agent
I had the crappy shipping and it never updated the tracking info on usps, just arrived on thursday.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, Correos tracking was useless, but by the time it showed up in the USPS tracking system it was only a couple more days until it was in my hands. It took about 2 weeks total, which is much better than most slowboat packages from Europe for me.

neosd

Neosd Developer
When did you order please mate? (mine was on January 17th)

17th January, it MAY be shipped tomorrow.

I say MAY, if it dosen´t gets shipped don´t blame on me please, i am the more interested one on get everything shipped asap.

We plan to ship 50 more tomorrow (we shipped 52 today), it just depends if there are no distractions tomorrow. Units are ready to ship, just packing and creating the labels have to be done ...

Alex,

skel28

n00b

I say MAY, if it dosen´t gets shipped don´t blame on me please, i am the more interested one on get everything shipped asap.

We plan to ship 50 more tomorrow (we shipped 52 today), it just depends if there are no distractions tomorrow. Units are ready to ship, just packing and creating the labels have to be done ...

Alex,

Alex, great news thank you. It will get here when it does mate. Cheers

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ok, now I'm just torturing myself. I'm at work and decided to check my security camera at home out of curiosity since people are saying the tracking is horrible for Correos, and I see a suspiciously sized package being delivered.

maybe_SSDS3.jpg

Gamepimp

n00b

Alex,

This is awesome news Alex. Thanks for the update! I ordered on the 17th of January as well. There's a little glimmer of hope that I might possibly be able to play with this wonderful device as soon as this weekend if UPS delivers as quickly as they have for others. :)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ok, now I'm just torturing myself. I'm at work and decided to check my security camera at home out of curiosity since people are saying the tracking is horrible for Correos, and I see a suspiciously sized package being delivered.

View attachment 49480

You are one creepy mutha fooka...

...There are places in jail for people like you... prob next to Bibs...

xROTx

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
Very cool,
At this point might as well have a full fpga system with a cart slot and hdmi out. Close to pulling the trigger and buying this.

wju2004

Armored Scrum Object

Alex,

Means we're getting close to about when I ordered mine. Definitely quite excited to get mine, but being patient as I know it's been a pain. Keep up the good work!

cr4zymanz0r

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Ok, the package did end up being my Super SD System 3 and I've been toying with it this evening.
I'm going to give a 'quick' review with my findings starting with the summary.

Summary: From my small testing and playtime tonight I'd say most people will probably be happy with the Super SD System 3 (SSDS3). However, if you are an audiophile or videophile you might run into some annoyances.

Test setup:
1.) PC-Engine Duo-R with mickcris RGB amp (for comparison)
2.) Core Grafx (recapped, region modded)
3.) US Turbo Grafx 16 (stock, no repairs or mods)
4.) Genesis model 1 power supply
5.) Random modern switching (3 amp) power supply that runs all my other retro consoles without issue
6.) Packapunch Genesis 2 csync SCART cable
7.) Genesis 2 to RGB break-out box (RCA connectors). Uses csync, gives me flawless video on my Genesis 2 (that's been modded some to get rid of jailbars).
8.) Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)
9.) Random $100 Vizio sound bar for sound

Sound: I'll start with sound since it'll be a shorter section. The CD audio isn't as good as it is playing from the disc on my Duo-R. Now I'm not an audiophile, so it's not like I have some super expensive sound setup and can tell if something is 1% off. From my very limited testing time the only thing I've noticed so far is the intro for the US version of Ys: Book 1 & 2 when you first boot it up. There's a lot of bass at the beginning, and then when the narrator starts talking he has kind of a deep voice that hits the bass too. On my Duo-R everything sounds clear and normal. On the SSDS3 in that scene it sounds like the bass is overdriven. This kinda distorts and muddies it, sorta like you're trying to go higher than your speakers can handle (except I didn't really have the volume cranked up). I don't really consider it subtle difference. I also ripped my original disc myself with TurboRip and also played back the .wav file on my PC to make sure it wasn't being distorted in the ripping process.

Video: Ok, I did 99% of this testing on with my OSSC on a 55" 4K TV. If you feed a good clean RGB signal to it from pretty much any retro console it looks phenomenal. Now I'm seeing some moving diagonal line interference similar to pictures and videos I saw of the initial release of the SSDS3, but not nearly as prominent.

Now by default the OSSC has a low pass filter (LPF) on for incoming video signals. I generally never turn it off except when I'm messing around or want to see how clean a RGB signal is. When I turn it off on my consoles with 'perfect' RGB it'll let a little bit of interference show up, but it's minor.

Now I tried to take some pictures with my phone that didn't exactly come out the best, but here they are: https://imgur.com/a/j6Ul1
Since it's not always clear I'll kinda walk through the tests too.

1.) Tested with a hucard on my Duo-R. The darker green in the Dungeon Explorer title logo seems to be the most prominent place for potential interference. Things look crystal clear on the Duo with the OSSC's LPF on (the default setting). With the LPF off I see typical minor noise in the signal

2.) Tested with a hucard with SSDS3. It's not as clean as my Duo-R but not too bad. Turning off the LPF shows more noise than the Duo-R, but nothing stupid crazy.

3.) Tested the same game with the SSDS3 but loaded from the microSD card. Now I was seeing the moving diagonal lines in the green. Again, not as bad as the initial release of the SSDS3, but enough to be an annoyance if you're a videophile.
Now, turning off the LPF makes it look god awful. there's a bunch of static snow looking noise that I've never seen before on any other system with the LPF off.

