Post your keyboard controllers, synths, drum machines, etc!

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
I started making music with software because I couldn't afford hardware. I've since dabbled with both, but had gotten so used to software I sort of prefer it. I actually find that anything you can do with hardware, you can do with software also. I'll continue to use software but any piece of hardware I may pick up down the road, I'll use as well.

/me is still trying to find an ESX-1SD that's affordable(don't like the $900 price on amazon)

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
ohhhh shit, disapproval from the synth guru! you better be grabbin them volcas now dan :)

Using software is weird for me, It's like when you get a new arcade game and you play it to death learning all the little intricacies and develop skills.... but if you get a CD full of roms you might put 10 minutes into that same game just credit feeding and never get the most of it. Give me all the synthesizers and effects I could ever dream of and I will just get overwhelmed and lose interest, But if you give me one machine to play with at a time and I will get way more out of it.

That being said, sooner or later I see myself with a push or a MPC ren :)

Nice try buddy! But I'm sure he's talking about making it solely with software which is definitely 100% boring and very tedious. That was one reason why I got out of it back then because I was tired of the tedium of software. I also didn't have the money or space for hardware at the time either so I just said fuck it and dropped out.

Anway I'm a 50/50 hardware/software guy. There are things I don't know how to do well on Ableton and things I don't know how to do well on the Push but since they work seamlessly in unison I can bounce back and forth to achieve my goal which is the beautify of my setup. However when I'm really getting in the groove, I'm like 90% on the Push and then I just use Ableton's visual display to see a representation of what I'm physically doing on the Push.

But I know you want me to get them Volcas so we can be the Volca bros and jam out. Believe me I wanted the Volcas too plus some MPCs and a crap ton of synths cuz I LOOOOOOVE the idea of having tons of hardware to death but man I'm trying to tell you that Push is something else bro. It hypnotized me. A few days ago Push stopped me from buying an Akai MPK49 from a friend on the low low. I remembered that my Push controller could do everything it could do plus more.

You'd just have get your hands on one believe how insane this controller is.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Fuckin around with the MPC, getting ready for a yearly DJ contest

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
Alright, I just got a pair of KRK Rokit 8's & figured it's time to finally do something with this DDJ-SX.

I have the DDJ-SX connected to my PC with it's included USB cable. Drivers/software installed properly. I have the Rokit's connected to the master XLR outs from the DDJ.

Whenever I play any sounds(music, movies, etc) from my PC, it comes out of the Rokit's just fine.... but whenever I load up the Serato DJ software, it recognizes the DDJ and shows that tracks are being loaded... but once I actually try to play a song there's no sound at all.

aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skate323k137

10 Year Member
I haven't used serato in a while, but there should be something for input/output routing.

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
what in the hell... been arsin' around with serato for awhile trying to get the damn thing working... i found a virtual dj disc that came bundled with some hardware i bought awhile ago... installed it, and guess what... this freakin' ddj-sx is working just fine with virtual dj.

i guess i'll have to use that then... o_O

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
That audio routing stuff in DJ tools makes me mad. I have Virtual DJ and it took me hours to get it going with my Behringer USB audio interface.

To those of you (Spin?) interested in buying the Korg Volca Keys/Beats/Bass: Now that I've got all three of them, I can wholeheartedly recommend them all, they give you tons of features for the money, have a good sound and are very easy to get into. However, you should invest some extra money into three Korg PSUs (careful with cheap ones, they might lead to humming), at least the Keys and Bass eat batteries like mad. The Beats fares better in this regard but it's rather inconvenient having to change batteries every week or so.

Forget software, hardware is the future! :D

I'm also looking forward to the Akai Rhythm Wolf, it's some sort of deluxe Monotribe with a quality interface, it's inexpensive and sounds good from that I've heard.

Speaking of the Monotribe, failing to buy one is a crime against the angels of music so beware!! :loco:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
what in the hell... been arsin' around with serato for awhile trying to get the damn thing working... i found a virtual dj disc that came bundled with some hardware i bought awhile ago... installed it, and guess what... this freakin' ddj-sx is working just fine with virtual dj.

i guess i'll have to use that then... o_O

People hate on VDJ a lot, but it's actually pretty solid software.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
It does the trick and is easy to use. I mostly use it without headphones, the blue and red peak display at the top of the screen is enough for me in most cases.

It's not really crafty mixing anyway... don't want to brag but I prefer using my decks and a normal mixer, much more fun.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Yes hands on with a "real" mixer/decks is much more fun :)

Cylotron

ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪
15 Year Member
2 days later, and i still can't get this ddj-sx to work with serato(and the thing is designed for serato)... yet works just fine with both traktor pro 2 and virtual dj.

oh... i currently have 2 desks next to each other that are cluttered with 3 monitors, a desktop pc, keyboard/mouse, synth, 2 monitor speakers, a 2.1 pc speaker system & this big ol' ddj.... does anyone know of a place where i can just get one big ol' desk that everything will fit on nicely?

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
dope beat skate! nice live sequencing.

Glad to see you got the volca bass too takumaji! I love all 3 but I always find the bass the most fun to just mess around with.

always happy to see this thread get bumped :) I hope I can contribute to it soon. I am watching and waiting for a reasonable deal on a tech 12 or stanton STR8-150 :) thought I found one a few weeks ago and it sold right under my nose :(

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
things sure have come a long way since the analog 4 track setups we used, lol

SPINMASTER X

I AM NOT FRENCHMAN,, I AM A HUMAN BEING!,
20 Year Member
things sure have come a long way since the analog 4 track setups we used, lol

LOL what specific stuff did you use to use and when? I'm really curious, but yeah things have come a looooong way in the avenue of music production.

skate323k137

10 Year Member
dope beat skate! nice live sequencing.

Glad to see you got the volca bass too takumaji! I love all 3 but I always find the bass the most fun to just mess around with.

always happy to see this thread get bumped :) I hope I can contribute to it soon. I am watching and waiting for a reasonable deal on a tech 12 or stanton STR8-150 :) thought I found one a few weeks ago and it sold right under my nose :(

Thanks man! Here's another one I've been working on

Sorry you missed out on the deck... 1200's are around but finding one for a good deal definitely takes patience. Hold out for one of those types of decks, it'll be worth it especially for learning to scratch.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
great again dood, I like those samples alot.

I did crack and grab a vestax handy trax recently just because I had nothing to listen to my records on and I got a few new ones I really wanted to listen to as well (the many faces of oliver heart red etched vinyl for one :)) , but obviously no DJ fun will be had with that one :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
A few days ago, a friend of mine gave me some stuff he doesn't need anymore for free, a pitchable MC Crypt double CD player, Behringer DX100 DJ mixer and a crate full of CDs. The small Behringer mixer is quite nice, bit scratchy pots and faders but decent sound. Did some mixing for two hours or so and felt like 1999 again, haha.

t_10022011265.jpg

Behringer-PRO-MIXER-DX100_slika_L_6449037.jpg

(Pictures not taken by me).

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
a little deoxit should fix them pots and faders right up :) miracle stuff that deoxit. Looks like a nice score!

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
a little deoxit should fix them pots and faders right up :) miracle stuff that deoxit. Looks like a nice score!

My experience with stuff like deoxit are mixed. While it may be good in one case, it may completely ruin a fader or pot in another.

I've ordered a set of replacement pots and faders and will give the lil' mixer a thorough overhaul.

But yeah, it's a really nice score and I'm very grateful that my buddy gave it to me just like that instead of selling the lot via ebay.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Hey Takumaji and Complexz, could you guys tell me some stuff about the FB-01? Like specifically how the noise to sound ratio is? I'm Particularly interested in how it would compare to the Kawai K1m, or if they are even comparable. My K1 is noisy and I've been watching FB-01 sales for a month or two now.

Oh, I just grabbed a Volca Beats for $60!!! It rocks, so does the keys but everybody is raving about the bass. The guy I got the Beats from was like, oh sell the keys and get the bass.

My semi-modest rig has this gear:

Kawai K1 (Ahhhhh)
Korg Volca Keys and Beats
Alesis SR-16
Korg N264 (given to me by a friend who got it from a friend who moved to Texas. 1 dead key, floppy drive is shot and the defaults were replaced with 150 different organ sounds.)
Boss SYB-5 (bass guitar synth, so much fun and cheap too!)
Roland VS880 with the FX expansion (without which I would be lost)
A Kawai XD-5 module that I can't get working yet
and a Zoom 4 track that broke last week when I fell asleep drunk and left it playing. Lost like 5 new songs when it happened too. :crying:

I love music! :)

edit: oh and a Casio MT-205 :D

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have both the K1m and FB-01 and can safely say that the FB is way less noisy. It's one of my fave synths, small, powerful and very flexible. However, contrary to the K1m you will need an editor to access all the deeper FM synthesis functions as there's only a limited set of options available via the frontend. I use YSEDITOR (FB-01 version) on Atari ST, also works with Steem (Atari ST emu). However, there are other good editors available for Win and Mac as well.

FM synthesis is my fave form of synthesis ever. It's not as easy to get into as classic subtractive analog stuff but even a small 4op FM synth like the FB can do things you won't be able to do on most standard analog monos or polys.

In short, ANY electronic musician should own a FB! :)

About the Volcas, the Beats is my fave of the lot so far and I also love the Keys. I had my probs with it at first but if you've come to grips with the filter and resonance (it has a dramatically different filter than, say, the Monotribe or Monotrons), this thing really shines... ...and man, does the ring mod poly mode sound cool!

The Bass is excellent and gives you tons of features and a good sound for the money. The thing is, I already have a good selection of bass/mono synths (original 202, BassStation, MFB Nanozwerg, etc.) so I use the Bass for other stuff, mostly polyrhythmic or fx-y sounds.

Since some people keep asking me this question: The Bass is not the best 303 emu I've used so far, I'd even rate the Monotribe superior in this regard. Still, you can coax some nice lysergic sounds out of it and it has enough bottom end to make it a great little bass box.

Another word on the K1m, I LOVE this thing to death, it's absolutely perfect for creating all sorts of weird textures and has some interesting synthesis features you won't find on other machines, like the envelope delay which can be used to create some wavetable-ish stuff. I'll never sell mine.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I wish I could add something of value but yeah, I am pretty new to all of this, But takumaji has not steered me wrong yet!

and yeah I personally never went into the volca bass looking for a 303 clone, Since most of what I attempt to produce is a little more on the hiphop side than techno and the FB-01 was the only synth I owned, it was just a awesome and flexible analog noise making device :) throwing it through some reverb on my kaoss pad 2 gives it a awesome atmospheric vibe IMO. I think I am a bit too much of a reverb addict, when completely raw the keys is probably the coolest with all the motion sequencing and dirty ass delay.

I think owning all 3 is a absolute must, not so much from a production standpoint, simply syncing all 3 and jamming along is too fucking fun. I would recommend to anyone, music experience or not :) really brings me back to the days of playing with rebirth on the PC, not knowing what I was doing but somehow ending up with music. :)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
True, syncing the three Volcas together and doing a little jam is mad fun. I usually throw the Monotribe in there as well, its super-cool low-fi drums are awesome IMO. I'm pretty sure I could do a cool livegig with just these four boxes.