Question for TG-16 Experts

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
I already have a Turbo Duo. I'm thinking of picking up an original PC Engine...
So... I've got all the bases covered, right?

Any JPN Hu Card can be played in the PCE, US Hu Card, All CDs in the Duo.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
Technically you can't play any arcade card CD games because there was never a USA released arcade system card. Other than that and the 5 SGX games, yeah, everything. I wish I still had my Duo R right about now.

acem77

Over Top Auto Mechanic
20 Year Member
just get an adapter jap to usa for the duo for the cards, and you can use arcade card cd games also.

I guess a supergrafx with an internal region mod + cdrom + arcade card
Would cover all the bases

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
i went the route of converter as well.

if you want the hardware you should have it covered.
You can use the converter and an arcade card on the duo.

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Duo + converter and Arcade card is your best bet. That combo will play any game on the system.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
just get an adapter jap to usa for the duo for the cards, and you can use arcade card cd games also.

I guess a supergrafx with an internal region mod + cdrom + arcade card
Would cover all the bases

I recall hearing that a region mod on a SuperGrafx will prevent one of the SG games from working, regardless of the region it's set to. Don't remember which game it was though.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
people like to bring up converters but, where can you buy one thats not ebay?

id suggest region modding it (pretty neat and easy mod to do with a multiplexor.) or picking up a japanese cd set up, that is if arcade cds are something you want to play. i dont know about the super cdrom 2 (the grey one) but the original one is pretty unreliable. ive had two lasers go bad on me. i think theres a replacement though, you can find more information on replacement parts at the pcenginefx forums.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I recall hearing that a region mod on a SuperGrafx will prevent one of the SG games from working, regardless of the region it's set to. Don't remember which game it was though.

If you're talking about Aldynes, it does work on a modded system. However, if you watch the opening movie at the beginning, the game will freeze at the part where the planes on the runway are being destroyed. The game still works but, you have to skip the opening video.

I was actually the person who reported this to Dean (D-Lite) after he modded my Supergrafx, BTW.

Jon

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Jon talk to member JetBlue, he has a mod for what you're looking for. He's also a helluva good guy.

Blaine

Hinako's Cook
people like to bring up converters but, where can you buy one thats not ebay?

This is why I was just going to go with the PCE. Whenever I do find them they're not cheap. I now know 3 people who live in Japan where you can pick up a loose PCE for damn near pocket change... so it'd be a lot cheaper.

That said, the Arcade card is a shot in the pills.

Now, does anyone know what actually is all in a converter card? Is it just re-routing the pins in or are there actual components in there?

Deuce

Death Before Dishonesty, Logic Above All,
Now, does anyone know what actually is all in a converter card? Is it just re-routing the pins in or are there actual components in there?

Just pin rerouting.

darcotrigger

Zero's Tailor
If you're talking about Aldynes, it does work on a modded system. However, if you watch the opening movie at the beginning, the game will freeze at the part where the planes on the runway are being destroyed. The game still works but, you have to skip the opening video.

I was actually the person who reported this to Dean (D-Lite) after he modded my Supergrafx, BTW.

Jon

Cool! Thanks for the correction. I find this kind of stuff to be interesting.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
yeah it swaps around the 8? data pins.

you can do it with an 8pdt switch but thats huge, hard to find, and a mess. a multiplexor works great for this setup. you can find writeups around if its something you would want to try. the hardest part is dealing with how small the pins are on the card slot.