Photos from inside a North Korean Arcade

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
That pic of the sub simulation brings back fond memories from my childhood.

And that's Yie-Ar Kung-Fu on one of them cabs innit :vik:

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
That pic of the sub simulation brings back fond memories from my childhood.

Same here!

Something tells me it wouldn't be nearly as much fun playing it today. ;)

Then again, if you didn't know any better...

bokmeow

Same here!

Something tells me it wouldn't be nearly as much fun playing it today. ;)

Then again, if you didn't know any better...

It's all relative.

I bet it still beats the pants off of E.T. on the Atari 2600.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
No lie. I had nightmares about that arcade last night. Well... not really nightmares, more along the lines of I had a case of Shapelock and was gonna put SOMETHING on top of those bare joysticks but I just couldn't get it to melt.

That said, the candy cabs aren't horrible.

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
At least they have Yie Ar Kung-Fu :emb:

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I can just see the ads to get people to travel to NK....

North Korea: We Have Yie Ar Kung-Fu!

KagerouSama

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
15 Year Member
I've seen one of those submarine telescope games at a flea market across town.
It's been rotting there for eons--along with a Rolling Stones pinball machine if I remember correctly.

I wouldn't attempt even plugging one in for fear the wood rot and PCB damage (should PCBs even be in them still) would cause the units to catch fire.

You can imagine me imagining you imagining me being bewildered even considering one of those units still in working order.

If indeed that unit is even functioning in N. Korea.

Lets Gekiga In

Neon Night Rider
20 Year Member
Thanks for the link, Briggs. Articles about North Korea always really interest me.

Snuh

Sieger's Squire
In another few years they will be able to upscale and get Double Dragon. Then the real fun will begin.

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker will be fun too.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Yes but the real question is if North Korea goes into the title screens and alters the year/date of the games? You know, something made in 1984 would read "Taito 2007" or some shit. Keep them all in the dark thinking it's the latest & greatest.

:oh_no:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Yes but the real question is if North Korea goes into the title screens and alters the year/date of the games? You know, something made in 1984 would read "Taito 2007" or some shit. Keep them all in the dark thinking it's the latest & greatest.

:lolz:

those poor muthafuckas need some triples!

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
North Korea: We Have Yie Ar Kung-Fu!

Next month is loc testing for Karate Champ!

Obviously no need for Capcom to get over there and revive their arcades with, er, SFIV.

bokmeow

Great in 1984, great in 2007.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Not even going to bother arguing about my below posts...To tired for that shit. Anyways, nice post on the arcades, the pictures were cool. They got me interested in looking up more information on North Korea and the craziness over there.

Last edited:

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
Edit: Take a look at their forums. Can you believe some of these people posting? I love how they mention the leader of North Korea as the "Supreme Commander" multiple times in the paragraph but are probably not even North Korean themselves. Do these people have any clue? Edit: Take a look at their forums. Can you believe some of these people posting? I love how they mention the leader of North Korea as the "Supreme Commander" multiple times in the paragraph but are probably not even North Korean themselves. Do these people have any clue? http://www.korea-dpr.com/cgi-bin/simpleforum.cgi/simpleforum.cgi?fid=01

Edit: Take a look at their forums. Can you believe some of these people posting? I love how they mention the leader of North Korea as the "Supreme Commander" multiple times in the paragraph but are probably not even North Korean themselves. Do these people have any clue?

Edit: Take a look at their forums. Can you believe some of these people posting? I love how they mention the leader of North Korea as the "Supreme Commander" multiple times in the paragraph but are probably not even North Korean themselves. Do these people have any clue?

qube

Canadian Moderator
20 Year Member
haha, don't be so sensitive there kiddo :lolz: