Post Your Recent Purchases!

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
More thanks to Keio, more goods bought.
The Framemeister I've been wanting for a bit but never wanted to drop the dough on.
The first Progear I got came from Bill Burger and pretty much works when it wants to. So that one is getting donated to Tweek and hopefully he can fix it. Free game! I opened the box for this one from Adderall and the bottom of the A board was shattered thanks to my awesome Postal worker. Oh well, guess I'll post a WTB thread for a new shell :P

51niPJN.jpg

hlfTaVF.jpg

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
I've toyed with the idea of getting a Framemeister for awhile now. I write it off every time after I try to play Majora's Mask on my flatscreen and Link's shield comes up about a quarter of a second after I press the button. Doesn't seem like it'd make a huge difference in an easy game like that but it screws you over real quick. Framemeisters are supposed to reduce input lag on flatscreens to some extent right?

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Nice scoop panda! As an early adopter, my Mini is still kicking strong... and I'm a couple firmware versions old too. I suppose I should upgrade at some point.

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
I've toyed with the idea of getting a Framemeister for awhile now. I write it off every time after I try to play Majora's Mask on my flatscreen and Link's shield comes up about a quarter of a second after I press the button. Doesn't seem like it'd make a huge difference in an easy game like that but it screws you over real quick. Framemeisters are supposed to reduce input lag on flatscreens to some extent right?

I've had a Framemeister now for a couple weeks. Overall I really like it. It's not perfect, does require some learning and configuring, must be coupled with a very low lag display, and will probably never be good enough for top tier fighting action. But for 99% of gameplay, it works great and looks amazing. The PC Engine and Saturn in particular look stunning.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
I've had a Framemeister now for a couple weeks. Overall I really like it. It's not perfect, does require some learning and configuring, must be coupled with a very low lag display, and will probably never be good enough for top tier fighting action. But for 99% of gameplay, it works great and looks amazing. The PC Engine and Saturn in particular look stunning.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that in the case of the N64 the input delay is reduced due to the *upscaling* being handled by the Framemeister and not the TV. I have a nice 20" PVM but it'd be nice to be able to kick back some and play on a bigger screen from time to time. The input delay on my set is definitely noticeable even in game mode.

Last edited:

city41

10 Year Member
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that in the case of the N64 the input delay is reduced due to the *upscaling* being handled by the Framemeister and not the TV.

That is true, but all flat screen displays always have at least a little bit of lag. The absolute best display rated at displaylag.com has 9ms of lag.

The framemeister takes about 16ms to upscale an image, which chances are is way faster than your display. Couple that with the absolute best display there is and you're still at 25ms of lag.

25ms is not very noticeable. I estimate I'm sitting at about 30ms of lag and I really can't notice it at all. But my fighting game friends who play Street Fighter competitively would never stand for it.

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
That is true, but all flat screen displays always have at least a little bit of lag. The absolute best display rated at displaylag.com has 9ms of lag.

The framemeister takes about 16ms to upscale an image, which chances are is way faster than your display. Couple that with the absolute best display there is and you're still at 25ms of lag.

25ms is not very noticeable. I estimate I'm sitting at about 30ms of lag and I really can't notice it at all. But my fighting game friends who play Street Fighter competitively would never stand for it.

Holy sheeeet. Just checked and my Samsung has 75ms of input delay. Wonder how much it is with the N64 hooked up. Probably pushing 100ms you think?

city41

10 Year Member
Holy sheeeet. Just checked and my Samsung has 75ms of input delay. Wonder how much it is with the N64 hooked up. Probably pushing 100ms you think?

The N64 does either 240p or 480i, so yeah most TVs do a crappy job scaling that up. I'll bet you're above 100ms.

Sadly the Framemeister can mean needing a new TV to go along with it, not to mention a lot of RGB modding and setup. If you run the Framemeister with anything but RGB, the result is not so hot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1eROI6Lgh8

MidnightAbyss

Mr. Big's Thug
The N64 does either 240p or 480i, so yeah most TVs do a crappy job scaling that up. I'll bet you're above 100ms.

Sadly the Framemeister can mean needing a new TV to go along with it, not to mention a lot of RGB modding and setup. If you run the Framemeister with anything but RGB, the result is not so hot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1eROI6Lgh8

I'm going to go burn one of those Dreamcast 240p Test Suite discs and see what it says. It should be relatively close to the N64 in terms of input delay. I'm actually really curios what the exact number is here.

lolifoxgirl

Rot., Rot., Rot.
Just get a framemeister or make room for a wega. Go bug or go small, then get gaming.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Consoles and everything? That is a ridiculous deal.

MattBlah

Baseball Star Hitter
Consoles and everything? That is a ridiculous deal.

Yep, all in real nice condition too. I almost felt bad, but the lady just seemed to be happy to be rid of it. It's the only time I've found a good deal on Gumtree.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Screw getting a Wega. Those big ones weigh a ton! Dammit... I'll probably end up buying a Framemeister.

The framemeister is far from perfect. If I had the space and had to choose between the two, I would go with the Wega.

city41

10 Year Member
The framemeister is far from perfect. If I had the space and had to choose between the two, I would go with the Wega.

tating a wega is a great way to kill yourself.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
tating a wega is a great way to kill yourself.

I guess that would be the only reason to keep a framemeister around but if your playing on a 42 inch plasma or lcd, good luck tate'ing thos as well.

city41

10 Year Member
I have a 29" Samsung monitor with a rotation mech in the stand. But it rotates the wrong way for tate. So I had to mod the rotation mechanism and now it rotates full 360 and works great. I love it for vertical games.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have a 29" Samsung monitor with a rotation mech in the stand. But it rotates the wrong way for tate. So I had to mod the rotation mechanism and now it rotates full 360 and works great. I love it for vertical games.

Yea I hear ya, I 'm not a huge shtmup fan but I could see the framemeister being used for vertical shooters on a nice flat panel. I've ran into issues over the years with the framemeister that made me think twice about selling my PVM. I would even take a Wega with component to scart converter over a framemeister.

Last edited:

city41

10 Year Member
I agree. I had 3 PVMs die on me over the course of about 3 years. I decided when my 4th and final PVM died, I'd go XRGB. In a perfect world, two PVMs daisy chained together is the perfect setup IMO. But I do like that the XRGB and my LCD monitor are modern, reliable equipment that are unlikely to die anytime soon.