Pre-Registration for Otakon 2005 (Baltimore, MD) now open

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Just FYI to anyone who wants to go. The dates this year are August 19-21, and they're limiting the number of people to 22,000.

Pre-registration has only been open since Friday and they've already had over 3,000 people register. :eek:

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
Bout freakin time.

I'm waiting on a few more people and I should have the pre-registration thing setup to go tonight or tommorrow I hope.

slerch666

updyke,
I'm still flip flopping.

There's 18000+ reg to go, and I'll make up my mind by June so as to avoid the extra $5-$15 charge this year.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'm thinking the same, but I might go earlier. Heck, it'll be the first time I've ever pre-regged an anime convention. Ever. :)

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
Heh, pre-reg date doesn't matter unless you got a hotel in January. I've avoided Otakon the last couple of years... it's become such a hassle to get in and navigate the con that it isn't worth the effort. My ultimate, impossible crowd-control dream is that they'd separate Otakon into 2 cons... 1 for angsty teens to act loony, and 1 for the rest of the world to watch anime and game like there's no tomorrow. ;)

I'm planning on doing Animazement this year just because it's local and because it's not yet popular enough for big crowds to really ruin it.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I don't know. The promise of a small non-overcrowded Animazement may die by this year. Especially due to the japanese talent they rake in, each year. Heck, they actually got the talent before Otakon started getting the talent, and that speaks volumes. But maybe, again this year, we'll be lucky to get a nice tight con again. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it, this year, as I missed it last year.

IMTheWalrus

Pao Pao Cafe Waiter
Honestly, Otakon should have moved. (Even though it was great compared to an absolutely overpacked Katsucon). Surely there is a place they can find in Philly or DC that can support 30,000+ congoers.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I would like to but, I got to school this summer. So, I won't be able to.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm ready to go. Got my Airline ticket, hotel room and I pre-regged. Hopefully sombody will have NGBC.

Stefan

Philadelphia Freeman,
20 Year Member
Nine straight years I have never paid for any Otakon registrations and I certainly have no intention of
stopping my methods or "career streak," if you will.

It's called looking for loopholes.

Am I a cheap bastard? No question

That particular Con's coffers have been sky high $$$$ for years now. Matter of fact, they could finance multiple Otakons in a given year if need be across the country.

Yes, they have nonprofit status w/ the IRS

The event doesn't need my spending money to sustain itself.

btw the selection of attendee badges for last year blew

Or was it '03? I can't remember

p.s. fuck Katsucon and its former con chair Keith Mayfield

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
I might go this year i'm not sure yet.
Pretty much depends on money and my health still :conf:

If i do it will be for a day like i all... ways do.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
Tron 2.0 said:
I might go this year i'm not sure yet.
Pretty much depends on money and my health still :conf:

If i do it will be for a day like i all... ways do.

I don't think they are selling single day passes this year.

I'll be there.

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
neojedi said:
Heh, pre-reg date doesn't matter unless you got a hotel in January. I've avoided Otakon the last couple of years... it's become such a hassle to get in and navigate the con that it isn't worth the effort. My ultimate, impossible crowd-control dream is that they'd separate Otakon into 2 cons... 1 for angsty teens to act loony, and 1 for the rest of the world to watch anime and game like there's no tomorrow. ;)

I'm planning on doing Animazement this year just because it's local and because it's not yet popular enough for big crowds to really ruin it.
Do you ever go to "Heroes Con"?

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
EvilMike said:
I don't think they are selling single day passes this year.

I'll be there.
Damn i might have to get a 3 day pass then :annoyed:

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Tron 2.0 said:
Damn i might have to get a 3 day pass then :annoyed:

This year they're only selling 3-day passes because of the expected turnout.

I've also kind of thought that this may be my last year for Otakon since it's gotten just way too crazy. The same thing happened with Nekocon, they couldn't keep up with the amount of people so I stopped going a couple years back. :(

slerch666

updyke,
Phoenix Down said:
I've also kind of thought that this may be my last year for Otakon since it's gotten just way too crazy. The same thing happened with Nekocon, they couldn't keep up with the amount of people so I stopped going a couple years back. :(
So will you still let EvilMike and I sleep with you anyway?

kafuin_gaira

Viewpoint Vigilante
i probably won't be going at this point, but you never know.
last year i spent more time in the harbor getting drunk than in the con itself, so it's not like i can't do that at home.

Phoenix Down

Flagstaff Up,
20 Year Member
Yep, you and Mike are still good to crash with me.

Just don't hog all the covers. :emb:

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
hey if anyone goes can anyone get me info about gundam seed destiny from bandai? from there panel or booth.

slerch666

updyke,
El_Duque said:
hey if anyone goes can anyone get me info about gundam seed destiny from bandai? from there panel or booth.
I should be going to the Bandai panel assuming I can get out of this funk I'm in.

So far they haven't announced whether they have it or not, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

El_Duque

Andy's Clothess,
slerch666 said:
I should be going to the Bandai panel assuming I can get out of this funk I'm in.

So far they haven't announced whether they have it or not, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

jerry chu announced it through an interview that they licensed it i just want to know when they are releasing it domestically.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
I'm just wondering what's up with the Guest List. All they have are four American voice actors and that's it.

Last years guests AND pannels sucked too. I still remember the year that Penny-Arcade was suposed to come and they backed out at the last minute. And it also sucked they stopped doing Mystery Anime Theater 3000. That was fun.

Hopefully they'll anounce some cool guests and pannels for this years convention, or I'll just spend most of my time walking around the city like I did last year.