PS3 update ver 2.10

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Where the hell is XviD support? No one uses DivX anymore because the tools are all spyware.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
It's too late... MS beat them to the punch. I am watching everything I download streamed through the 360. I had hoped the PS3 would get it right first, since it's not doing much right now besides sitting on the floor looking like a big waste of money. :(

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
on the floor? lol

MS heard about it coming on the triple and spent the money quicker I guess. god , I love MS.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
kernow said:
MS heard about it coming on the triple and spent the money quicker I guess. god , I love MS.

Actually, MS announced this capability long before the 360 even launched (when these details came out in Spring 2005 I stopped myself from picking up a $200 network media player). It just took MS two years to implement support for all the important codecs (something Sony still hasn't gotten right... the PS3 still won't play most of the stuff I download).

Still, I wish the 360 had launched with this capability fully fleshed-out, but it had lots of great games to play so I can't complain. ;)

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
Highlander67 said:
how would someone transfer videos to a PS3 that is the 40-gig model? A thumb drive?

sdcard to usb adaptor, cdrom.. burnt dvd ... pen drive. usb hard disk, anything USB mass storage based.

Highlander67

Sultan of Slugs
kernow said:
sdcard to usb adaptor, cdrom.. burnt dvd ... pen drive. usb hard disk, anything USB mass storage based.

And I imagine you have an option to copy to the PS3 system?

ray_7

Highlander67 said:
And I imagine you have an option to copy to the PS3 system?

Of course. Just select USB Storage Device, press triangle, and you're presented with options to copy, delete, etc.

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
You can also set up a uPnP media server and copy the media off of that (again, triangle menu -> copy).

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
what software do you use for that? I've only seen windows shite and read about fuppes and mediatomb

would be nice to stream from my fileserver :emb:

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
kernow said:
what software do you use for that? I've only seen windows shite and read about fuppes and mediatomb

would be nice to stream from my fileserver :emb:
Mediatomb works under Linux fine...

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
when can we expect a hack for the PS3 to play all region PS1 and 2 games?

SpamYouToDeath

15 Year Member
wasabi said:
when can we expect a hack for the PS3 to play all region PS1 and 2 games?
No one's even working on breaking the PS3 security. It's already an excellent media center, runs Linux out of the box, and at least PS3 games are almost region-free. There are very few people with a legitimate cause to hide behind.

Last edited:

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
Tried playing divx / xvid some more today. Some of my xvids wont work, but all Top Gear episodes work.

kernow

The Goob Hunter
20 Year Member
eek said:
Tried playing divx / xvid some more today. Some of my xvids wont work, but all Top Gear episodes work.

apparently xvids work if you copy them to the hard disk

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
SpamYouToDeath said:
No one's even working on breaking the PS3 security. It's already an excellent media center, runs Linux out of the box, and at least PS3 games are almost region-free. There are very few people with a legitimate cause to hide behind.

By legitimate cause you mean living in Europe and not owning a PS2 and a PSX, but wanting to play japanese PS2 and PSX games on the PS3, as well as Japanese movies?

Yeah, very few of us with a legitimate cause.

I hope someone cracks the PS3. If anything, it would help Sony.

eek

Mature's Make-up Artist
15 Year Member
kernow said:
apparently xvids work if you copy them to the hard disk

They run fine off my usb hard disk, at least I think I was running xvids (file names say they are xvid). The other stuff that don't run are probably older divx stuff. I havent had the time to find out what codecs are needed on the stuff that don't run.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
eek said:

I downloaded the 1.2 update last night, and the PS3 still won't play most of what I have been downloading, including the Top Gear episodes. :(

Oh, well; they play just fine on the 360.