Pulstar 1 player only?

Anselm

Camel Slug
So 2DMaster is over my house playing MVS games. He bought over his copy of Pulstar...and we can only play 1 player at a time. 2DMaster assures me it worked 2 player alternating on his 2 slot, with Unibios.

So what gives? I have a 6 slot board with a U.S. bios. We've tried switching slots, tried settings in soft dip, and tried starting in all possible combinations of one player/two player.

If two player starts, one player can't join and vice versa. Anyone seen this before?

~Anselm~

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You sure it's a US bios and not a different region bios?

Anselm

Camel Slug
You sure it's a US bios and not a different region bios?

Yes, because it was the wrong region when I bought it. I switched it with my 2 slot bios. What's a good way to check without taking the boards out?

~Anselm~

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think the outline color of the cross hatch is supposed to be a certain color, not sure. I usually go by the chip code. I know Asia bios will display "Asia Bios" on screen. Did you insert a credit on the 2P side?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
On my 4-slot with US bios, Pulstar is one player only. I can start the game as either 1P on left or 2P on right and stage select up to stage 4, but once the game has started there is no way to have another player join until the game over screen is over.

2D_mastur

Is he greater than XD Master?
10 Year Member
On my 4-slot with US bios, Pulstar is one player only. I can start the game as either 1P on left or 2P on right and stage select up to stage 4, but once the game has started there is no way to have another player join until the game over screen is over.

Thanks for confirming this. This was our problem, EXACTLY.

So far... using Unibios, I just found out the following:

Arcade - USA region => NO 2 player
Arcade - JAP region => YES 2 player
Arcade - EURO region => YES two player
AES - ANY region => YES two player

USA bios does not have pool credits (it has individualized credits), thus is this a programming flaw found in all Pulstars? Was Pulstar never "designed" to be played with US ARCADE bios?

BTW my cart is a LEGIT JAP copy. (Can post board pics if needed)

SNKor SWM, is your cart JAP or US?

Please... anybody with a legit Pulstar cart, please try to play 2p with US region bios, and let me know the results

Thank you.

Last edited:

Anselm

Camel Slug
Well, I finally have a "necessary" reason to buy a unibios.

~Anselm~

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
I just asked another Pulstar owner to try 2P (alternating) with USA arcade bios, no dice.

It's looking like its a bug exclusive to USA region bios.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Cant' test. Wish I could. But I can't.

My MVS is using an O.E.M. EURO BIOS, and my PULSTAR cart. turned out to be a boot--so the seller got it back. :( / :)

In any event, based upon how your MVS BIOS' and SNKorSWMs BIOS are configuring the cart, I'd say that the BIOS settings are messing with ya. :D

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Thanks for confirming this. This was our problem, EXACTLY.

So far... using Unibios, I just found out the following:

Arcade - USA region => NO 2 player
Arcade - JAP region => YES 2 player
Arcade - EURO region => YES two player
AES - ANY region => YES two player

USA bios does not have pool credits (it has individualized credits), thus is this a programming flaw found in all Pulstars? Was Pulstar never "designed" to be played with US ARCADE bios?

BTW my cart is a LEGIT JAP copy. (Can post board pics if needed)

SNKor SWM, is your cart JAP or US?

Please... anybody with a legit Pulstar cart, please try to play 2p with US region bios, and let me know the results

Thank you.

My Pulstar cart is a white rental cart with authentic pcbs. The label is in english which implies that it may be a replacement.

So it looks like the restriction is only applicable to US bios.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Id be keen to see someone hack this game and add a 2 player simultaneous mode...

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Heh, building a better boot. :lolz:

But, yeah, I agree: a 2P simo. PULSTAR cart. would be neat to see, a bit crazy, but still cool.

2D_mastur

10 Year Member
Hmmm 2P simultaneous play would ruin Pulstar IMO. Pulstar is like Blazing Star for gamers who want a challenge. 2P mode would make the game a lot easier and ruin it's notorious difficulty.

Anselm

Camel Slug
Hmmm 2P simultaneous play would ruin Pulstar IMO. Pulstar is like Blazing Star for gamers who want a challenge. 2P mode would make the game a lot easier and ruin it's notorious difficulty.

That's what happens when you turn on simultaneous in Viewpoint. Easier to advance through the game, and when you die, you just respawn immediately instead of at checkpoints.

~Anselm~

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Yeah but there is nothing to stop players from playing 1 only, like in Viewpoint where you can turn it back to single only, and like Last Resort where it is simular to Pulstar when playing on your own.

In a way, the check point system makes it easier, cause if you die and go back to no power up at all, in some cases youre pretty well f***ed... Look at the 4th boss in Last Resort, how do you pass that if neither players have a robot? Can you actually do it without one?

Im just one of these players that loves to play these games with friends at the same time.