Planning on Traveling South America for 6 Months. What to see and where to go??

Darren870

Previously Lusted for Lard
Background: So about 4 years ago I moved from NY to London for work. Well now I am thinking its time to move on and head somewhere else. Job has been getting on my nerves and I could use a break. So...time for more advice!

Anyways, I've traveled a lot of Europe over the 4 years and wanted to try to go to South America before I decide where I am going to settle next. Might head to Asia, Aus or even just back to London or NY. However, I do want to travel. I plan on doing this sometime in November as I have to give notice for a few things in London as well as sort out a few things.

So figured I'd ask if anyone has done it before. Or anyone that lives in SA can give some advice?

What are the must sees in every country? I want to hit them all
Is there any places I should avoid? An area that isn't safe?
Any must eats? or hotels worth staying at?
Hows the transport system between countries?
I know Brazil and Argentina are going to be the most expensive, any cheap towns or cities I should go to?
Any good dive sites? I am going to hit the Galapagos when I am there.
Any must do tours? I know there are some 10 day hikes that I want to do.
Any travel essentials that would be appropriate for South America?

I'll expand on this as I plan more. Right now its been in the back of my head and I've decided to take action. Over the next few months I'll be selling most of my possessions again (did the same when I moved to London). I'll probably start a blog or something as I get going.

Look forward to hearing all the advice and I am sure I will have plenty of questions as things keep going.

Right now I have the following booked:
November 13th -> Train to Paris
November 17th -> Flight to Estonia
November 17th-27th -> Drive from Estonia to Lithuania
November 27th -> Flight to NY from Lithuania ... To go home for Thanksgiving
???

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Go to Peru, find Chicha, drink.

Had chica a dozen or so times while traveling in Peru. The way to find the best chica is to be hiking or driving around rural villages in the mountainous areas around the Sacred Valley, Cusco, etc. There will be a red flag or red grocery bag wadded up onto a prominent wooden poll attached to a house that is clearly visible if chica is available. You are permitted to just walk up to the household and asking for chica. It could be just about anything taste wise, but will undoubtedly be an interesting experience. The millet/corn is chewed only to convert starch to sugar, then is boiled. Don’t worry about hygiene. Fermentation is open so expect lactic and Brettanomyces funk. I had a dozen or so varieties while traveling here. Best example I had was at a random house while hiking around Urubamba and Ollantaytambo in Sacred Valley. Her chica was served in a very large 16oz or perhaps 24oz glass tumber, opaque gray in color, with a foamy, weak head. Nose is very funky, lemon peel, soft Brett, saltwater, and rustic dough. Taste very raw, rustic, earthy with lemon sourness, saltwater, and a ton of sour mash/Berliner Weisse character. It was delicious, and easy to drink quickly being very low alcohol. Probably 3% abv maximum if not lower. Highly recommended that you seek the real stuff out. It is unlabeled, not for sale in stores, not bottled, and essentially homebrewed wild Berliner Weisse. If you have a dud, keep trying more. Eventually you’ll get a winner. Probably will taste like nothing you’ve had before, even as a seasoned beer nerd.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Go to Columbia, get kidnapped by the local cokelords, hell of a adventure.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
+1 for Peru. Been to Cusco, Lima, and a few small towns as well. Great time.