Post Your Recent Purchases!

Shinchan

n00b
This stick was so well-loved, that some sweaty Japanese nerd rusted the cover plate in the lower left and right. Going to remove the rust, put a nice vinyl overlay on the plate, and replace the stick and buttons (although I do like the way the stock stick feels and may keep it)

Nice. Love this stick x100 over the AES stick.

Whippy

Banned
"Junk," but not for long...

I wish I could see images. Attached files to the forums just are listed as IMG_0000.jpg (Or whatever number is applicable), and if I click on them, I don't have access.

However, based on the description is this a rusty Hori stick that was on ebay not long ago?

Shinchan

n00b
It seems to be an account issue as I get the same result, but obviously others can see the image.

It was one of them (seller had a few). He accepted a nice "best offer". The rust is literally just on the top plate in the lower corners and on the associated screws. No sign of any moisture damage inside, so I'm 99% sure it was just a prolific sweater.

I wish I could see images. Attached files to the forums just are listed as IMG_0000.jpg (Or whatever number is applicable), and if I click on them, I don't have access.

However, based on the description is this a rusty Hori stick that was on ebay not long ago?

Whippy

Banned
It seems to be an account issue as I get the same result, but obviously others can see the image.
It probally is for noobs like us.
The rust is literally just on the top plate in the lower corners and on the associated screws. No sign of any moisture damage inside, so I'm 99% sure it was just a prolific sweater.
I think I saw that one when I was looking for an arcade stick. It was one I was watching because It would be nothing for me to wire wheel the rust off and repaint. I ended up making my own anyway, but it is cool that you got something one of us was looking at.....I would imagine that happens more than we know.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The rust is much more likely to have been caused by how its been stored over the last 2-3 decades. Japan is a very humid place in the summer, don't forget that either.
The friction of someone's arm/hand has over time worn off the paint and seeing as the top plate isn't aluminium or stainless steel it is vulnerable.

Whippy

Banned
The rust is much more likely to have been caused by how its been stored over the last 2-3 decades.
I doubt it would have rusted had it been in continual use, but you are correct that the metal became exposed from usage, and the oxidization happened after storage. Stainless steel can develop rust, but it takes a special kind of stupidity to start into it. Rubbing it with a carbon steel brush or brillo pad can cause unsightly surface rust that is unstoppable. It never eats through, but will always stay surface level. I am sure there is some sort of chemical treatment to remove it, but methods and materials would most likely exceed costs in all but the most critical industrial applications.

Shinchan:

I would certainly suggest that after disassembly that the plate is wire brushed (Power brush would be optimal) completely until all visible rust is removed. After that find a plastic tub and soak it for a day in white vinegar to combat any random rust remaining. From there another scrub down with a wire brush, wipe down with ISO alcohol or pure acetone and fill in any pock marks with bondo. Depending on the depth you could use a few coats of primer instead of the bondo with sanding in between a few thicker coats. Rust is a pain in the ass, and if not approached correctly, it will rust again but under your fresh new paint.

elGRIZZbo

Mr. Big's Thug
My Retro-bit Genesis USB controller just arrived.

CQFj2pJ.jpg

TdbavP0.jpg

Got the USB version to use with my Raspberry Pi so I can relive the nostalgia of playing Street Fighter II: Special Champion Edition on my friends Genesis.

Shinchan

n00b
I'm just sanding off the rust and covering it with Neo-ish vinyl sheet, at least that's the plan. I'm not running a body shop over here...

I doubt it would have rusted had it been in continual use, but you are correct that the metal became exposed from usage, and the oxidization happened after storage. Stainless steel can develop rust, but it takes a special kind of stupidity to start into it. Rubbing it with a carbon steel brush or brillo pad can cause unsightly surface rust that is unstoppable. It never eats through, but will always stay surface level. I am sure there is some sort of chemical treatment to remove it, but methods and materials would most likely exceed costs in all but the most critical industrial applications.

Shinchan:

I would certainly suggest that after disassembly that the plate is wire brushed (Power brush would be optimal) completely until all visible rust is removed. After that find a plastic tub and soak it for a day in white vinegar to combat any random rust remaining. From there another scrub down with a wire brush, wipe down with ISO alcohol or pure acetone and fill in any pock marks with bondo. Depending on the depth you could use a few coats of primer instead of the bondo with sanding in between a few thicker coats. Rust is a pain in the ass, and if not approached correctly, it will rust again but under your fresh new paint.

Jarofmayo

Morden's Lackey
Fixed up my beat up GBA SP and put it into a new shell. Had a blast trying to take out the hinges from the old shell to use for this one :rolleyes:

Pika1.JPGPika2.JPG

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I've had the Amiga 2000 for a long time now, but finally got the small leakage from the battery cleaned and a coin battery installed recently. Collected some games, accessories, and scored a mint monitor while I was waiting on the battery mod work. Now I just need an original mouse.

2019-04-13.jpg

city41

Mai's Tabloid Photographer
10 Year Member
The Amiga is something I really wish I could have experienced in its day. Such a neat computer.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
Awesome Amiga setup - I especially like your OG monitor. I have that exact same mouse with my A1200.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
That Amiga setup is awesome, especially with the boxed Psygnosis games.

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I've had the Amiga 2000 for a long time now, but finally got the small leakage from the battery cleaned and a coin battery installed recently. Collected some games, accessories, and scored a mint monitor while I was waiting on the battery mod work. Now I just need an original mouse.

Love my Amiga. The only mods I put in were a Kickstart, Reset switch, and added a Gotek drive to my A500.

I wish I had another Amiga monitor. My 1084 took a dump and I miss it. I ran my Amiga and a good amount of other consoles on that monitor.

ULTRA 4TH GEN

Armored Scrum Object
Box looks fake and is that just chinese plastic wrap?

You mean the Chinese plastic that wraps your mother's dildos? It is similar, but different.
My game is 100% original and that plastic is original from Nintendo (1994). I understand how hard is it for you.
And I understand that my purchases are extremely important for you. You can keep looking at the pictures as much as you want. I must be understanding when I visit the zoo.

You wish and dream that it's a repro. You pray for it to be a fake from aliexpress. And meanwhile, I laugh out loud with this show.
I love watching you swim in your own bile.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Scored this sweet Sonic manual. Love the airbrushed artwork.

img1551072625098.jpg