Primal Rage 2 arcade cabinet built. Only 2 in existence

Setsuna1982

World Her,
The game looks like shit but it's an interesting piece of hardware. Atari tried to come up with their own Killer Instinct game with PR2, altough the classic dinosaurs appear in some special moves.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Cool addition and the right place for it. Too bad the game is complete shit.

Opethian

Basara's Blade Keeper
10 Year Member
Been to galloping ghosts twice amazing arcade!

Ghudda

New Challenger
Holy shit the Galloping Ghost arcade looks awesome. Thanks for the share!

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Holy shit the Galloping Ghost arcade looks awesome. Thanks for the share!

i feel almost spoiled with them being local. its just 'going to the arcade' for me. its a trip to see the destination it has become.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
Nice... that looks pretty damn polished for the time period. (looks wise...)

Also (gfx-wise) looks like it may have been a Co-Jag game. Anyone confirm that?

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
There was one at CAX. It worked for the few first hours, then the HDD crashed or something and was freaking out. (the colors on the monitor were fucked up anyway)

Ghudda

New Challenger
i feel almost spoiled with them being local. its just 'going to the arcade' for me. its a trip to see the destination it has become.
I watched their Kickstarter video (which unfortunately didn't do too well) and just watching him walk down even a small section of the place blows everything we have here in Texas out of the water (that i'm aware of). Definitely jealous. Have they moved towards expanding the arcade even though the kickstarter failed?

Endlessnameless

They call me Gringo,
Very cool. That place kinda reminds me of the arcades I went to growing up. I still set foot in one ever now and again but instead of fighting games and the usual stuff I remember it is all redemption games.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Nice... that looks pretty damn polished for the time period. (looks wise...)

Also (gfx-wise) looks like it may have been a Co-Jag game. Anyone confirm that?

Agreed. It looks damn cool for the time. Looks like they were going for a cross between Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct and Primal Rage. Although really wonky looking today, I'm sure I would have plopped a few quarters into this as a kid.

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Very cool. That place kinda reminds me of the arcades I went to growing up. I still set foot in one ever now and again but instead of fighting games and the usual stuff I remember it is all redemption games.

Because nowadays redemption is the only way for a "normal" arcade to turn a profit.

A specialized arcade like galloping ghost relies heavily on its location, community, and events. That is how it survives.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
There was one at CAX. It worked for the few first hours, then the HDD crashed or something and was freaking out. (the colors on the monitor were fucked up anyway)

It was off every time I walked by, so I appreciate this thread-it gave me a chance to see the game.

Great to see you, btw!

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Very surprised at how much was completed with the game. The characters where all well animated and I was shocked that they found multiple fatalities as well as endings. Makes me wonder how it would have been if the game was finished and had a proper release. From the video Doc at Galloping Ghost showed it's still running on a hard drive, which I hope they will backup considering most games from that era have been failing. That's why whenever I see videos of people restoring Area 51 they always take the hard drive out and replace it with a compact flash card. Card dies, just swap it out with a new one.

What I'd really like to know is what happened to all the stop motion animation puppets they used for the game. I had heard people saying the originals where destroyed when a toy company took them to make molds of a Primal Rage line of figures that never came out. But if you watch the gameplay of the second game it looks like the dinosaurs have some new animations so either they still existed or they just had some unused assets from the previous game. I always loved stuff like that as a kid and it'd be a real shame to see them just tossed aside.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
From the video Doc at Galloping Ghost showed it's still running on a hard drive, which I hope they will backup considering most games from that era have been failing.

Ver. .36a is in MAME, they just never finished the controls so at least the image is there.