Quality MAMEcabs

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
The one and only place where workmanship has actually made a MAME experience not something to vomit or kill over.

Note: A hundred million points to the dude that somehow finds an XArcade MAME stick in a cabinet that DOESN'T cause the cabinet to instantly turn shit.

Reasons for the nomination:
  • Unique MAME theme (NASA)
  • 'MURICA!
  • Padhacks for the Joysticks and Buttons
  • Not a single panel-side hex bolt in sight
  • XBOX1 Emulation instead of PC Fuckery
  • Coin Slots do things
  • Only THREE extra buttons
  • 4:3 Monitor

Last edited:

ccosby

n00b
I've seen a x-gaming tank stick put on whatever cabinet virtua fighter 1 came in(factory cab). They removed the metal control panel and took the wood sides(for the cp) off. Wish I had a picture of it. It almost looked like it belonged. If they had done a slightly better job with the work I think it would have been fine. They also threw a wide screen lcd behind the 25 inch bezel and that looked like crap though.

dgame

Cheng's Errand Boy
10 Year Member
Nice build. So what do you guys think about the angled joysticks for Player 3 and Player 4?

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
I still think it looks dumb. If you absolutely need 4 players, then find or reproduce an existing cabinet. TMNT, Captain Commando, Xmen cabinets have simple color schemes, enough room and aren't eyesores. There's plenty of hardware and software out there to convert the old monitors to run off whatever you want.

Not to mention the fact that you can link Candys or use two 2p panels on a Versus city, if that isn't cost prohibitive.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I still think it looks dumb. If you absolutely need 4 players, then find or reproduce an existing cabinet. TMNT, Captain Commando, Xmen cabinets have simple color schemes, enough room and aren't eyesores. There's plenty of hardware and software out there to convert the old monitors to run off whatever you want.

Not to mention the fact that you can link Candys or use two 2p panels on a Versus city, if that isn't cost prohibitive.

This is the part where I call bullshit on your entire argument. Simple color schemes? Enough room? Aren't eyesores? I think you've forgotten what a 4-player cab looks like

konami-x-men.jpg
002.jpg

And then Captain Commando? That's just a Blig Blue and they're only a bit better. Definitely not a Captain Commando though.

CAPTCOMMANDO.JPG

On the TMNT and Xmen they have colorful and busy side art vinyl decals, a far cry from anything simple. And on all three cabs the joysticks are not only angled, but the buttons on players 3 and 4 are in shitty places. Those two players are forced to stand at the cab like it was a dinner table and keep their head turned left or right to not stare gayly into each other eyes the entire time.

And use two candy cabs linked if you want four players? What crack smoking is this. Why should the guy have to adhere to your standards of style and force two candy cabs to play four player MAME? Really???

Last edited:

codecrank

Whip's Subordinate
10 Year Member
looks clean, the panel is not overdone with every controls possible, and lit up like a xmas tree.

but I find the two 6 button controls too close to each other. I'd hate to play fighting games against someone on that. Most 4 player mame cabs I see are like that though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I think given the various compromises one might make to make it a 4 player cab with two 6 button configurations he did an excellent job.

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
This is the part where I call bullshit on your entire argument. Simple color schemes? Enough room? Aren't eyesores? I think you've forgotten what a 4-player cab looks like

And then Captain Commando? That's just a Blig Blue and they're only a bit better. Definitely not a Captain Commando though.

On the TMNT and Xmen they have colorful and busy side art vinyl decals, a far cry from anything simple. And on all three cabs the joysticks are not only angled, but the buttons on players 3 and 4 are in shitty places. Those two players are forced to stand at the cab like it was a dinner table and keep their head turned left or right to not stare gayly into each other eyes the entire time.

And use two candy cabs linked if you want four players? What crack smoking is this. Why should the guy have to adhere to your standards of style and force two candy cabs to play four player MAME? Really???

So you don't agree with me? That's fine. That cab isn't yours, is it?

I don't like the multicolored buttons with the CP with no actual connecting theme. I don't like the buttons on the bottom. I don't like the red glowing light. I don't like cabinets designed to look like a racecar bed with five unnecessary buttons.

That's my opinion. While I don't think it's the worst mamecab I've seen, it's far from the best. I actually really like Big Blues, also.

My question is why you're so offended by my opinion? If someone wants to spend their money to hook up two cabs, while retaining all the features of both cabs, what's the problem? And if two guys want to stare at each other lovingly and not stare at the screen, why would it matter anyway? And since when does this guy in a garage have to adhere to a random internet commenter's standard of style?

If this is yours, and you're offended, I don't really care. If it's not yours, and you're offended, I don't really care.

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
So you don't agree with me? That's fine. That cab isn't yours, is it?

I don't like the multicolored buttons with the CP with no actual connecting theme. I don't like the buttons on the bottom. I don't like the red glowing light. I don't like cabinets designed to look like a racecar bed with five unnecessary buttons.

That's my opinion. While I don't think it's the worst mamecab I've seen, it's far from the best. I actually really like Big Blues, also.

My question is why you're so offended by my opinion? If someone wants to spend their money to hook up two cabs, while retaining all the features of both cabs, what's the problem? And if two guys want to stare at each other lovingly and not stare at the screen, why would it matter anyway? And since when does this guy in a garage have to adhere to a random internet commenter's standard of style?

If this is yours, and you're offended, I don't really care. If it's not yours, and you're offended, I don't really care.

Listen, you can have your opinion and that's fine. Just don't talk out your ass about things you're wrong about because you're letting nostalgia or unrealistic expectations get the better of you. Do a google or common-sense search before you post.

And if you've seen better MAME cabinets then post them. That's the point of the thread. You think this one's not great? Show me something better.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet

Who is the ugly ginger they have portraying april?

EDIT: Im sorry, Im sorry, she doesnt have freckles so she is a "day walker" my bad!

EDIT2: Just looked at the pic again, WTF is going on with her body? She has the torso of a adult and the legs of a midget! I'm sorry, im sorry, "little person" my bad!

Last edited:

cornerstone

King's Dry Cleaner
Listen, you can have your opinion and that's fine. Just don't talk out your ass about things you're wrong about because you're letting nostalgia or unrealistic expectations get the better of you. Do a google or common-sense search before you post.

And if you've seen better MAME cabinets then post them. That's the point of the thread. You think this one's not great? Show me something better.

Yeah, I could definitely say that nostalgia has gotten the better of me. I think my mind probably ignores some of the faults of those old cabinets. But my point still stands. Almost any restored cabinet running mame is better than what you've posted. There's some good ones on KLOV. Also any clone cabs work fine as well. I'm partial to Kraylix stuff. So look them up if you're inclined.

I guess I'll have to wait to get answers to my other questions some other time.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The CP in the original video is fine. Four buttons for 1 and 4 is alright considering that it'll work with the Capcom D&D games while the ones in the middle have a full six buttons. It's when people go overboard when they put in a trackball and an extra 4 way joystick to play DK/Pac-Man that it gets really stupid.

Don

Camel Slug
I like this one, very unique style and it caters to pre jamma classics. You could do multi-boards, play ports or use converters but a nice all in one like this, would be cool.

fun-mame2.jpg

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I like it.

My only complain is the spacing of 1P and 2P buttons. He should've made them farther apart for fighting games as they are way too close. Additionally, he should've went with a curved button layout, its just ergonomics!