Pit Fighter Board Issue

Blur2040

Crossed Swords Squire
Picked up an uber cheap Pit Fighter board today in unknown condition.

Turns out it kinda works.

Game will always play sound. If I leave the board sitting on its PCB feet on top of my supergun, the video goes all wonky, displays all sorts of goofy characters at a fast speed, while occasionally displaying bits of the game text. Black and white.

If I hold the board vertically when I turn it on, or let it sit upside down, the game still works fine in black and white.

So, I think the obvious issue is that flexing the board in certain ways causes it to not work---this seems to suggest that the issue would be with some sort of seated chip on the board.

My problem: Which one? Theres about a zillion of them there. The obvious suspects, I suppose, are at the center of the board, but how do I go about making sure they don't move? Take em out and bend the legs out? Replace the sockets (please, no, it's terrible to remove sockets AND clean the holes)

I'm assuming for now that the color issues are due to pit fighter not liking my JROK video encoder/the TV I am using.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's in black and white it sounds like you have a dirty sync signal.

If it's a chip that's causing the problem then turn on the board laying flat and tap on the chips while it's running and see if certain chips change the image when tapped. Could also be a surface mount chip if any.