Photographers with websites help!

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
I'm still trying to figure out what the hell I want to do with my site (link's in the sig). Can somebody check out my site and tell me what you think? Not of the photos, the site itself. Can one blog-type site served the triple purpose of personal stuff, general photodump, and online portfolio? What do you guys do? The sad thing is that all this inane worrying over presentation is actually getting in the way of my actually taking pictures.

:help:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
make the pictures panoramic.

apply filterz.

change your template to something that looks less bootleg bourbon drinking kentucka.

Don't post every pic, select most choice pics. Like when you posted all those pics from the music show, yeah too much dude.

classicmode.

Why aren't the pics bigger?

tumblr_lrs77yxwqu1qjj7qho1_500.jpg

I think I dated that girl before she turned into a ghost. Weird ass chick.

And that the hippie was cute. She loved sweet pickles. She liked the name
Willie. She even liked Apocalypse Now. She was not a vegetarian. These
were all on the plus side. But, once I introduced her to my friends, at
the time, and they were all stuck-up asshole Lit majors and they made fun
of her and she understood what was going on and her eyes, usually blue,
too blue, vacant, were sad. And I protected her. I took her away from
them. ('Spell Pynchon,' they asked her, cracking up.) And she introduced
me to her friends. And we ended up sitting on some Japanese pillows in
her room and we all smoked some pot and this little hippie girl with a
wreath on her head, looked at me as I held her and said, 'The world blows
my mind.' And you know what?
I fucked her anyway.

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
If you are giving out the url to prospective clients or hoping to attract clients to the site I would have separate sites. You could still have a blog with photos, I wouldn't use it as a general photo dump though.

Maybe have links on your mainpage to the following pages:
About Me
Contact
Portfolio
Blog

You could even have a gear section or some other area where you can do reviews or write-ups. that kind of stuff is great if you can get it indexed into search engines.

Last edited:

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I loathe red concert lighting.
pretty low on the color spectrum and hard to get good pics out of.
I like the vintage looking stuff,
but hey, so does every hipster out there with hipstermatic on their phone.
What do you shoot with?

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
Thanks for the input. I get a little OCD over things like this since it is something I'm interested in pursuing seriously. Anyway, the pictures are small because of paranoia, to stop people from just printing out the photos in case I want to sell any as prints. Tee hee?

As far as classicmode... Like... Post pictures of penises?

EDIT: Whoa, more replies. Thanks guys. I'll get to them all when I can, but as to what's on the site, I've used:

Pentax K-1000
Fujifilm Finepix S1500 (10 MP)
Ryobi Tek4 (8 MP)
Gateway DC-M40 (4 MP)
Those little Walmart digital cameras, I have two I've hacked (5 MP)
Polaroid 600
Disposables with DIY flash, lens filters
A Cosina auto windy camera thing (it's stored away so I don't remember the exact model)

I have a few other cameras, including a Maxxum 5, that I use but there are no pictures on the website with those cameras yet. It's overkill, I know, but they're all so much fun, and they all come in handy in different situations.

EDIT2: I personally like the red only because that was the part of the show where I was very, very drunk and I think it's a pretty accurate representation of what I was actually seeing haha.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Thanks for the input. I get a little OCD over things like this since it is something I'm interested in pursuing seriously. Anyway, the pictures are small because of paranoia, to stop people from just printing out the photos in case I want to sell any as prints. Tee hee?

As far as classicmode... Like... Post pictures of penises?

So you're thinking to sell pictures from events filled with people that would probably just print your low res offerings for free?

Commitment to excellence. Everywhere. All the time. If you run a site with really nice pics, you could get hired to take pics and not sell prints. Like at Boneroo.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
Well, not really the concert photos, but you do bring up a good point. In fact, a lot of good points were brought up in this thread that I probably wouldn't have thought of myself. I'm due for a major overhaul.