Putting a Cab on wheels.

MasonSushi

n00b
I was wanting to put wheels that screw on the bottom of the cab instead of the flat platters. Now they make wheels that have the screw on the bottom, and was wondering if anybody replaced the platters with wheels. If so , what did you use?? I wanted the wheels that had a locking bar on them. I need to be able to roll the cab if I want to do maintenance and rearrange the room. I am also trying to figure this out with my MS Pac-man cab as well.

Last edited:

mrbippers

Kuroko's Training Dummy
What you're looking for are called casters. Harbor freight sells a bunch of them individually or you could just buy a small movers dolly for like $10 and take the wheels off. Depending on how large you want the casters, you may have trouble finding one that has a locking mechanism that's shorter than 3 inches. You could also just stick a couple rubber wedges in the the smaller ones to lock them.

Camp

Zero's Secretary
10 Year Member
Interesting. I just took it for granted that my candy cab has wheels built into the lower back side so you can tilt and roll it. I would hate to have to drag it around without them.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I use a dolly to haul my cab around when necessary.

TheBakachan

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Putting the cab on wheels in general sounds like a recipe for a painful death, hehe. Locking casters would probably have you covered, but it might be unnecessary. You just want to be able to move them around the room?

When I got my 4-slot big red, I put it on some really nice furniture glides I bought from a nearby store. It's nearly impossible to make it move by accident, but once you overcome the amount of force necessary to displace it, it glides along effortlessly. Mine are made out a metal disc with a lip around the edge, and a big fat pad of low-friction plastic, like HDPE or something, for it to slide on.

Granted, I have hardwood floors. Though they're supposed to work on carpet, too.

Some things to consider with the casters though: Firstly, it will change the height of the controls. And secondly, the weight of the cabinet will be distributed over a much smaller surface (The area of the wheels actually in contact with the floor) so it might leave dents in the flooring. Using the original leg levelers on 2-3" diameter furniture glides gives a lot more surface area, and they are typically meant to protect the floor as well as make things easier to move.

Fett

Camel Slug
Those smaller wheels with the little brake levers don't work too well. I'd pick up some more heavy duty wheels with no breaks (unless you're planning to leave it on a hard floor). Rather than drilling into cab directly I recommend just making a dolly that snugly fits into the bottom of the cab. That way you can easily take the wheels out at any point. Do pay close attention to how the bottom of your cab is attached to the rest of it though. Mine has 4 corner braces that can support the weight of the cab, but if it's just plywood or thin metal you might end up pushing the bottom in. As for the point made about it changing the height of the machine/controls, that's true, but being over 6' tall I much prefer having the controls a bit higher.

Here's a pic of my cab with the wheels in:
DSC02367.jpg

Last edited:

MasonSushi

n00b
I was able ot scrounge up some 2.5" casters with a flat mounting bracket. they can support 225 pounds each. It works great. The arcade caba is in a playroom with carpet and extra thick padding. Ideed to be able to access the back and move it from wall to wall if needed.

Mr. Mark

n00b
If you get this completed and it works how you wanted can you let me know because I've been thinking about something like this as well.

JoshuaMiller

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Sorta Related-

I'm looking for replacement castors for a Konami Windy cab, does anyone know something that will fit where the factory ones attach?

Any info greatly appreciated.