Pokémon Cards

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
So my kids want to get Pokémon cards...I never played with cards as a kid so I have no idea where to begin.

I took a look on Amazon and there are like a million different sets. Any recommendations on where to start? All I know is they want cute cards like Pikachu and Squirtle.

@M

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy,
20 Year Member
Do they sell starter/beginner sets? That'd probably be the best way to go. I thought about getting into it several times, but Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Duel Masters, and Marvel card games were enough for me and I just go back to solitaire. :D

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I never did Pokémon as a kid either. We just get them some tins from Target and packs...

PS...I Poké ur mom last night...

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
I can't believe pokemon cards are back.

Lost all my rare ones when I forgot them in a hotel room when I was 10. Irks me that some are worth thousands now. Oh well. Also no idea.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
The Yu Gi Oh cards like Pokemon have thousands of cards so I just bought the video game.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
My wife was interested to learn the card game years ago. They have some starter sets where it normally comes with two decks- plenty to get started with playing equally competitive games between two people. I don’t remember the exact one we got. Something with Alolan Raichu.

Edit: Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Pokémon-TCG-Trainer-Lycanroc-Alolan/dp/B01N6TC9MD

Last edited:

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
get ready to drop good money if your kids intend to ever go to card shop tournaments or play with friends that are "competitive"

JoeAwesome

Well I don’t mean “competitive” in that larger sense. More that with these two decks in a set, they can be competitive to each other.

Btw, BF, that film sucked.

Last edited:

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member
My wife was interested to learn the card game years ago. They have some starter sets where it normally comes with two decks- plenty to get started with playing equally competitive games between two people. I don’t remember the exact one we got. Something with Alolan Raichu.

Edit: Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Pokémon-TCG-Trainer-Lycanroc-Alolan/dp/B01N6TC9MD

$10, perfect - sold! Thank you!

Guys, I don’t think they are serious about it...I think they just like the idea of getting cute cards and trading them with each other.

JoeAwesome

That set was good at getting started- easy rules, a mat, all the pieces.

Arcademan

Now...It's OFFICIAL!!!
20 Year Member
I can't believe pokemon cards are back.

Lost all my rare ones when I forgot them in a hotel room when I was 10. Irks me that some are worth thousands now. Oh well. Also no idea.

They really never left. They're nowhere near as popular than when they first came out but cards are part of mainstream now.

Still...at its height, I help the stores I worked at (as well as myself) make easy money off them, selling them though sticker machines. I was dishing out over a thousand cards a week at $1 a piece at two locations to the point we had to empty the machines of money not because of the popularity but to keep the supply of quarters flowing to buy them.