Power problem with modded AES

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
I have an older serial# US AES with the Neobitz and Unibios mods. I've had this unit for 5 years and had it modded last year.

After the mod, I used it sparringly until I moved and in the last few months have given the unit some use.

About 3 months ago, the unit started giving me issues that it would reset itself after some use, but never a pattern based on time. It would reset after 1 hour, 4 hours or 15 minutes of use. In other words, the power would cut out for a second and resume.

Recently I've tried turning it on and nothing would happen. I switched the AC adapter to the older Genesis type and the same thing would happen, so that rules that out.

If you gave the unit a tap or a knock near the AC area, the power would flash on, yet off. It won't stay on now.

This is something new for my and this unit and I have no idea what the issue can be, unless the solder points for the AC plug have gotten cold or something. I didn't think this could happen on a videogame system.

I can't use the unit and I don't want to bang on it just to get it to power on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Sorry to hear about this Argentina, this is a very common problem.

When systems come to me for repair/modification, I always replace the power jack, regardless if it's in working condition or not. They do wear after time & it's such an easy/fast fix that it shouldn't be overlooked.

If you'd like, I can swap out the piece for you. All you'd have to cover is shipping both ways. The repair would be on me :)

Argentina94

Slug Flyer Pilot
20 Year Member
Kpj said:
Sorry to hear about this Argentina, this is a very common problem.

When systems come to me for repair/modification, I always replace the power jack, regardless if it's in working condition or not. They do wear after time & it's such an easy/fast fix that it shouldn't be overlooked.

If you'd like, I can swap out the piece for you. All you'd have to cover is shipping both ways. The repair would be on me :)

Thanks Kenny, I really appreciate the offer and I'd definitely take you up on it if I was still in Canada, but in Argentina my shipping back and forth to the US is no longer an option since customs here would never accept that something already mine was returing to me and would charge me an exhorbitant customs fee.

Well, I wasn't aware it was a common problem but at least I know the reason. Is there anyway I could put a replacement AC jack in myself? I have decent soldering skills, the issue would be finding a suitable AC jack.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Argentina94 said:
Thanks Kenny, I really appreciate the offer and I'd definitely take you up on it if I was still in Canada, but in Argentina my shipping back and forth to the US is no longer an option since customs here would never accept that something already mine was returing to me and would charge me an exhorbitant customs fee.

Well, I wasn't aware it was a common problem but at least I know the reason. Is there anyway I could put a replacement AC jack in myself? I have decent soldering skills, the issue would be finding a suitable AC jack.

Arg,

No problem, I understand about the shipping charges/hassles. The act of removing the old jack & installing a new one isn't difficult, but your system is already modded, which means you have a mess of wires running from the mobo to the top shell's connectors. You would (most likely) have to de-solder all of the rca jacks/terminals in order to separate the motherboard from the shell in order to fix the psu jack. If you're comfortable with this, then by all means, tackle the project yourself. I have a jack that I could send you.

LMK,
Kpj