PS2 hardware issues

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Some background -- I've owned this PS2 since around launch and never had any trouble with it. Lately however it has started to seize up after about 30 minutes of gameplay. It makes an audible noise and then everything freezes. The system is in the horizontal position.

Has anybody had any experience with this? Any tips for troubleshooting? Would the vertical position work better?

Or am I going to be forced to spend money on a new PS2 (I really don't want to but I have a few PS2 games I still have to play).

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
vertical is bad.

I recommend cleaning it with a cleaning kit. I'm pretty sure you can find one at a gamestop. My bros launch ps2 was having loading issues 2 years ago and after a clean it worked like new.... then it got stolen, but honestly do try a cleaning and if that doesn't work maybe it's just croaking.

ray_7

does it make a clicking sound on the cd drive?

this happened to me before.. and yeah as eddie said, try to clean the lens...

neo_X7

Disciple Of Orochi
Any DVD cleaning disc will clean the PS2, so don't buy a over priced cleaning kit.

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The best way to clean the PS2 is to open it up and clean the lens with alcohol wipes (like the kind you clean glasses with). While you're in there, you can also blow out most of the dust with canned air and wipe the rest away with a slightly damp (with alcohol) paper towel. After all the cleaning is done, I also lube the bar that the laser mech slides on with WD-40, and the bar on the underside of the tray. I even put a little on the gears to smoothen the opening/closing of the tray. After that, the PS2 should work like a champ again.

Lashujin

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Just tell sony on the phone that your getting a DRE and they will fix it for free, all you have to pay is one way shipping.

Galford Forever

Krizalids Fashion Designer
Thanks guys!! You were absolutely right -- I nice spin through with a cleaning kit and everything is cool. Good deal since I didn't want to have to buy a whole new system. Thanks again.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
The key with Playstation hardware is to keep it away from oxygen. Once you expose it to oxygen, it's downhill from there.

Last edited: