Play magazine - dead on the press?

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Any other subscribers?

I just fired off an email as I hadn't received anything since the January issue, but ..

- Their main site is down http://playmagazine.com/

- The subscription site also seems to no longer exist.

and then I found this:

http://magweasel.com/2010/02/09/you...e-that-play-magazine-doesnt-exist-any-longer/

First of all, what's up with no notification if there is some kind of issue. And second, sad as that maybe and all, do we get refunds on our remaining subscriptions?

Anyone else a subscriber/reader and know anything further?

Last edited:

Jaelus

Over Top Auto Mechanic
15 Year Member
Hm yea. That would pretty much explain it.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Subscribing to magazines is always a risk.

I know one of the editors posts at GAF/The-Next Level. Try posting there and asking.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert

IsamuBlue

Formerly Megatron2929
Figures. Then again, I was never a big fan of Play.

Sound like the same shit that happened when EGM went under. I was a subscriber, but never got a notification they went under, a refund, or a replacement Maxim subscription. I wonder if my subscription to EGM will restart once it re-launches. I doubt it though.

I didn't know about Gamefan though. That was one of my favorite gaming mags back in the 90s. Glad to see it's coming back. I hope it's as good as it was back then.

xiao_haozi

Avid Neo-Expert
Figures. Then again, I was never a big fan of Play.

Sound like the same shit that happened when EGM went under. I was a subscriber, but never got a notification they went under, a refund, or a replacement Maxim subscription. I wonder if my subscription to EGM will restart once it re-launches. I doubt it though.

I didn't know about Gamefan though. That was one of my favorite gaming mags back in the 90s. Glad to see it's coming back. I hope it's as good as it was back then.

I think it really depends on what they decide to place as content. What I liked about Play was that it had a large focus on Japanese release games and anime/manga that I didn't really hear about elsewhere (out of my own laziness). Was the only magazine besides National Geographic and Linux Journal that I subscribed to... (mainly because it was $1 per issue vs the 5.99 in-store price).

But yeah, hopefully if they do bring gamefan back, we might have a shot at a subscription or some kind of compensation...but more so, hopefully it has some decent content and not just all big studio news.

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
I was a little disappointed in play,
sparse layouts, very biased reviews,
or at least when i was a reader.

despite the fact that magazines aren't doing terrific
doesn't excuse them from full filling a sub order.
hope everyone at least gets a different magazine substitution.
I didn't get jack squat when gamefan stopped back in 99 or so.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Subscribing to magazines is always a risk.

Especially over the past few years. It's like throwing money into the void. If the void throws you something back, cool. If not, what the hell did you expect? Any game magazines still around are only barely hanging on. There's not a one of them I'd put money on still existing a year from now.

rarehero

20 Year Member
i was surprised to pick up a rolling stone
and see they went from huge paper format to small normal magazine sized.
it makes sense I guess, but it feels different.
well. and glossy.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
i was surprised to pick up a rolling stone
and see they went from huge paper format to small normal magazine sized.
it makes sense I guess, but it feels different.
well. and glossy.

I hadn't seen that. That is weird. Just a midway step to them disappearing completely, though.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
one thing i learned form this thread.....

the-magicbox.com is still around.

holy shit, i used to follow this site like 6 yrs ago. The site layout hasnt changed in years either. great stuff...

rarehero

20 Year Member
I still check magicbox.
but I think it's from force of habit.
i check that and ncs every weekday.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
If GAMEFAN Magazine is back, then I will Sh*t myself. I LOVE THAT MAG!!!!

GAMEFAN

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
If Gamefan comes out anew I hope they can deliver relevant content to their readers.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If Gamefan comes out anew I hope they can deliver relevant content to their readers.
That will only happen if some sort of cataclysm destroys the internet. Otherwise, every single thing they write about will be 3+ months out of date, just like game magazines now.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
Often times... but it had moments. For $1 an issue, it wasn't bad.... well I guess until they stop your sub.

I dunno man. Their reviews were beyond worthless, and there was no real coverage to speak of (at least way back when when I gave 'em a shot).

They were supremely pretentious and seemed to have no real knowledge of games as a whole. I'd say they deserved to die.

That's just me though.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I dunno man. Their reviews were beyond worthless, and there was no real coverage to speak of (at least way back when when I gave 'em a shot).

They were supremely pretentious and seemed to have no real knowledge of games as a whole. I'd say they deserved to die.

That's just me though.

I agree but that is what makes them so great!

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
That will only happen if some sort of cataclysm destroys the internet. Otherwise, every single thing they write about will be 3+ months out of date, just like game magazines now.

Yeah, so I have no fucking clue what they'll write about.

bluelander

n00b
Supposedly EGM is coming back, I heard the guys that originally started it bought it back from the 1up/UGO merger. Still haven't seen anything on it though.

I keep seeing people say "make sure to buy it on the newsstand, don't subscribe".

Uhh yeah, for most of these magazines a subscription costs about the same as 3 issues on the newsstand.