Conclusion: I got the same results no matter what power cable I used or what video cable I used. It also didn't really change between me using a Core Grafx or a US TurboGrafx 16.

I'm not saying these are the definitive results and I'd be happy to give further info or help troubleshoot. However, given the various different scenarios I've tried it, I don't really think it's some fluke of me just having a potentially bad cable. I probably won't have time to REALLY dig into it hard until the weekend.

I'm reserving any judgement until other technical people get to really dig into this, as well as TerraOnion potentially getting to look into it as well (maybe the CD sound/bass issue could be fixed in a firmware patch?).

EDIT: if this needs to be spun off to a separate thread and/or the tech support forum, let me know.

Last edited:

neosd

Neosd Developer
Ok, the package did end up being my Super SD System 3 and I've been toying with it this evening.
I'm going to give a 'quick' review with my findings starting with the summary.

Summary: From my small testing and playtime tonight I'd say most people will probably be happy with the Super SD System 3 (SSDS3). However, if you are an audiophile or videophile you might run into some annoyances.

Test setup:
1.) PC-Engine Duo-R with mickcris RGB amp (for comparison)
2.) Core Grafx (recapped, region modded)
3.) US Turbo Grafx 16 (stock, no repairs or mods)
4.) Genesis model 1 power supply
5.) Random modern switching (3 amp) power supply that runs all my other retro consoles without issue
6.) Packapunch Genesis 2 csync SCART cable
7.) Genesis 2 to RGB break-out box (RCA connectors). Uses csync, gives me flawless video on my Genesis 2 (that's been modded some to get rid of jailbars).
8.) Open Source Scan Converter (OSSC)
9.) Random $100 Vizio sound bar for sound

Sound: I'll start with sound since it'll be a shorter section. The CD audio isn't as good as it is playing from the disc on my Duo-R. Now I'm not an audiophile, so it's not like I have some super expensive sound setup and can tell if something is 1% off. From my very limited testing time the only thing I've noticed so far is the intro for the US version of Ys: Book 1 & 2 when you first boot it up. There's a lot of bass at the beginning, and then when the narrator starts talking he has kind of a deep voice that hits the bass too. On my Duo-R everything sounds clear and normal. On the SSDS3 in that scene it sounds like the bass is overdriven. This kinda distorts and muddies it, sorta like you're trying to go higher than your speakers can handle (except I didn't really have the volume cranked up). I don't really consider it subtle difference. I also ripped my original disc myself with TurboRip and also played back the .wav file on my PC to make sure it wasn't being distorted in the ripping process.

Video: Ok, I did 99% of this testing on with my OSSC on a 55" 4K TV. If you feed a good clean RGB signal to it from pretty much any retro console it looks phenomenal. Now I'm seeing some moving diagonal line interference similar to pictures and videos I saw of the initial release of the SSDS3, but not nearly as prominent.

Now by default the OSSC has a low pass filter (LPF) on for incoming video signals. I generally never turn it off except when I'm messing around or want to see how clean a RGB signal is. When I turn it off on my consoles with 'perfect' RGB it'll let a little bit of interference show up, but it's minor.

Now I tried to take some pictures with my phone that didn't exactly come out the best, but here they are: https://imgur.com/a/j6Ul1
Since it's not always clear I'll kinda walk through the tests too.

1.) Tested with a hucard on my Duo-R. The darker green in the Dungeon Explorer title logo seems to be the most prominent place for potential interference. Things look crystal clear on the Duo with the OSSC's LPF on (the default setting). With the LPF off I see typical minor noise in the signal

2.) Tested with a hucard with SSDS3. It's not as clean as my Duo-R but not too bad. Turning off the LPF shows more noise than the Duo-R, but nothing stupid crazy.

3.) Tested the same game with the SSDS3 but loaded from the microSD card. Now I was seeing the moving diagonal lines in the green. Again, not as bad as the initial release of the SSDS3, but enough to be an annoyance if you're a videophile.
Now, turning off the LPF makes it look god awful. there's a bunch of static snow looking noise that I've never seen before on any other system with the LPF off.

Conclusion: I got the same results no matter what power cable I used or what video cable I used. It also didn't really change between me using a Core Grafx or a US TurboGrafx 16.

I'm not saying these are the definitive results and I'd be happy to give further info or help troubleshoot. However, given the various different scenarios I've tried it, I don't really think it's some fluke of me just having a potentially bad cable. I probably won't have time to REALLY dig into it hard until the weekend.

I'm reserving any judgement until other technical people get to really dig into this, as well as TerraOnion potentially getting to look into it as well (maybe the CD sound/bass issue could be fixed in a firmware patch?).

EDIT: if this needs to be spun off to a separate thread and/or the tech support forum, let me know.

Reading that makes me feel like we developed a high end audio and video output addon for the pcengine instead of an ODE

BTW : Audio levels can be adjusted by software, we will have a look at that after Semana Santa (spring break) ends.

Thanks for the coments

Last edited:

landsat

n00b
@Alex, just receive my Super SD System 3 today, only 24h after shipping, DHL is really good for this. Thanks for everythings.

Next step, try it tonight and have fun :)

neosd

Neosd Developer
@Alex, just receive my Super SD System 3 today, only 24h after shipping, DHL is really good for this. Thanks for everythings.

Next step, try it tonight and have fun :)

Thanks for the feedback,

If people in USA and ASIA could give me the same feedback about DHL, we would really apreciate this.

Thanks