Question about bootlegs

eccs19

New Challenger
I'm new to the Neo sceen, and have been reading alot of questions about people trying to figure out if they have legits or bootlegs. I do know what the difference is between one and the other, but other than the fact one is original, and one is a copy, what is the real disadvantage of having a bootleg? I understand that some games may not run properly, etc, but if you get one that runs fine, should it be a problem running them? I'm just sorta confused about the whole issue.

I've got 4 games that game with the machine, and I'm assuming they are legit, but could be completely wrong.

Thanks for any pointers / tips you may have.

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Low quality parts, premature failure, unbalanced gameplay, wrong endings, level orders rearranged, low to no resell value...

I think the biggest one is shoddy parts.

eccs19

New Challenger
topher said:
Low quality parts, premature failure, unbalanced gameplay, wrong endings, level orders rearranged, low to no resell value...

I think the biggest one is shoddy parts.

Is there any sort of list that can be used to cross reference chip numbers or anything like that, that may help me determine if mine are legit?

Paulie G

Zero's Secretary
Click on the master list (on the left of the screen)

You can find a full list of NGH # there.

WRAITH1108

n00b
Bootlegs!

You can also look for eprom chips on the board. They have a little infared window in the middle. That is so that they can be flashed.:multi_co:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
WRAITH1108 said:
They have a little infared window in the middle.
UV. Wrong end of the spectrum. ;)

And if a boot works fine, then there's really no disadvantage to it (besides the fact that it may stop working sooner than expected).